Author Topic: 1977 CB750F progress  (Read 12695 times)

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
1977 CB750F progress
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:16 pm »
After a very long hiatus - this build thread has finally been updated!  Here is a shot of the bike from 06/2020:

20200629_194558 by Adam, on Flickr

So for those of you who don't know, a while ago I had posted about realizing that my 78 had a bent frame, and the title fiasco on the 76.  Anyway, I happened to stumble across a 1977 that kinda ran, and rode.  I put my cleaned out 78 carbs on it, and messed with the point gaps, and timing a bit.  It runs pretty good and today I began working on installing my rearsets, which were assembled from various bits and pieces.  I thought that the shifter side would be the hardest but it turned out to be MUCH easier than the brake side, but we'll get to that in a bit... For both sides as mounting brackets I'm using buddy peg mounts off of I believe an old shadow.  Not too sure on that one, just saw em on a frame in a junkyard.  The shifter is from a gsxr, the bushings were machined by my neighbor, and the last bit of the linkage is a modified stock shifter.  This side really went together quick once I found all the right components and got everything bent just right.

The brake side turned out to be a major fiasco.  Trouble started right away, when I realized that in order to push the master cylinder correctly, the master would have to be mounted through my leg... not so great. After spending an hour or 2 figuring out how to get the master mounted somewhere usable, I came up with a solution.  I made a small adapter plate that would turn with the brake lever.  In order to make this all function properly, I had to relocate the master cylinder mount, the reservoir mount and the brake light switch.  So I get it all set up and working, after who knows how many hours, I stopped paying attention to time entirely at this point.... I get it done and working, bleed the brakes, and jump on the bike to test it out a couple times.  First couple tests feel great, I decide to give it one last press, and snap.  The cheap-o brake lever I bought snaps. So now I have to get a new lever, and I'm pretty much stuck with a brake lever from a 96- whatever cbr600 unless I want to remake my entire set up.  So at the moment I'm quite mad, because I was going to use the bike on wednesday to take the motorcycle skills test and actually get a legit license, but it looks like that has gone out the window.

anyway...

Heres some before photos of the bike

Some of the shift side components

Shift side installed

Brake side componets

Why you shouldn't buy cheap crap on ebay

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:02:18 am by b82ta »

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1977 CB750F progress
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:49:54 am »
Wow, It's good that piece broke in the garage instead of on the street huh?  I guess that's why the stock brake pedals are so darn beefy.
-Alan

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:53:04 pm »
Agreed, I was really surprised at how easily that broke... So now I need to find somewhere to source a new lever, one that won't break!

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:53 pm »
Well since I can't ride it, I might as well work on it some more no?  Here are some shots of today's progress thus far.  Working on getting a single seat, and tail piece on it as cheaply as possible.

I re used the stock tail piece, trimming it to fit.  I also made a seat pan and mounted the tail piece to the pan.  Thats pretty much where I am aside from getting the new tail light ready to go and stripping all the un needed crap off the back of the frame.  Seat foam and cover to come later, Hoping to get the seat mounted and tail light/turn signal/license plate installed tonight yet, but I have a list of chores to do before I go on vacation tomorrow.  We'll see just how much time I actually have to work on this....

semi before shot, removed seat and grab rail, etc. 

Progress shots.  My seat pan is not pretty, but I think it'll work just fine. 

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
Well this is the end of it today, time to pack and get ready for vacation.  I got some mounts set up for the seat, set up a tail/brake light, and made a license plate bracket.  Also threw on the old tank from the '78 halfway through taking photos, so that's why there are 2 different tanks...  Comments and criticisms are appreciated!

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
I have reached a temporary state of completion.  Here's some photos.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 12:34:57 am »
Wow I just saw this tread, nice work.. Now get back to your school work! ;) Can't wait to see what you get done to it this winter, if you get the time and money..
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline UK Pete

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:38:24 am »
That looks real nice, i am restoring an F2 i was going to keep it standard , but looking at yours gives me ideas
Pete

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:20:08 am »
Thanks for the comments!  I've got a few things that I'm hoping to get done on it over this Christmas break.  I just wish finals week would hurry up and be over already!

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 01:22:06 am »
Alright, well I finally got out in the garage for a while tonight and got some stuff done on vol.2 of my cb750 project.  A few shots of the immediate before, and some shots of where its at after a few hours in the garage.  Basically just going for a tear down, clean/paint, and rebuild with a few changes.  Hopefully I'll have some more progress photos tomorrow. 

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:11:42 am »
Nice break down. Don't forget to remove the Camaro (Nice car btw) and the laptop before spaying paint!  ;)
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:38 pm »
Alright well I haven't been doing much in the way of updates, but I have made some progress lately.  

After teardown and soda blasting.

Some Fresh paint and a lower milage engine

Fork Rebuild Internals

And some near completion teasers

New tank, painted and ready for vinyls and installation

Offline RustyOlive

• rustyolive.com
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:03:49 pm »
looking good dude!!! now go hop up your ol mans camero!!! bahahahaha
Untitled by cameron.bateman, on FlickrRustyOlive, on Flickr

Offline UK Pete

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:23:32 am »
Nice work , keep it up
Pete

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:46:29 pm »
Nice paint on the frame. The whole thing is looking great!!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 02:33:32 am »
   Off topic but I had to add:  I just rode in my friend's 1SS 6spd Cyber Gray Camaro, OMG!  I haven't been pressed into my seat that hard since I was a teenager, if you get my drift.  Doesn't burned rubber smell great?
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
ohhhhh yeah it really does  ;)  Just a shame dad went with the auto... though I'm not going to complain too much cause its still crazy fun to drive.

Should be some more progress photos later today.

Offline g_lightning

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:57:37 pm »
I really like what you have done to your bike so far.

How comfortable are those drag bars?  Are you planning on sticking with the drag bars, or changing it up?

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 02:35:11 pm »
Looking good. Are those the xs650 fork dampeners you put in? How do they work out?  I was thinking about doing it but my forks dont seam that bad to me. But then again the only i have to compare it to are even older bikes.

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:02 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Lightning- I'll be sticking with the drag bars for a while.  The only complaint I have is that the front brake master cylinder hits the triples and can't be rotated down any farther, but that will eventually be swapped out.  If you get the bars adjusted right they are actually pretty comfortable, get it wrong and it will kill your wrists.  At least for me it did... I found rolling them down slightly farther made a HUGE difference in comfort.

ffjmoore- Putting in the tapered steering bearings and the emulators made a HUGE difference in the feel of the bike. Granted the other ones had some issues, leaking seals, questionable oil...   I've only ridden it a few miles since its been back together (30ยบ today.... ) but it feels much tighter, more responsive and no more annoying brake dive.  Overall I'm really happy with it.  The fit perfectly and the mods that you need to make to the dampener tube are pretty simple.  I soldered over the rebound hole on mine vs welding for 3 reasons. 1 if I decided I need that rebound hole for whatever reason I can melt the solder out, Its easier than welding, and easier to file down flat.

Offline g_lightning

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on the bars.  I have an f model and I am still undecided on what bars to use.  I keep going back and forth on drag bars, clubmans, and euro bars.

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »
I don't have any experience with the other 2, I do want to try some out sometime.... just to compare. I was going to get either clubman's or clip on's originally but I ended up buying a bike that already had drag bars on it, and I have been happy enough with them to keep 'em.

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »
Alright, well here it is, vol.2 is 99% complete.  Just need put the stripes and emblems on the tank though I'm torn between 3 options, red (same as before), gloss black, or a dark grey.  Opinions are welcome!

Also need to sync the carbs and do a few more little things...

and here it is!

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 11:41:56 pm »
One more addition that I made tonight.  A block off plate for the area under the fuel tank. 

Offline UK Pete

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 01:11:19 am »
very nice build , as for the strips try making some dummy ones in different colours and tape them on to get a feel for wether you like it or not
Pete