Author Topic: New to Motogadget - a couple questions  (Read 1136 times)

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
New to Motogadget - a couple questions
« on: November 24, 2020, 06:05:56 pm »
Howdy everyone? As the title states I have little to none experience with Motogadget. I bought a bike that had it already installed by the previous owner. He did a very good job. Everything works, except the Neutral light (I know that the switch is good). I just did a complete engine rebuild and next will be installation of raised clip-ons to get a bit better riding position. Since I have to take the triple tree off, I thought this would be a good opportunity to look into that Neutral light problem.

I downloaded the Motogadget manual (btw the German version is so much better, at least for native speakers  ;)) and I was able to program turn signals and all that stuff by using the wire from the unit to ground.

Now my first question, assuming the wire from the neutral light to the switch is good as well (haven't checked that yet) how do I test the diodes in the Motogadget Mini unit? Those are diodes and not bulbs, right? I think I can check them with the diode setting on the multi-meter, right? But how do I know what the cathode is? Any input appreciated, thanks! Pic of the bike attached.

1978 CB750K, 2016 R1200 GS/LC, 1973 R75/5

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: New to Motogadget - a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 04:41:27 am »
First order of business would be to test whether the wire from the NEU switch itself is a NEG and not a POS.

I am a bit unclear as to the problem you are describing. Is the NEU light on the cluster not working, or within the MG Mini unit? If the unit itself is misbehaving, then source the wire from the Mini, ground it, then add 12v power source to the Mini input. If the light burns, your problem is the wire from the switch (or the switch itself).

Am I understanding your issue properly?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:18:16 am »
Sorry about my vague description, I am old and this stuff is new to me....let me try again!

But first what do you mean with "cluster"? I have the triple tree with the Mini unit and then separately from the Mini I have the lights for neutral, turn, high beam and oil pressure inside the top triple. All of them are working except the Neutral. The neutral is a switched ground at the engine, that switch is working, I tested it when I had the engine apart.

I assume you are saying all those lights have a positive connected (switched through ignition) and to test them I manually should ground the negative of the neutral, just like I would test a regular light bulb?

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:09:57 am »
Correct. What you have is a CognitoMoto top clamp with a MotoGadget Mini inlaid. The indicator bulbs are separate LEDs for Turn, Oil, Neu. Those LEDS are expecting both + and - wires. It is possible the LED is bad, but do test it first.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:04:27 am »
Got it thanks. The top clamp needs to come off, because I want to install raised clip-ons and need to reroute some of the wiring, so doing it all at the same time will make things easier! I'll report back how it goes!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 06:00:23 pm »
Made some progress. Long story short, LED was shot. Luckily I had an old battery charger lying around that had a green LED in there! Soldered it in and it works! Thanks again!

Offline Smowzer

• 1976 CB750 K6 custom
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 10:13:01 pm »
Made some progress. Long story short, LED was shot. Luckily I had an old battery charger lying around that had a green LED in there! Soldered it in and it works! Thanks again!
Gotta love when it's nice and simple like that!