Author Topic: 98 XR 400 Opinions  (Read 183 times)

Offline jgger

• Master
98 XR 400 Opinions
« on: October 30, 2023, 10:31:32 pm »
Toying with the idea of a 98 Honda XR 400. Add sats a Mikuni carb, but leaks and some suspension work butno details. What are the " watch outs" for this bike? I haven't contacted the guy but was just wondering about the possible bads on this model.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: 98 XR 400 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:01:13 am »
Following
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 01:41:49 pm »
The stock Keihin carb is pretty crappy, so the Mikuni should be a plus.  XR400 is really tall and kickstart only and takes a heavy boot, so if you are short of leg, they are hard to start.  Once started though tons of great low end torque and power up high.  They are great bikes.  Super tough, beat on it all you want.  Certain years have a weak countershaft.  A stronger one from a later year swaps in but you gotta split the cases to do it, which is not as huge an ordeal as you would think...these are simple and straight forward to work on.  Everybody goes gaga over the 600's, but the 400 is better in the tough stuff due to lighter weight.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 02:09:51 pm »
Thanks, do you happen to know the years with the weak counter shaft? I stand 6ft and about 180ish, so kicking shouldn't be an issue.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 05:01:55 pm »
Sorry, I used to but have forgotten.  I replaced a broken counter shaft for a buddy several years ago.  It was a pretty easy weekend job to pull the engine, tear it down, split the cases, and put it all back.  There is a great forum covering dirt bikes called Thumper Talk.  Excellent source of info. 
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 05:20:36 pm »
I followed a post from "Other Bikes" on Hondatwins.net a few years back.
I fellow bought an XR400 and enjoyed it;he made it 'Street Legal' also(turned it into an On/Off enduro)using parts from other models and the company Baja Designs in Ca.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.