Author Topic: rubber T's disentigrated on 650C carbs(vb44a's)?  (Read 2779 times)

SpAmSoNiTe

rubber T's disentigrated on 650C carbs(vb44a's)?
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:41:05 pm »
Hi all,
        While cleaning the carbs on my newly aquired 81 650C, I noticed that there is a pair of rubber tees between carbs 1/2 and 3/4 that have completely rotted and one literally ripped and disintegrated while I was looking at it.  They seem to be made of all rubber, and I was curious as to what they are, and if anyone has any good non-OEM replacement ideas? They connect to a hard plastic "T"  that I believe was connected to my airbox.  Kinda looks like it is either a vacuum line or maybe vapor recovery to me, but the only thing I am sure of is that the old rubber T's are trashed.

I took a look on BikeBandit's OEM carb parts, and I think it refered to them as ""joint, 3-way 1/2" and "Joint, 3-way 3/4", but am not even sure if this is what I'm looking at.  The actual piece is right by number 27 on their diagram.
I'll attempt to attach it.

Thanks,
                                                  Sam(SOHC nOOb)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: rubber T's disentigrated on 650C carbs(vb44a's)?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
Bowl vent lines....

They allow atmospheric pressure to reach the fuel bowls
Stranger in a strange land

SpAmSoNiTe

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:57:51 pm »
Bowl vent lines....

They allow atmospheric pressure to reach the fuel bowls

I was thinking it was something along those lines.  Any suggestions to replacing the t's?  do they have to be connected to each other and then back into the airbox, or can I just find a different way to route these guys individually or something?  Was trying to think of a solution without having to split the carb rack apart to fix them.. my only other carb experience was with a set of Mikuni's on a Yamaha, and these guys are a little different :P

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »
Well looking at the diagram you provided...

Is there rubber between the T and the carb body?

I seem to remember just a line running to the T

SpAmSoNiTe

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:58:08 pm »
What it looks like is there is a little metal stub(might have a barb on it, don't have them right in front of me) coming out of each carb(airbox side), and the tee looked like it slipped over these two stubs(the entire tee from what I could tell was all soft rubber).  In the middle of the tee, a little metal union-looking piece slipped inside the leg of the T and went up to the top of the carb bank, where it was connected on the other end to a hard plastic T(20 on the diagram), with the identical setup coming from carbs 3/4.  It then went to the breather box from this hard plastic tee.

Sorry if my descriptions are sucky; was gonna snap a few shots of this before I left for work but didn't get a chance to get them.

EDIT:  Found this pic on a set on eBay..  the T's that are disentegrated are the ones that those two black hoses are going to in between carbs 1/2 and 3/4.

Well looking at the diagram you provided...

Is there rubber between the T and the carb body?

I seem to remember just a line running to the T
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:29:02 pm by SpAmSoNiTe »

SpAmSoNiTe

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:09:18 am »
If all these do is allow the bowl pressure to equalize with the atmospheric pressure, would it be possible to just run some tube with a small hole in it as opposed to a T? or do you think that there may be a vapor issue coming back through the tubes so close to the engine heat?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:54 am »
That looks more like fuel input line than vent to me
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09:03 am »
That looks more like fuel input line than vent to me

yup

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 04:07:56 pm »
They are vents.  The T they connect to should be on top of the carbs though.  Then to the air box.  The ones I replaced I went ahead and bought honda.  Figured they lasted 20+ years rather than try something that might give problems.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

SpAmSoNiTe

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:00:34 pm »
They are vents.  The T they connect to should be on top of the carbs though.  Then to the air box.  The ones I replaced I went ahead and bought honda.  Figured they lasted 20+ years rather than try something that might give problems.

Yeah, my T is on top, just used the pic as a visual aid.  I've managed to fashion my own soft tees with some vinyl tubing and will probably replace them with OEM, but I wanna make sure I get the bike running well before I plunk down $70 for the pair! Now to figure out if I can get them on without splitting the rack  ???.

Thanks for all the help guys.. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains again soon  ;D

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
Unless you find something other than stock that is very flexable youll need to pull 1 and 4 off.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker