Author Topic: whats a 1973 350F worth  (Read 7054 times)

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
Re: whats a 1973 350F worth
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 09:32:23 pm »
NADA says:

Excellent:      $1800
Very Good:    $1200
Good:    $675
Fair:    $450
Poor:    N/A
1977 CB750

Offline dustyc

• Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:54 pm »
And the way this reads, those prices are what a dealer would sell for, and private sales are usually less money.

Value Explanations

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling prices. Trade-in and loan values are confidential for our dealers and industry base subscribers. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers and are generally lower than values shown.

Excellent — A close to perfect original or a very well restored motorcycle. A motorcycle that is stunning to look at and any flaws are minor and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, new old stock (NOS) factory replacements, or minimal use of excellent quality reproductions. An excellent condition bike may seem to most individuals as a perfect motorcycle but to the trained expert will have minor flaws or inaccuracies.

Very Good — An extremely presentable original motorcycle showing minimal wear, or a well restored motorcycle. Starts, runs, and rides well. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas have been detailed. Beautiful to look at but below excellent condition because of limited used or restoration flaws.

Good — Presentable sheet metal, engine, and frame with signs of wear. Not totally detailed but very clean. Frame should be straight and unaltered. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or imperfections. Starts, runs, and rides good. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

Fair — Starts, runs, and rides OK but needs some work. Motorcycle shows signs of use but not abuse. Any previous restoration or mechanical work is older and not holding up well. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree. This is a complete motorcycle with most sheet metal and body parts being correct but only in fair condition.

Poor — Used for Harley-Davidson and Indian motorcycles only. A poor condition motorcycle has been used and abused and needs major mechanical and/or sheet metal work. It may or may not run. Alterations are evident to the frame or sheet metal. Motorcycle is missing or has incorrect parts, i.e. fenders, tank, seat, mechanics, installed. To some individuals this is a "project or parts bike" at best. A poor condition motorcycle is one best left to the professional for restoration.

"Rule of Thumb"
1. Stated prices are retail
2. Price applies to United States transactions.
3. Be sure condition level is accurately matched as described in the above Condition     Guidelines.
4. Value may vary by region and season. Use the value as a guideline.
5. We assume no responsibility for errors or omissions.
1977 CB750

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 02:46:18 am »
OOPS! Here are the pics, sorry guys!

Before:

After:

How could anyone not like a 350F?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:48:06 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

okie

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 05:09:45 am »
Dustyc, I would bet that less than 1 percent of CB350F sales (or any other vintage, collectible bikes for that matter) are actually reported to NADA.  That makes their info of very little value. 

One factor that isn't discussed here is that the seller has to be willing to sell at a given price.  If you double the NADA prices, that might be a beginning point for negotiating to buy of one of my 350F's.

750goes, from a financial point of view,  it depends on what you plan to do with the bike.  If your ultimate goal is to have a bike that is as close as possible to original showroom new, you will probably be better off to find one that is already restored and buy it.  As has already been stated, parts can get very expensive.  If you just like working on bikes, the one you asked about might be a great deal at $150.  Be sure to include the cost of transporting the bike in the price.  Getting any bike home could cost you over $500 if it is very far away.  That might make the $150 bike not such a good deal.  In September I paid $850 for a fairly clean, running 350F that was less than 200 miles from me.  It had new tires and a seat that was difficult to distinguish from brand new.  Even though it looked good on the outside, the fuel tank was so bad that I threw it in the dumpster(long story for a different time).  I have quite a bit of experience in buying and selling bikes, and I am pretty happy with what I got for what I paid.

The bottom line is, prices are all over the place.  I've seen 350F's go for over 5K and I've seen some I wouldn't take home if they were free and next door to my house.  Do whatever makes you feel good. 

Offline dustyc

• Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 08:05:06 am »
I don't know what percent report their sales, but a published number seems better to me than Q: "How much is it worth?" A:"How much you got?" or "How much will you give?" or "What's it worth to you?"  And I've seen reputable dealers prices that fall within the prices I've looked up. 

There's a certain attachment we get with our possessions that make us think they are more valuable than they are.  We also justify how much we have paid or overpaid for something.  Having a published guideline helps bring us back to the reality that if it was destroyed, insurance will only give a certain amount for a replacement.

Just trying to help 750goes not pay too much based on emotion.
1977 CB750

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 01:44:16 pm »
If you read this thread from the start, you might see that the issue is over with...

bike sold a week ago...and I didn't bid on it...

thanks for your comments anyway....

Offline dustyc

• Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 01:48:09 pm »
I did.  But since you didn't buy it, I thought you might still be in the market for one.
1977 CB750

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 06:32:02 am »

How could anyone not like a 350F?  ;D

Did I ever say they were not pretty bikes? The fact that they look good was one of the reasons I bought my old one in the first place. It even came in one of my favorite honda colors. However once I rode it, it was the worst bike I ever rode. It wasn't even fun in that I am going to try and kill it sort of way. Terry, being that you and I are of similar stature (I'm 1 inch taller and 20lbs heavier) I think you know why I found this bike apalling. Even my 5'5" vespa riding jockey sized friends said that bike was slow. It really needs the 400F engine in it to even start to be competent. In combination to that it was also the most boring handling bike I have ever ridden, and it took some work to truly be smooth. Sure she is pretty to look at but as a functioning bike they are as worthless as they come. I had two other friends who owned them around the same time I did, both of them were normal sized, and both of them felt the same way I did about the 350f. The fact that you have to wring its neck to just keep up with American traffic is not fun. 

As far as setting bikes on fire...I say that in jest...anyone who knows me knows that if I saw a bike on fire I would be the first one to come over with a fire extinguisher.  If it is a 305f however I will probably walk and not run to put out the fire. ;D

I make no apologies for anything I said. I firmly believe that if you are going to ask "What is it worth" you should state WHERE YOU ARE and whether the bike you are looking at is ON EBAY or not. This are both things that make a huge difference in what the fair market value is.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 10:25:34 pm »
Have a good Christmas mate! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)