Author Topic: CB550F cafe/racer project continued...  (Read 11280 times)

rlarkin70

Re: CB550F cafe/racer project continued...
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 10:06:12 pm »
thanks! but I feel like I am just stumbling through this, and learning a lot along the way. most of this type of stuff I haven't done before, but I'm taking it slow, making mistakes, and then trying again.

case in point: after mocking up the tach on the left, then the right...I have decided to put it right in the middle!  I made a bracket that fits right where the ignition key originally mounted.  I found a piece of metal at Ace hardware for less than $1. I measured the holes on tach and key mount, made a template, cut the piece using a basic scroll saw, bent one part of it to clear the tach cable, filed down the sharp edges, and drilled the mounting holes.

as you can see, I bolted the ignition switch to the right of the tach onto the top-triple mount that used to hold the original speedo/tach bracket. it looks a bit clunky there, so I may move it. Also, I think I am going to scrap the original idea I had with that switch panel, and do something a bit different...along the same lines, but maybe separate the oil/neutral light and the switches. I found the panel I made too hard to mount nicely to the top-triple. I shouldn't have soldered the wiring until after I had it mounted. oh well..live and learn.

-Ron

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
Ron

I like the tach in the center too. Nice and clean.

When you are cutting out the centre of your bracket for the tach cable, I fould that if I drilled two larger holes at the inside corners it gives enough room to turn a hacksaw blade (or better yet Bandsaw) to cut out the center piece. Finish with a file and it cleans up real nice.

Project looks awesome.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

rlarkin70

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:40 pm »
Good idea. I have a lot to learn about metal working and fabrication.

I took some photos of the bike today, it really is getting close to being able to ride it again. Tonight I'm going to put the oil back in and change the filter, then it's ready to start for the first time since New Years day.

Last minor items are to fabricate some brackets to mount the oil/neutral lights and start/headlight switches. I also need to put the paint on the side covers and fit them, and mount the tail light. Major work left to do: front brake rebuild.

I also really want to find another stock seat pan and make a solo seat...the bike is just begging for it. Then I can swap out between 2-up and solo seats.

More photos and updates next week.....

-Ron

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:24 am »
That's coming out really nice.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:05 am »
That's coming out really nice.

+1 - Nice to see it coming together so well Ron.

Ya, a solo café seat would look great on it too. Someone here has gotta have a seat pan that they would part with.

BTW, show us those side covers you mentioned.

Cheers
Jimmy

rlarkin70

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 01:53:43 pm »
Well, the bike is just about finished. I need to replace the ignition switch, it will go to the right of the tach bolted to the top triple. thanks for your help with that Fun Jimmy.  Also I need to rebuild/install the front brake. Eventually I want to get the rotors drilled and put on another MC and dual front disc.  And, more eventually, fiberglass a solo seat.

for now, I just want to RIDE.  I am happy with how it turned out, I found the look I was going for... prototype-racer, everything very minimalist. and yes, some of the switches and lights are held on by cable ties and electrical tape!  The starter toggle has a sheet metal bracket I made, but I then just taped it to the switch and zip tied it. simple looking, and simple to make. again, stays with my vision for the bike. I have seen many race cars with some pretty rigged up stuff. I may make some simple brackets down the road.

So...thanks for following along and commenting. Some really nice bikes out there definitely inspired me. I will post some final photos in a few weeks with the brake on and the side covers done up with drilled bolts and clips, instead of zip ties.

Ride safe,
-Ron

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 02:07:03 pm »
Looks great Ron.
Finally a picture of the side cover that you've been keeping a secret for so long.
That switch should be there soon and then, get out and ride!

Cheers