Author Topic: eBay Links Routed Through "infopicked.com" and "swagbucks.com"  (Read 863 times)

Offline StockRider

• Sustaining SOHC/4
  • Enthusiast
  • Well, I thought it was stock...
eBay Links Routed Through "infopicked.com" and "swagbucks.com"
« on: February 09, 2021, 09:59:50 am »
Why does following some links on this forum route traffic through 3rd party ad/malware/cashback sites?

Example, the eBay link in this post: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,185874.msg2153564.html#msg2153564

When I click the link in that post it sends me to:
If I cut and paste the eBay URL then I get straight to the item.

It doesn't happen for every link so I don't think it is a local infection of my browser/PC. Anybody else notice this issue?
'70 CB750K0 - "Truck" | 4x4 | 4 Cables/4 Carbs/4 Cyls/4 Pipes | PO: "Old J.O.", a.k.a. Dad, Ride Free Brother!

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: eBay Links Routed Through "infopicked.com" and "swagbucks.com"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:12:06 am »
Same experience for me using Chrome browser. I'm not enjoying it.

Offline StockRider

• Sustaining SOHC/4
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 04:55:24 am »
I have tested this on three different browsers(Chrome, Firefox, & Edge) and on different platforms/devices.

It has the feeling of an affiliate links program (eBay Partner Networks, etc.) but I am not familiar with how those work.

I'm not saying that this is what is happening but..., I wouldn't mind if the forum is creating revenue to cover costs by being a part of an affiliate program. However, when links are broken and they don't get to the item that is being supplied as an answer to a question then the purpose of the forum is defeated. And, an affiliate program association, by the forum or a member, should be disclosed in my opinion.
'70 CB750K0 - "Truck" | 4x4 | 4 Cables/4 Carbs/4 Cyls/4 Pipes | PO: "Old J.O.", a.k.a. Dad, Ride Free Brother!

Offline StockRider

• Sustaining SOHC/4
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 05:10:36 am »
Link Trace attached.

Offline Glenn Stauffer

• SOHC/4 #3 - Member since 1994
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • The SOHC/4 Owners Group
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:56:44 am »
Still the same behavior?  I disabled an old plugin that might have been responsible.

Why does following some links on this forum route traffic through 3rd party ad/malware/cashback sites?

Example, the eBay link in this post: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,185874.msg2153564.html#msg2153564

When I click the link in that post it sends me to:
If I cut and paste the eBay URL then I get straight to the item.

It doesn't happen for every link so I don't think it is a local infection of my browser/PC. Anybody else notice this issue?

Offline StockRider

• Sustaining SOHC/4
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 01:50:25 pm »
Thanks Glenn! It looks like that got it. I tried three different eBay links in the forums that I haven't clicked before and all three went straight to the item listing. Thanks again!

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 06:56:18 pm »
Looks like it's working normally again for me too. I just clicked on the link in this thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=185944.0;topicseen and went directly to the item..... For the first time in a little while.

Thanks for looking into this and taking action.