Author Topic: Summer of the CB550  (Read 1812 times)

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
Summer of the CB550
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:35 am »
Hi
Name is John. Figured I would doc the next few weeks of getting my 550 on the road. Been on the forum here for awhile now and figured it was time to put my project up here. Thought is if I start this thread it may keep me in the grind of working on this bike.

I know how much I enjoy watching peoples progress and just getting a glimps into peoples garages so I will be sure to post lots of pics. Especially since me and 3 other friends have cleared out a garage and pulled all our bikes together. Should make for some good times.

Bought 550 off friend who wasnt much of a gear head (not that I am... just always been a tinker'r). As of right now the bike is in relatives garage sitting with no carbs. Carbs are sitting in my study waiting to be put back together for the second time.

This bike is not going to be much to look at... I am not worried to much about the 'polish' but just the feel I guess. Guess the plan is to create a Mad Max 550. If I could go the complete resto route I would do it in a heartbeat but the $ isnt there now. I will admit that I have always been into bike but I totally got the cafe bug 5 years ago... Great thing about this forum is that my appriciation for bikes (sohc or cafe or 2stroke or stock or whatever) is about 500x greater.   

Plan is to put carbs back on. If possible track down some 115 jets to put in there. I had a set lined up from a user on here but never delivered (no hard feelings u guys (and ladies) on this forum rock).

Need to get a carb tuner (forget correct term) off a friend and set that up right... So if anyone has a set of 115 I would love to get my hands on them so that I can get these carbs up and running.

Building a seat inspired by pic below of the guzzi. Want to be able to have someone on the back but still wedge myself in. Will also be doing a quick little kneedent job on the tank.

Pics will be on there way. Look forward to your guys thoughts. I have grown to see something I like in virtually every honda I have seen on this forum, hope you guys enjoy!
J-Conn

-and yes there will be pics!
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
Re: Summer of the CB550
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:33 am »
Any specific reason you're jumping to 115 mains right away? With pods and an open exhaust, 110s worked for me.

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:25:23 am »
I will have to look into the jet sizing. I had a couple interactions here that lead me to think that would be a good place to start but might at well start where im at and see if that is good enough.

Pics will be coming this weekend! Should get plenty of done. Carbs/Seat/and electric action.

See you then,
John
1976 CB550
Member #7772

candlesniff

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:24:34 pm »
Will you be posting any pictures?
just kidding.
I'm on the same route you're on
Good luck.

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:22:29 am »
awesome to hear texen in seattle.
Oh the possibilites for a summer with a bike... *sigh
Forgive me while i daydream for a second :)
Day trips down to old mans cave. Maybe even dragons tail (never done it).
After work quickies... Driving to work!
How many hours of daydreaming have been done in front of this forum...
blast you sohc4!!!
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:33:25 am »
So same thing happened this weekend as every weekend.
Simply not enough hours in the day.
Ill keep u guys posted...
1976 CB550
Member #7772

esw07

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:24 pm »
where you planning on glassing your own seat pan, making it out of sheet metal, or outsourcing someone else to? I too am working on a '76 550 and am gearing up to glass my own seat. Looking forward to pics being posted

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:00:47 am »
I am still coming up with the schematics. But i actually think im gonna do it out of DOW foam. All the way. Try something different. Should be able to get some good shaping capabilities. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=51814.0

Well I know this is alot of nothing without pictures at this point.  :-\
I will try and get something up here in the next day or 2.
Good week all!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:02:54 am by j-conn »
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:38:35 am »
This weekend...
I promise I promise...
1976 CB550