Author Topic: The Poor K0  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
The Poor K0
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:22 am »
I just got back from hauling my latest barn finds, a 2/70 K0 and a pair of K3 parts bikes and I'm looking them over to decide what to do. I have the tank and side covers and a set of HM341s for the K0 and I would like to build it but the motor is froze, front fender and seat are gone, it has the wrong key switch and no title. In my younger days I would put it back together but given the outrageous prices on feebay for the stuff, my spidey sense tells me to part it out. I really hate the idea of doing it but you have to draw the line somewhere, right? I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this dilemma and if so, what are your thoughts?
There are old bikers and there are bold bikers but there are very few old, bold bikers.

Quote from: Gordon
Not doing what you can to make your bike ride-able during the best riding months of the year kind of defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

Offline WFO

• Will work for powerbands
  • Expert
Re: The Poor K0
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:02:26 am »
Always trust the spidey sense..
82 cb650 sc nighthawk - 78 kz 650 b

Offline 750K2

• new rider with an old bike
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
i vote for the spider sense...it never failed peter parker and think of all the good those parts will do.  not only for your bank account but for all of those poor K0s out there needing transplants.  don't bury good parts, sell them!

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:46:42 am »
What sort of shape is the airbox in, and how much would you want for it?  I call first dibs if it's in good shape.

What about the front and rear winkers?  How are they?  Does it have the rear black stems?

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:04:44 am »
looks like there's more parts in that yard than I care to shake a stick at!   :o

i suggest you part out every one that doesn't run!  i hate mowing around stuff!  but, i'm not sure how much of that you actually mow... seems that you might also be goat owner.   ;) :D
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:02 am »
Consider it a public duty to part out so others may live (again). ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:53:07 pm »
As far as I can tell, the airbox is undamaged but I have to get it in the shop and clean it up before I'll know for sure. The turn signals seem good too but the rears are mounted to this ugly back rack so no rear stems at all. :( You have first crack Goulie if I do part it out.
Quote from: heffay
looks like there's more parts in that yard than I care to shake a stick at!   

i suggest you part out every one that doesn't run!  i hate mowing around stuff!  but, i'm not sure how much of that you actually mow... seems that you might also be goat owner.   
I hope that isn't some sort of beastiality comment. There have been a lot of jokes lately since the guy down the road got busted doing his neighbor's horse. :-*

I really would like to junk the lot of them but scrap car bodies are paying $15 per ton right now and that wouldn't pay for the gas to haul them out. They aren't all mine though, about 25% of them belong to buddies who needed storage or couldn't afford to fix them when they broke. I have been trying to have the owners get them out of my yard but that's nearly impossible with friends like mine. :P

In reality, I couldn't afford to restore a K0 in that condition but I look at the pics of beautiful shiny ones on this forum and I really want one for myself. I suppose that helping someone else get the parts to restore one is almost as satisfying as restoring one myself and maybe someday I'll find one in good shape in a barn somewhere....NOT!
There are old bikers and there are bold bikers but there are very few old, bold bikers.

Not doing what you can to make your bike ride-able during the best riding months of the year kind of defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:27:59 pm »
nope, just thought you might have a goat.   ;D  they eat grass. 
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:28:32 pm »
oh, and junk too!  so you might come up w/ a really nice lot after all!   ;D ;D

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:25 pm »
Aaron,
If you decide to part out that beauty of a K0 I would be interested in the swing arm depending on what the shipping costs by mail would be to Victoria, B.C. Canada V8Z 4Y8. I have a K0 project that started out a slight bit better than that bike but not by much.
Thanks,
Cliff.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 03:30:16 pm »
Part that old bugger out mate, it'd cost you a mint to buy the parts you need to restore it, once you get that engine unstuck! It's a pity the Aussie dollar has taken a dump against the greenback, or I'd make you an offer for the engine and frame, I'd like to build a K0 cafe racer.............  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »
Is this the thread where we call out the parts we want?  If so I need a motor, running or not, for mocking up a new frame, also a pair of decent forks and maybe the triple clamps and stem to go with it.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 05:04:04 pm »
If you do part it out I'd be interested in the carb mounting plate and the bracket that mounts the key below the tank.

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:17 pm »
Ha ha ha ha.
Does an image of vultures circling overhead, appear to anyon else besides me?
Ha ha ha ha.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 07:16:03 pm »
Yah Aaron...that KO it looks pretty rough by the pics and you have to remember you can not save everyone.  But you can help guys bring others back to life.  Good luck with your bikes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:23:55 am by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »
I'm looking to buy a set of orig paint candy gold bodywork and some odds and ends; let me know.

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:46:37 pm »
I wish you were not so far, I need a K0 frame.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
Forgot to ask about the master brake cylinder if it's not spoken for.
Thanks,
Cliff.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:35 am »
Ha ha ha ha.
Does an image of vultures circling overhead, appear to anyon else besides me?
Ha ha ha ha.

No, I think Aaron cunningly titled his "K0 Parts for Sale" thread "The Poor K0" and put it in the tech forums to attract a much wider audience..................  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 02:22:49 am »
I believe Mr Spock said it best when he uttered those immortal words: "The need of the many outweighs the need of the one"! ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 05:26:32 am »
Aaron if you do part it out I would be interested in the left and right handlebar switches if salvageable.  And the yellow blinker lenses if they are the originals and not smashed up.  Thanks...John
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 08:09:49 am »
How about the shape of the headlight ears and bucket?  Basically anything "gold" on the bike?  I would be interested.  Very interested, depending on condition.

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 09:41:44 am »
I see Terry, that cunning Mr. Williams is at it again  ;D

Aaron, to answer your question directly: I am experiencing the same dilemma with a 2005 Burgman AN400.  The repair should have been under warranty, but Suzuki would not honour it without having all receipts from oil changes, etc.  Since I did these myself, no such receipts are available.   After a year of wrangling, I'm left with a major decision, part it or repair it on my own nickel.  Its about break even repair proposition (value of bike = repair costs).  In other words either turn an asset into a liability or turn an asset through some tedious labour into cash?  My first choice was the cash, but I have subsequently reversed my decision and started repairing - it seems like such a waste to part out...

hope that helps.

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:46 pm »
Actually, that does help. I know that if I build it, I will probably have as much invested as the bike is worth but which would I really rather have, an asset or some cash? I'm going to drag it into the shop tomorrow and clean it up, maybe pull the head and see how bad the cylinders are. Do a little exploratory surgery before I decide what to do.
Quote from: Terry in OZ
No, I think Aaron cunningly titled his "K0 Parts for Sale" thread "The Poor K0" and put it in the tech forums to attract a much wider audience..................
I just can't put ANYTHING past you Terry, you are far too sharp! 8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:16:21 pm by Aaron J Williams »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:50 am »

Quote from: Terry in OZ

No, I think Aaron cunningly titled his "K0 Parts for Sale" thread "The Poor K0" and put it in the tech forums to attract a much wider audience..................
I just can't put ANYTHING past you Terry, you are far too sharp! 8)

Ha ha, no worries mate, remember, it's only 6 or 7 weeks until Christmas, (or perhaps "The Festive Season", or "Non-denominational Happy Time" or whatever the hell else we're allowed to call it without insulting some other dodgy religions) so right now you're probably better off cashing it, you can certainly turn a tired old K0 into quite a considerable amount of shiny new Christmas presents, ha ha! ;D