Author Topic: First time showing a bike  (Read 1487 times)

Offline 574hondarider

• Enthusiast
First time showing a bike
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:56:13 am »
Hey guys,

After my cb350f build this past winter, I am about to show it for the first time.  I've never been to a vintage bike show.  Any tips/ideas/advice to make it stand out or anything I should know that will help me show well and have a good time?  Going to Gilmore in Michigan.  Also thinking about renting an enclosed trailer instead of driving it there (hr and a half away), is this recommended?  Thinking of bringing a 10x10 canopy also.  Thanks a lot!!

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
Re: First time showing a bike
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 02:14:39 pm »
Whatever way you like, are u sure it will make it? If you havent done much test riding then i would trailer it there. Im gonna check gilmore out this year it if happens. Ill vote for ya.
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - ongoing
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750 - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 02:47:12 pm »
Guys!  Bike shows are boring.  I just park my bike and spend the whole time in the swap meet...lol just joking...not really.  Seriously, consider coming to Gilmore on saturday for the ride.  Gilmore museum is situated amongst some of the best roads in Michigan and it is a blast to ride them amongst all manner of vintage bikes

Show tips?  Get there early to get the best spots. (another reason to come on saturday for the ride)  Maybe bring a few key detailing items if you have room.  Don't leave your helmet or jacket on your bike and be ready to accept that yours is not the nicest there!  (unless it is!)  Bring relief from possible sunshine, as shade can be a premium commodity at the Gilmore.  Or an umbrella, it is Michigan after all!  Personally, I hate hauling my bikes in a trailer.  It just gives me nightmares of what could happen.  I have not seen anyone use a canopy on the show field at Gilmore.  I don't believe it is allowed but I am not sure of this.

I will probably be there.  See ya!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 02:53:34 pm by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:28:27 pm »
Be aware that there will be helpful people that come along that enjoy pointing out what they "know" is wrong with your bike. Don't rise to the challenge. It's hard to ignore them, I know through experience. Many people will come along with their memories of how much they wanted one, that they had one  and how nice it is to see your good work. Bring a chair! Wear a hat. Bring water. Trailering is a good idea as talking to people all day is tiring. Cliff.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:31:04 pm by Magpie »

Offline 574hondarider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:20:14 am »
Whatever way you like, are u sure it will make it? If you havent done much test riding then i would trailer it there. Im gonna check gilmore out this year it if happens. Ill vote for ya.

Thank you!  I have put 800 miles on her last year so I have plenty of confidence in her, althouth I think I will just rent a trailer to keep it looking good for the show.  I hope it happens this year too and look forward to seeing you there!

Offline 574hondarider

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:21:32 am »
Be aware that there will be helpful people that come along that enjoy pointing out what they "know" is wrong with your bike. Don't rise to the challenge. It's hard to ignore them, I know through experience. Many people will come along with their memories of how much they wanted one, that they had one  and how nice it is to see your good work. Bring a chair! Wear a hat. Bring water. Trailering is a good idea as talking to people all day is tiring. Cliff.

Thanks for the advice!  Yeah it is draining talking to people all day, as I am introverted by nature.