Author Topic: Recs on New Modular helmet  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Recs on New Modular helmet
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:13:00 am »
Yeah, I like the fact that the "flip" goes all the way back. How is that for wind noise in full face mode then with the flip all the way back? Definitely looking for something quieter as far as wind noise than the full face AGV Demon I'm using.

Ron mentioned taking crashing in the face shield area. As far as I'm concerned NOW, if you're going to wear a helmet (I do and I don't) you may as well wear a full helmet. I too took a face plant crash with my full face on. Head-on then landed on my head/face. 2 hits in one. The visor and area above it were scratched badly. If I had a bucket or a 3/4 on I'd had AT LEAST a broken jaw. The frontal protection saved me from serious face injury. Of course I like it for the protection it gives from mother nature's elements too. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:28 am »
Yeah, I like the fact that the "flip" goes all the way back. How is that for wind noise in full face mode then with the flip all the way back? Definitely looking for something quieter as far as wind noise than the full face AGV Demon I'm using.

Ron mentioned taking crashing in the face shield area. As far as I'm concerned NOW, if you're going to wear a helmet (I do and I don't) you may as well wear a full helmet. I too took a face plant crash with my full face on. Head-on then landed on my head/face. 2 hits in one. The visor and area above it were scratched badly. If I had a bucket or a 3/4 on I'd had AT LEAST a broken jaw. The frontal protection saved me from serious face injury. Of course I like it for the protection it gives from mother nature's elements too. 
In full face mode, it is noisy like every other full face I've used, but no worse than my HJC Symax modular.....maybe a little more so than my old Shoei 700.
I can flip it back and forth while riding over my glasses and that is a plus.
And, like any other modular, you can put it on without ripping your ears or glasses off.
The PROBLEM with it is....... it is so tempting to flip it back and leave it there because you can instantly feel how much more "comfortable" it is to ride with an open or 3/4 vs a full face!
I definately don't recommend buying ANY high end helmet before trying it on AND trying it out on the road with YOUR bike. The helmet brands fit differently and the sizes are not consistent between brands. Also, the windshield (if any) can affect how the helmet does in the "draft".
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline Rgconner

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:45 am »
What ever you do, don't try the schuberth c3... You won't want anything else!

I had a Vemar Jiano for three years. Good for oval heads, a little heavy and a little noisy.

It did however do a great job of protecting my head when I was t-boned over the hood of a car last friday. Despite being out for 3 minutes, I had no lasting side effects.

A 3/4 would have left my teeth on the hood, and a skid lid would not have cradled my neck neck when I hit asphault.

If I get enough from the settlement I will likely get the C3. Revolutionary helmet in my opinion.
1975 CB550K aka "Grease Monkey"

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:31 am »
I feel left out.  It seems that everyone on this forum has some type of full face ultra safe helmet.  I have a skid lid mini helmet.  I'm not sure that if offers any more protection than a baseball cap.  It's all I've used for the ast 20 years, rain or shine. 

It never looked out of place when riding Harley's but it looks like I will stand out on my CB. I do have an old school 3/4 helmet painted in a funky heavy metal flake.  Maybe it's time to start using that one?
Well the standard sales pitch for high $ helmets is....... "if you've got a $20 head, get a $20 helmet"......and it's usually pretty effective!
There's a lot of controversy about certification standards ie DOT, Snell, Euro etc, but any helmet is probably better than not....most of the time
When I was rear-ended at a stop by an SUV last year, I was wearing a cheap, light open face helmet. My new Gold Wing was totaled and I was thrown forward about 25' from a dead stop. IF I had been wearing a more heavy helmet, could my neck have been broken instead of just sprained? I don't know, but I have wondered!
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 10:04:32 am »
Actually, it was $10.  ;D  Back when you could buy a helmet for $10. Think this poster is worth any $$

Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:53 am »
I feel left out.  It seems that everyone on this forum has some type of full face ultra safe helmet.  I have a skid lid mini helmet.  I'm not sure that if offers any more protection than a baseball cap.  It's all I've used for the ast 20 years, rain or shine. 

It never looked out of place when riding Harley's but it looks like I will stand out on my CB. I do have an old school 3/4 helmet painted in a funky heavy metal flake.  Maybe it's time to start using that one?
Well the standard sales pitch for high $ helmets is....... "if you've got a $20 head, get a $20 helmet"......and it's usually pretty effective!
There's a lot of controversy about certification standards ie DOT, Snell, Euro etc, but any helmet is probably better than not....most of the time
When I was rear-ended at a stop by an SUV last year, I was wearing a cheap, light open face helmet. My new Gold Wing was totaled and I was thrown forward about 25' from a dead stop. IF I had been wearing a more heavy helmet, could my neck have been broken instead of just sprained? I don't know, but I have wondered!
Safety is always a compromise. Some people get killed in their seatbelts. Make your best choice per the probabilities, then roll the dice.

For my money, its always a full face, added weight or no. Face plant, high probability. Rear end, not so much.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Magilla

• Expert
  • My bike: 1976 CB750F
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:03 am »
There are a few safety issues with full face helmets.  You have no peripheral vision with them.  This can be a real issue when driving in the city.  The second issue they have is impairing your hearing. If you can't see it you need to hear it.  If you can't do either it's bad news.

The flip side is that although you can see or hear, if you do go down, you will be a lot Sefer with the full face. My feeling is that the majority of the time you are better off with the FF, just as you are with seatbelts. I wear seatbelts in my truck but I wear a skid lid on my bike.  Not sure if that makes any sense at all.
1972   Honda CB350
1972   Yamaha 500
1982   Yamaha 650
1988   Harley Sportster 883
1983   HD FXR Shovelhead
2003   HD Heritage Softail
2006   Victory Vegas Jackpot
1980   Honda CB650
1976   Honda CB750K
1982   Honda CB750
1964   Honda CA95
1982   Kawasaki 550
1974   Honda CL360
1975   Suzuki GT550
1981   Honda CB750
1981   Honda CB750
1970   Norton Commando
1972   Yamaha U7E
1970   BMW R50/5
1976   Honda CB750F

Offline catsoup

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 04:01:29 pm »
I hadn't thought of getting a modular until now.

I wear glasses, and the thought of not having to take them off every time I put on or remove my helmet is very appealing. I am already in the market for a new upgraded helmet (currently have a new bell arrow, which is fine, but is heavy and a little noisy), so I will start looking modular now.

Does anyone have experience with modulars that do NOT fit over glasses? There aren't a lot of shops where I live, so I'd like to do as much research as possible ahead of time.
78 cb750f

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
I hadn't thought of getting a modular until now.

I wear glasses, and the thought of not having to take them off every time I put on or remove my helmet is very appealing. I am already in the market for a new upgraded helmet (currently have a new bell arrow, which is fine, but is heavy and a little noisy), so I will start looking modular now.

Does anyone have experience with modulars that do NOT fit over glasses? There aren't a lot of shops where I live, so I'd like to do as much research as possible ahead of time.
At Cycle Outfitters, the sales dude (doo rag and chain belt) showed me the Nolan first. But he said "before you decide lets finish your due diligence" (he actually used those words). So I tried on a $600 Shoei Modular and a $150 HJC modular. Both were very hard to get on and I think I'd have to remove my glasses. So what's the point? They also had conventional DRings v the Nolan slide clip clasp which is way cool.

So some don't go over glasses well. The Nolan was perfect for me in every way. The clasp mechanism was a real sales point for me. They definitely want to court the touring, sport/touring crowd.

There are quite a few 3rd party videos on YouTube, search on your brand/model. or maybe just "modular helmets".
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »
I'm on my third year of using a Scorpion EXO1000 Transformer.  The modular is great with glasses, flip up the chin bar, on with the helmet & then lock it down.   The only noise that bothers me is if the shield is open a slight bit, it will whistle, reminds me to seat it properly.  Has an inflatable bit on the back to customize the fit a little & also has small vent on the chin & larger one at the back for ventilation that can both be be closed.  Also has a built in hidden sun visor too.  I also like that you can completely remove the chin piece & shield, then install a visor that comes with it, voila, it's now a 3/4 for when you feel like a liitle facial bug killing!  Full disclosure, I did have an issue with the lower trim piece coming loose in the second year, but it was fixed right up under warranty.  Paid about 275, up here helmets ain't so cheap, I think they're way less now.  I also loved the Nolan, but wouldn't/couldn't pony up that much cash.  Have you  guys seen or heard about the helmet with a built in rear view mirror?  Sounds interesting too.

This one works for me, but as has been said, try a bunch on, it really is the only way to find what is comfortable & fits your head shape.
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
There are a few safety issues with full face helmets.  You have no peripheral vision with them.  This can be a real issue when driving in the city.  The second issue they have is impairing your hearing. If you can't see it you need to hear it.  If you can't do either it's bad news.

The flip side is that although you can see or hear, if you do go down, you will be a lot Sefer with the full face. My feeling is that the majority of the time you are better off with the FF, just as you are with seatbelts. I wear seatbelts in my truck but I wear a skid lid on my bike.  Not sure if that makes any sense at all.
I beg to differ on the lack of peripheral vision, I have the same field of view in my shoei quest as I do with it off. This is looking straight ahead and raising my arm till I loose sight of my hand, no differance with or without my helmet. A full face is definatly quieter than a 3/4 or a beanie, which I would never ride with but to each his own I guess.  I commute all the time with it and visibility is never an issue, I have a Simpson outlaw bandit full face and the visibility is just as great. Although the Simpson helmet is noisy as hell above 80kmh, but I digress seein as this is more of a modular helmet thread...
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000