Author Topic: pop out the piston on that frozen rear master cylinder, easily.  (Read 3980 times)

Offline dboblet

• Enthusiast
  • OMG - what did I get myself into this time!!??!!
OK, so the front brakes on my project bike are workig great, but no rear master cylinder.  So, I bought one on e-bay (cheap) and frozen solidly.  I removed the ring clip and pulled out the acturator rod, but the piston wouln't budge.  So, I attached it to the front brakes instead of the caliper, squeezed the brake handle a few times (hard) and the piston slowly squeezed it's way out.  I lost a bit of brake fluid and had to bleed the front brakes, but now I have the rear master cylinder apart with zero damage ready for a rebuild.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
Re: pop out the piston on that frozen rear master cylinder, easily.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:43:41 pm »
Check. Great tip!

Hydraulic pressure for the win.

Offline Polak91

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:18 am »
Awesome advice!

Rear caliper piston was completely lodged in the caliper. Bolted it back up to the bike, without the pads so the caliper could move, bled the brakes. Then pressure built up in the caliper piston seat and the piston moved out slowly. Had to push the last half inch out with compressed air but the hydraulic pressure pushed more than half of it out.

Offline worst650ever

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:01:16 am »
I have had a lot of luck with plugging the hydraulic line hole with a bolt, loosening the bleed screw, and attaching a grease gun to the bleed screw - it's a nearly perfect fit!

An air powered grease gun makes this even easier, but a manual one works just as well.  You will have to clean a bunch of heavy grease out of the caliper afterwards, however  :P