Author Topic: 1978 cb750f rear set advice  (Read 384 times)

Offline Jake750

1978 cb750f rear set advice
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:55:17 am »
Going for that classy but here to party café racer/brat style build. About to pull the trigger on a pair of cognitomoto's rear sets. They look nice, move the pegs back a decent amount, and can accommodate a gsxr rear brake master cylinder.

Has anyone used these? Cognitomoto is the only shop that makes bolt on rearsets for the 1978 cb750f that I have found so far. Any other options available? Thoughts/opinions/fatherly advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1978 cb750f rear set advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:01 am »
Cognito just sells tarozzi universal rearsets along with their own custom mount bracket.  Pretty sure fastfromthepast has complete tarozzi bolt on rearsets specifically for the 77/78 cb750f2/3.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Jake750

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:23:07 am »
Hey thanks for the response. I just checked their website. They have bolt rearsets for the 750f2 but not the f3. Not sure the compatibility between the two.
Just looked up the differences between f2/f3, seems to be very compatible

Soo the tarozzi rearsets on fastfromthepast are both brackets and pegs? Cognitomoto just machines their own brackets to fit the tarozzi pegs? Let me know if were on the same page.

Thanks brotha
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:37:14 am by Jake750 »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:32:32 pm »
as far as anyone knows, f2 and f3 differ only in what paint colors were originally offered

yup you got it pretty much right...  fastfromthepast sells Tarozzi, who offers both complete bolt on rearsets for specific applications no additional parts needed

or...

universal  rearsets including just pegs, levers, and linkages and you must figure out how to attach them to your bike

...so Cognito is just using the universal set to which they add there own mounting bracket, and to be honest, the cb550 brackets I have from them are ridiculously overbuilt, heavy, and crudely torch cut from 1/2" steel plate.  I think these have been improved since then at least as much as they are available in aluminum, but not really sure

Overall, the quality of Tarrozi stuff is not stellar either, especially given the price, the castings and finishes are somewhat crude.  But the stuff fits and functions, is very well designed, holds up better than it looks like it would, and fastfromthepast offers every single little nut, bolt, clevis and casting for replacement if you break anything.

I have Tarrozi rearsets on 2 bikes, one for a few years, and 10s of thousands of miles and am well pleased and will certainly buy more.  I have also pieced together rearsets from some of this and a little bit of that, and I can tell you, it is very time consuming and the results were less than satisfactory.  So maybe buying the specific fit application is not such a bad deal after all.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:14:23 pm »
CognitoMoto has an in house CNC machine now, so maybe the brackets are CNC milled or cut now... Never hurts to ask via a phone call.
David
David- back in the desert SW!