Author Topic: Noticed a couple things on my first rides yesterday  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
Re: Noticed a couple things on my first rides yesterday
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2020, 12:13:40 am »
Pielz,
How many different carburetor types have you worked on before ?
A few bikes covering the range of basic styles of carbs that keihin and mikuni made in the 70s and early 80s, (cx500, gs850, my 125 and 750), newer Suzuki carbs like the ones on the DRZ450s, various carbs for lawn equipment, and I have 2nd hand experience with carbs from basically most bikes of the 70s and 80s just watching folks work on them. As well as carbs from classic cars but definitely not much experience with bigger vehicles.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2020, 12:15:59 am »
I ordered a set of K&L needles. Made in Japan. I've read good things. Weren't particularly cheap either. 30 something bucks. Not quite OEM but I just can't bring myself to spend like 20 bucks per needle.

Did some reading about using a drill and q-tip for those seats and honestly I haven't really read anyone else saying not to do that. Some folks using a high speed drill and carb cleaner on a q-tip. I have a feeling cotton and paper would have a hard time even scratching brass too, right? Laws of hardness, etc. Especially at the like ~100 rpm that the old ass Porter Cable drill I used was spinning.

Anyone else have any input on that?

Realized I posted this comment in the wrong thread. Meant to post it here. Sorry.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2020, 09:01:52 am »
Update for anyone curious, those K&L needles solved the leakage problem. They worked really well. Now for some reason cylinder 1 is running cold. Fortunately I can just spray the jets out with the carbs on the bike. It's always something