Author Topic: spray-on chrome  (Read 4205 times)

Gittfiddler

spray-on chrome
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:58:08 pm »
Hey all,
Saw this companies promo dvd at my auto paint supplier.  does anyone have any experience with this stuff or know of any shops that use it?  kinda looks cool.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: spray-on chrome
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:29:03 pm »
I don't

You do know this section is for tricks and tips...not for questions.....

I'm not the post police....just sayin. ;)
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »
What annoys me while watching their video showing some guy spraying these parts is they suddenly fade to another scene and "PRESTO !!!!" brilliant shining chrome as he continues to spray clear water over the part......oh.....c'mon now, nothing is THAT easy.
I too am interested in hearing real life testimony about this product or system.

fuzzybutt

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:36 pm »
how or where do i get "de-ionized" water?

Gittfiddler

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:17 am »
They sell filters, but if there are any research labs in your area you may be able to get some from them.  it's just super pure water.  I use it to clean dirt out of cracks on guitars before repair. 

and wow, do I  apologise for my thoughtless placement of this question? damn another question.... sorry

godsaveusmicks

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:35 am »
in chemical terms this is possible since it's not actually chrome. it's a layer of silver metal which gives it the brilliance and reflection, then a tinted topcoat to add that slight nickel coloring to make it look like chrome. if you listen carefully they specifically say that this is a chrome-like finish.

as for using de-ionized water, they use it simply because there are no impurities in it and it dries spotless so you don't ruin the silver finish.