Author Topic: 80s kz1000 basket case  (Read 867 times)

WestCo

80s kz1000 basket case
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:54:30 am »
ive got the oppurtunity to pick up a 80s kz1000 basket(engine is supposably the only thing off the frame) that needs a tranny and otherwise is supposed to "run good" and nothing else wrong with it. anybody know much about these in terms of what theyre worth? or is it worth getting for around $500 fixing and flipping it?
if i did get it, it would be to get it running to turn it for a profit to help fund my cb750 project.
im sure theres a market out there for them just how big of one im not sure
any info would be great
Adam

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: 80s kz1000 basket case
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:43:05 am »
Unless it's an "Eddie Lawson Replica" it's not worth 500 bucks with a stuffed gearbox mate, Kawasaki parts are expensive and hard to find, and if it needs new cosmetic parts (sidecovers, badges, seatcover etc) they're not cheap either. Bikes are cheap in the US and you can do better.

I just bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1000 with full Yoshimura top end, Koni shocks etc, for $450.00 here, it sounds great on paper but it's as rough as guts, it was a "one owner" bike, but has sat under a tarp for 5 years due to a messy divorce, and will take a lot of work to bring it back.

I'm gonna swap the Yoshimura engine with the one in my "Wes Cooley Replica" (the mortal enemy of the "Eddie Lawson Replica", ha ha!) and clean up the rest and "flip it". Hopefully it'll all work out, but like your Kawasaki, it's a gamble! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)