Author Topic: Now sales tax on everything on ebay  (Read 1898 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Now sales tax on everything on ebay
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »
 More and more extraction. I live in Massachusetts (not for much longer) and tax after tax after tax with NO overall improvement in infrastructure, standard of living etc etc. I still have to pay 5.00 a year in excise tax for a 45 year old motorcycle. Christ on a cracker.....when does it end?? Greediest scum bags on earth.
 I would recommend using the "parts for sale" or "parts wanted" sections on forums like this to sell or by parts....screw the aholes.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
Re: Now sales tax on everything on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 01:07:16 pm »
I lived in Taxachussets for 2 years and was amazed by the fees and taxes for vehicles there.

Online Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 04:15:01 pm »
Yeah I bought something off ebay not too long ago and noticed an extra fee on my paypal acct. Couldn't figure out what it was at first until I searched around a bit and realized it was a sales tax.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 04:42:58 pm »
 Right now as of this writing E-bay is forced to collect sales tax from 34 states. https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/tax-information.html#ist

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:50:27 pm »
More and more extraction. I live in Massachusetts (not for much longer) and tax after tax after tax with NO overall improvement in infrastructure, standard of living etc etc. I still have to pay 5.00 a year in excise tax for a 45 year old motorcycle. Christ on a cracker.....when does it end?? Greediest scum bags on earth.
 I would recommend using the "parts for sale" or "parts wanted" sections on forums like this to sell or by parts....screw the aholes.

Don't you know? The government knows how to spend waste your money better than you do!

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 06:44:49 pm »

Don't you know? The government knows how to spend waste your money better than you do!

Uh huh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J-Rod10

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:19:39 am »
Right now as of this writing E-bay is forced to collect sales tax from 34 states. https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/tax-information.html#ist
And, in other states (such as mine) a business with over $100K in revenue on online sales has to pay in.

I'm not necessarily against it, but I don't particularly like it, either. Online sales has absolutely put a hole in state, and local, budgets over lack of sales tax.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:57:43 am »
In my state there is a bill to lower car tabs to $30 for the second time. The first time it passed by a wide margin so they almost immediately started adding new fees to the $30 car tabs. There is also a thing called The Sound Transit District that is adding fees to the car tabs using a fee scale that values every car as brand new to calculate your fee with no depreciation. The opposition is running an ad against the bill claiming a bridge collapsed due to lack of funding from $30 car tabs but in reality where most of us live it was hit by an oversize load that took out main supports and it fell into the river behind the truck. They got called out for it and another ad full of lies but continue to run the ads. The Transit District doesn't want to amend their illegal fee rates because it will mess up their schedule. Welcome to Washington where it is okay to lie, cheat and steal as long as it is for a "good cause". Sales tax on the internet was bound to happen, too much money being spent without the states getting a cut.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 10:02:20 am »
In my state there is a bill to lower car tabs to $30 for the second time. The first time it passed by a wide margin so they almost immediately started adding new fees to the $30 car tabs. There is also a thing called The Sound Transit District that is adding fees to the car tabs using a fee scale that values every car as brand new to calculate your fee with no depreciation. The opposition is running an ad against the bill claiming a bridge collapsed due to lack of funding from $30 car tabs but in reality where most of us live it was hit by an oversize load that took out main supports and it fell into the river behind the truck. They got called out for it and another ad full of lies but continue to run the ads. The Transit District doesn't want to amend their illegal fee rates because it will mess up their schedule. Welcome to Washington where it is okay to lie, cheat and steal as long as it is for a "good cause". Sales tax on the internet was bound to happen, too much money being spent without the states getting a cut.

The standard bearer for the car tab initiative in WA state is a total wackjob which is not helping. Tim Eyman is being sued by the state for misusing campaign funds, and he was busted for shoplifting from Office Depot this year (speaking of lying, cheating and stealing...). WA -- or Seattle, specifically -- needs solutions to its insane traffic problem. I grew up in Seattle, a rare native, and every time I go back I am amazed at how bad traffic is. Funding alternatives is a pretty smart idea.

Offline FourUsTry

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:35:17 pm »

Ah, Mike. Just another MA grouch... like me! (Greetings from Needham)
1978 CB550K

Past:
2001 VFR800
1980 CX500

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:46:17 pm »

Ah, Mike. Just another MA grouch... like me! (Greetings from Needham)

It is funny (sad or odd) that the state that had the famous tea party to protest (strongly) about taxation without representation and oppressive taxation would have one of the worst tax issues in the country.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 04:08:23 pm »
i buy a lot of records from the uk on ebay and they're ( not surprisingly ) all s/hand, i'm getting hit with our local sales tax here in australia ( 10% ) by ebay even though there is no sales tax here on s/hand goods.....
i blame Terry

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 05:56:43 pm »

The standard bearer for the car tab initiative in WA state is a total wackjob which is not helping. Tim Eyman is being sued by the state for misusing campaign funds, and he was busted for shoplifting from Office Depot this year (speaking of lying, cheating and stealing...). WA -- or Seattle, specifically -- needs solutions to its insane traffic problem. I grew up in Seattle, a rare native, and every time I go back I am amazed at how bad traffic is. Funding alternatives is a pretty smart idea.

I grew up in Seattle too and I would never go back. I moved north in the 90's and bought acreage even farther north in 2000.  It was a great place in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I don't trust anyone associated with politics and Seattle politics is a circus of colossal proportions.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 04:55:18 pm »
Paid the eBay sales tax for the first time.

Get ready to see double transactions in your bank accounts everyone.  Apparently the AP&R folks at eBay neglected to build the sales tax into the initial purchase transaction.

So $46 for the new part showed up first, then the $4.50 tax shows up second.

Wonder how long until they fix that.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 05:40:45 am »
The thing I find most aggravating is the revenue generated by these taxes fly under the radar. Where is it being appropriated?? We'll never know as it is thrown into one, general fund (that's all a state budget is in reality) and gets doled out on "special projects' etc. No real improvement in infrastructure and other things that improve quality of life for law abiding tax paying citizens.
 California got whacked with that huge gasoline tax increase a year ago but in talking to people that live there not much in the way of bridge repair etc has started to take place.
 I know I'm preaching to the choir but it drives me crazy.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 07:46:11 am »
I agree, where does it go, and for who’s benefit???

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:39 am »
 Bought 3 different items for my lawn tractor on E-bay this week from different vendors and no sales tax on anything. Must have got lucky.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 09:47:00 am »
 It's not applicable in all states...YET....
 Just wait  BadSanta, my be  bringing it to you for Christmas..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:31 am »

An answer that is not too hard to find.  Plenty of information out there on the waste of taxpayer dollars, federal, state and local.  Nobody's fault but ours because we let it happen.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 01:02:28 pm »

An answer that is not too hard to find.  Plenty of information out there on the waste of taxpayer dollars, federal, state and local.  Nobody's fault but ours because we let it happen.
Yep, people keep on electing the same dirtbags over and over again till they get too much power and everyone suffers for it. Every elected position should have term limits to prevent it.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline jamesw

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 04:30:25 pm »
Where are ya movin to Mike?
72K-F 750 Cafe
75K 750 Cafe
75F 750 Restoration

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 07:00:47 pm »
Received an email from eBay last week stating I could file a tax exemption certificate as a seller if applicable.
Probably be OK if I was a commercial seller, new the rules and/or had a tax accountant that did.
Terrible for the casual "I'm gonna put it on eBay" sellers and buyers.

I'm with many of you guys wandering where the hell are all of our confiscated tax dollars going? This is BS!

Does it ever end before we are all penniless and depending on the government for our daily existence?

They basically ALREADY have us by the balls! And they are suppose to be working FOR US? Unfortunately, we have allowed it!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 11:43:21 am »
Yeah, Ebay is a wonderful thing, but in recent months I've been buying heaps of stuff from Ebay USA, so with our dwindling dollar, "Goods and Services Tax" (GST) I'm paying an extra 10% on the items and shipping. Some of the items I've bought are used parts that GST should not be applied to, but Ebay doesn't distinguish between new or used items, so I cop the tax on that too.

I often wonder whether Ebay actually passes on that tax to the Oz government, considering that they know they shouldn't be collecting tax on used items? I must ask. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 02:35:20 pm »
Yeah, Ebay is a wonderful thing, but in recent months I've been buying heaps of stuff from Ebay USA, so with our dwindling dollar, "Goods and Services Tax" (GST) I'm paying an extra 10% on the items and shipping. Some of the items I've bought are used parts that GST should not be applied to, but Ebay doesn't distinguish between new or used items, so I cop the tax on that too.

I often wonder whether Ebay actually passes on that tax to the Oz government, considering that they know they shouldn't be collecting tax on used items? I must ask. ;D
Terry is that wonderful GST which sounds a lot like a VAT just on items a person imports which I assume or things you buy domestically also.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 03:07:36 pm »
G'Day Eric, it's on everything. I don't mind paying it on new items, because before the introduction of the GST sales tax was around 22%, but sales tax on used items sold by guys on Ebay is a bit rough. I'm betting that Ebay is making money out of this. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)