Author Topic: Removing a CB350K4 Muffler  (Read 1098 times)

hkelley

Removing a CB350K4 Muffler
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:26:33 am »
I am trying to replace the muffler on my CB350 but have a few questions. 

• Did Honda intend for the muffler to be replaceable, i.e. are the header and muffler permanently attached in some way?  I have the Clymer and Honda shop manuals, but neither mentions muffler replacement.
  • Since I have to replace mine, whether the factory intended it or not, I think I need to start by removing these two nuts (at the junction of the header and muffler).  The photo may not show it clearly, but the lower/outer nut is circular.  Is this some sort of lock nut?  I can get a quarter turn on it so it's not corroded, but it does look like the thread might have been (intentionally) deformed at the tip.  Is there in any point in trying to extract these parts gently (re-use on another muffler set) or shall I start grinding?

• Finally, can anyone recommend a good replacement muffler?  By good, I mean; has an agreeable "7 AM in the morning" sound (from the neighbor's perspective), minimizes the need for carburetor reconfiguration, and doesn't break the bank (cheaper than scouring eBay for a set of originals that are only slightly better).  I can't see how the original could be repacked, even if I extract it cleanly, but feel free to set me straight there too.

Thanks in advance,
Hugh

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: Removing a CB350K4 Muffler
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:49:00 am »
Muffler and header are one piece. Not meant to be separated. Nothing you can't do with a dremel, hacksaw, or other cutting tool, though. THen you'll have to find a muffler that fits onto your cut header and can be mounted.
Dunno what that whole thing is you ahve there, though, with the 'round' bolt... Just cut it off. You are going to need new clamps to cinch down your new mufflers to the old headers anyway.
No.

hkelley

Re: Removing a CB350K4 Muffler
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:09:34 am »
Thanks for that confirmation.

Any suggestions on a good replacements?  I'd prefer to maintain the original look of the bike, but the stock units have some special contours/indentations for the rear wheel nuts.  I'm assuming a full-length replacement pipe would bring all sorts of headaches with fit.