Author Topic: Easy way to run wires inside bars  (Read 7751 times)

Pirate

Easy way to run wires inside bars
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:46 am »
Hi all,

I haven't seen this posted, and see a few people are wondering how to run wiring inside differing types of handlebars.  While I don't have clubmans (clubmen?  ???) to try it on, I think it would be difficult but workable.

Anyway, I was trying to run the switch wires for my 550F inside some 400F bars that already had the appropriate holes drilled.  Basically, I took the following steps:

1) Tied a a 6mm x ~20mm bolt (although a 6mm nut would probably work really well), to the end of a roll of string/twine like the kind your wife/girlfriend would use to tie plants to trellises etc (mine is away so I can raid her supplies).

2) Feed the bolt through the hole by the switch/grip.  Hold the bars on end, and keep feeding twine off the roll into the hole, while shaking the bars around (this prevents the bolt getting stuck/wedged, which is why a 6mm nut would probably be better).  Once you see the nut/bolt in the hole at the bottom center of the bars, flip them bars to horizontal, allowing it to fall out.

3)  Unroll about 2 feet from the roll, and cut it.

4) Tie this end of the string about 6-8" from the connector end of your switch harness.

5) Now, wrap the string around the switch harness, working your way towards and over the connectors/wires at the end.  This helps shape the wires to fit through the bars.  Try to space the 'wraps' about 1/2" from each other.

6) Starting at the knot on the harness, follow the same procedure, covering the string with masking tape.  I had thought about duct tape, but it may be too thick and unflexible to fit, depending on how much you put on.  You should have a bit of a tapered point at the end, with the string coming out.

7) Finally, pull on the nut end of the string, carefully feeding the tape-wrapped switch wiring into the hole as you go.  I've read on this board that some people use dish soap as a lube for the wires, but I didn't use it and the inside of my bars was pretty rusty.  Regardless, it's important not to yank on the twine, but always start pulling gradually.  If the bundled wires get caught up, try pushing/feeding them through from the switch end while keeping a slight pull on the twine.

It most likely took you longer to read my post than it will to internally wire your bars.  I'll try to take pics or draw diagrams if some of the steps are confusing.  Hope this helps some of you out!

-- Pirate.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Re: Easy way to run wires inside bars
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:03 am »
I've used lots of silicon spray lube to help move them through the bars. Works well and seems to evaporate away without a residue.
Cheers,
Cliff.

Offline many408

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:06:53 pm »
Hi all,

1) Tied a a 6mm x ~20mm bolt (although a 6mm nut would probably work really well), to the end of a roll of string/twine like the kind your wife/girlfriend would use to tie plants to trellises etc (mine is away so I can raid her supplies).

2) Feed the bolt through the hole by the switch/grip.  Hold the bars on end, and keep feeding twine off the roll into the hole, while shaking the bars around (this prevents the bolt getting stuck/wedged, which is why a 6mm nut would probably be better).  Once you see the nut/bolt in the hole at the bottom center of the bars, flip them bars to horizontal, allowing it to fall out.

Quicker and easier to just get put a vacuum hose where you want the string to exit, and feed it in at the start.  If you rotate the bars in the triple clamp you can probably do it with them on the bike.

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:17 pm »
Electricians actually use a product specifically designed for pulling wires. You can find a smaller bottle like the one in the picture at Menards or the like for pretty cheapish if I remember.
1977 CB550F

Offline apex_seeking

• Ron Swanson is a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:07:49 am »
I just did this last weekend and I had trouble with the turn signal harness as it's got more wires and too thick to manuver around a 90 deg. bend in clubman bars.
 What I did was run a 2'-3' piece of spare 12 gauge wire through the bars. Then I used electrical tape to secure both ends of the wire together to make a loop running though the bars. Now comes the part I wasn't thrilled with but this made it VERY easy. I split open the loom a bit (only cut it the length equal to the distance you need to run through the bars). Then I taped one wire to the loop, pulled it through, repeated until all wires were through and then finished up by pulling the loom through. Now you should have just the ends of the wire poking out of the hole. Slowly work the bunch the rest of the way through the bars and tape up the loom. If you only cut the minimum amour of the loom you shouldn't have any exposed wires in the bars. I got all of mine through in about ten minutes.