Author Topic: Anti-Gravity batteries  (Read 230 times)

Offline M_Stone76?

Anti-Gravity batteries
« on: May 12, 2024, 07:02:54 pm »
Hello,
So i had a huge issue today with my 76’ 750K Cafe build.
After doing some tuning on my bike I went on a 10 mile ride to test everything out. Bike was doing absolutely perfect,
I did rip this bike it it’s limits.
Everything was perfect.

Coming home, I get down the street from my house and my Antigravity Battery exploded and melted down.
Lucky the battery was mounted outside underneath my swing arm. (Yes I realize that is a super dumb location)

I am at a loss of what happened, and I can only rule out that my battery was hit by a rock and popped.
I have ran this setup for about a year and had no problems what so ever.

are there any obvious signs I can look for to rule out anything else
The system is fused, so a short wouldn’t make alot of sense, and the battery over charging would’ve melted down a lot sooner if I’m not mistaken.

I checked all the wiring from the alternator to the battery and ignition coils, no breaks, no shorts, the battery leads even were completely fine.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Anti-Gravity batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 07:40:41 pm »
The Antigravity battery isn't the correct type for a current-limiter charging system. If you installed some some sort of voltage regulator meant for that battery, it might work better? The OEM charger merely responds to battery voltage, switching it to HI charge mode if the battery drops below 12.4 volts.

Lithium batteries like the Antigravity version require "smart" chargers that will start a charge cycle by first tickling the battery until the lithium's resistance responds (chemically, it changes to accept charge) and drops down to accept the incoming current. If this isn't done the lithium can just overheat, even burn, and this often makes the battery cases swell and crack - and sometimes the lithium just catches fire(!).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 07:44:09 pm by HondaMan »
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline M_Stone76?

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 08:39:57 pm »
Ok,
I knew about the special chargers for this battery.
I have a modern regulator rectifier and electronics on this bike.
Like I said, I’ve been running this same setup for a year and no issues, so why now of all times does it decided to blow.
These batteries aren’t that bad , right?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 09:45:02 pm »
Ok,
I knew about the special chargers for this battery.
Like I said, I’ve been running this same setup for a year and no issues, so why now of all times does it decided to blow.

Voltage spike ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 09:45:30 pm »

Exactly what regulator have you been using? Is there any way the battery terminals could have been shorted with your custom installation?
BTW, yours isn't the first Anti-gravity Lithium-Ion battery to suffer from a meltdown. :o
Is
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....