Author Topic: Rearsets on eBay and help finding shifter/brake splined adapters.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
My Tarozzi rearsets from vintage-cosmo on eBay deal fell through. Nice enough guys, but a bit disorganized. I was told that the rearsets got held up in customs, then the order was screwed up and the style I ordered never arrived, etc. After two months they cheerfully refunded my money plus 10% extra, so I'm willing to chalk it up to bum luck. However, if you're ordering anything from vintage-cosmo on eBay, it's probably a good idea to call them first to make sure that the part is actually in stock.

I ended up buying a set of stock rearsets from an '03 ZXR1200, and I like them even better than the Tarozzis! They have short brackets that line up nicely with my frame and look great mocked up...I'll post pics when done.

I'm still in the same boat as before though, no splined collars for the brake shaft and shifter shaft. Omar's sells the Raask adapters for $70 each, which seems awfully steep to me.

Does anyone know of a source to get these parts in the U.S? I don't care what brand they are.

The only other solution I see is to cut down a stock shift lever and brake pedal and use those...seems a little drastic though.  ;)

Jinx
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
Re: Rearsets on eBay and help finding shifter/brake splined adapters.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:31:16 am »
My Tarozzi rearsets from vintage-cosmo on eBay deal fell through. Nice enough guys, but a bit disorganized. I was told that the rearsets got held up in customs, then the order was screwed up and the style I ordered never arrived, etc. After two months they cheerfully refunded my money plus 10% extra, so I'm willing to chalk it up to bum luck. However, if you're ordering anything from vintage-cosmo on eBay, it's probably a good idea to call them first to make sure that the part is actually in stock.

I ended up buying a set of stock rearsets from an '03 ZXR1200, and I like them even better than the Tarozzis! They have short brackets that line up nicely with my frame and look great mocked up...I'll post pics when done.

I'm still in the same boat as before though, no splined collars for the brake shaft and shifter shaft. Omar's sells the Raask adapters for $70 each, which seems awfully steep to me.

Does anyone know of a source to get these parts in the U.S? I don't care what brand they are.

The only other solution I see is to cut down a stock shift lever and brake pedal and use those...seems a little drastic though.  ;)

Jinx

cutting down the stock levers is par for the course, i have seen drag racers do that for years, to the point where they cut their whole lever off and weld on their own tabs to the collar. On the shift side you could cut off the peg, drill a hole and bolt your linkage to that.

That being said I find that honda is pretty standard in the splines they use for certain diameters and some levers off other bikes will fit our bikes also.

If you are not a welder, then $70 is cheap compared to the time you are going to pay one to convert your brake and shift levers. Some machine shops can also machine splined holes for you in some bar stock but I don't know what that costs. I have some kawasaki h1 clevises (the h1's shift linkage uses a pedal and clevis setup rather than have the pedal on the shaft) and can see if they will fit the cb750 (my guess is they wont).
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:33:21 am »
I'm using rearsets from a 650 nighthawk. They still require a modification for the shifter and brake linkage, but the set up so is not complicated.

hym
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:38:33 am »
cutting down the stock levers is par for the course, i have seen drag racers do that for years, to the point where they cut their whole lever off and weld on their own tabs to the collar. On the shift side you could cut off the peg, drill a hole and bolt your linkage to that.

That being said I find that honda is pretty standard in the splines they use for certain diameters and some levers off other bikes will fit our bikes also.

If you are not a welder, then $70 is cheap compared to the time you are going to pay one to convert your brake and shift levers. Some machine shops can also machine splined holes for you in some bar stock but I don't know what that costs. I have some kawasaki h1 clevises (the h1's shift linkage uses a pedal and clevis setup rather than have the pedal on the shaft) and can see if they will fit the cb750 (my guess is they wont).

Thanks for the info Geeto, looks like I'll be cutting down my stock levers after all. I'm not a welder, but I am a weekend machinist so cutting them down is the cheap way out for me.

Machining those internal splines would be an absolute #$%*...guess that's why they're usually cast pieces.  ;)

Jinx
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 02:59:45 pm »
you can ship them over to me and I can weld them for you no charge other than shipping

www.jmfmicroweld.com for shipping instructions

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:18 pm »

Yep. I picked up a set of shift & brake levers, pegs, brackets, rear master cyl, linkages, lines, even bolts, from a 1998 Honda CBR600 F3 for my Cafe project...splines are correct for CB500/550...probably 750, too...   ;)
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...