Author Topic: Tracking Down a non working blinker  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
Tracking Down a non working blinker
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:16:04 pm »
I have a 77' 750K that has an issue with the RH blinker not blinking. Front RH  is lit until the signal is activated. I have checked all bulbs, Cleaned all connectors involved. Still no luck.  ALsothe horn does not work (Related?)
I dove into the bucket for the the hundreth time and found this: the white connector (5 prong plug) if I disconnect this, the LH signal now acts like the RH. I found that when I activate the LH signal ,2 of the prongs on the plug are hot. When I activate the RH, only one is hot (none are hot when nothing is activated).  am I on the right track here?
If so, where do I go from here?

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
Re: Tracking Down a non working blinker
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:51:41 pm »
On your bike, the turn signal wire colors are as follows:
Rt. Turn Signal: light blue
Rt. Marker: light blue with white stripe
Lt. Turn Signal: light orange
Lt. Marker: light orange with white stripe
Only the front signals are lit (marker lights) all the time. The same wires that control the front turn signals control the back ones. As you have discovered, the turn signal wires run through a different connector as opposed to the wires for the marker lights.

I have no idea whether the problem with your horn is related; however, the (ground) wire for the horn (light green) does run through the same connector block with the turn signal wires.

Does the rear rt. turn signal work? How about the indicator light on the center console?

I created a color wiring schematic for the '77 CB750k. You can find it here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=33638.0
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:48 am »
No, my rear turn signal does not work nor does the indicator on the panel.

Offline ger87410

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:55:51 am »
My guess would be to grab a voltage meter and check continuity across those wires.

I've seen wires break without breaking the insulator.

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:26:39 am »
Yup. Looking at the diagram, it seems the most likely place for failure would be from the turn signal switch to its connector block in the headlight bucket.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:01:21 am »
Thanks burmashave,
I brought the diagram you linked to an OGHF here at my shop and he asked me a few questions looked at the pic and said that it most likey in the switch.