Author Topic: electrics location on Hardtail-need ideas  (Read 2866 times)

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
electrics location on Hardtail-need ideas
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:33:38 am »
Hello,
Currently I have my stock electrical panel hanging from post behind engine, behind air pods. . see photo. Sorry not very clear, but you get the idea.
I want to find a better way to hold/hide my electrics. 
A stupid question..does any of the electrical parts have to set "upright"? I had thought of making some kind of box to fit under seat plate.
Also are ALL parts totally necesarry if I went kick start only?
Any Ideas. Past experiences?
Thanks,
Lee
92 HERITAGE

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Re: electrics location on Hardtail-need ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 10:00:13 am »
Electronics can be mounted how ever the hell you want, as long as they have some kinda air to "breathe".
Heat is usually the enemy when it comes to electric stuff, as well as vibration.

Insn't their a place under the seat, or under the gastank where you could "hide" this stuff ?
How about stuffing it in the factory style headlight ?
Or , get one of those leahter "highlander" style tool rolls and put all your
stuff in their. No one would look twice at the roll ............

Just some ideas....
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 01:17:35 pm »
with kick only about all you need is the charging system stuff and coils
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 01:51:16 pm »
Insn't their a place under the seat, or under the gastank where you could "hide" this stuff ?

I have a flat plate under the seat, on the hardtail section. But, I have thought of cutting a square hole in it a attaching a box below to route all wires and electrics into. If I chrome it it won't look so bad.
Thanks
92 HERITAGE

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:54:22 pm »
with kick only about all you need is the charging system stuff and coils

charging system stuff?
Can you elaborate on this? Which particualar items must I keep and what can I get rid off. I am not sure if I want to go kick only, but it is a thought. She kicks over very easy.
Thanks,
Lee
92 HERITAGE

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:52:09 pm »
If you don't have any electrical issues , then don't cause any by removing stuff, thats my opinion.
Just find a neat way to hide everything, such as your box idea..

If it aint broke, or giving you an issue, dont mess with it...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:10:40 am »
If you don't have any electrical issues , then don't cause any by removing stuff, thats my opinion.
If it aint broke, or giving you an issue, dont mess with it...

That'sthe concluxion I came up with also. Starter switch is fried, but I can always wire in a new "standby" swich in the new box and still kick start it.
Some Idea's I found while surfing other sites

1. Use Home Electrical box like found at a Hardware outlet
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=19346683&size=l
2. Buy one that someone fabricated http://www.restoregoldwings.com/
3. Fabricate one myself- (measurments for 750 santee box will not fit 550)
4. DO NOT put in starter hole (if removed)...not enough air to cool electrical parts
92 HERITAGE

Offline mikeb4

• Enthusiast
  • Building and riding and building ....
    • Mikeb4's website
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 11:25:14 am »
I have a custom polished aluminum CB750 electrical box I picked up over a year ago that I am not going to use.  It's for mounting to the top of the engine just below where the airbox would normally be.  It is custom made for the CB750 electrics so all items mount cleanly within the box, including the start switch if you wish.  I can email dimensions and pics if you are interested, let me know, thanks, Mike
1978 CB750K CR750 Replica
1995 CB1000F
1994 Sportster Bobber
1977 CB750SS Cafe'
1999 ZRX

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 12:02:02 pm »
That would be great, thanks. I have tried making "mock" boxes using measurements for other 750 boxes and none fit.,.. yet
550's  just don't seem to have all the room for additions as you 750 guys.
Thanks Again,
Lee
92 HERITAGE

Offline DCopp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 02:58:39 pm »
slickschoppers.com has a simple wiring diagram for a $10 key form TSC or the sort that I plan on using on my 550 chop...i have them saved to my hard drive and studied them long and hard before I hacked up my stock wiring...

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 03:56:51 pm »
Hey Dcopp,
Thanks, but I can't seem to find it. I found reference to it, but no diagram. Can you send me a link to the diagram?
Thanks
92 HERITAGE

Offline mikeb4

• Enthusiast
    • Mikeb4's website
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:22:26 pm »
OK here we are, it looks like 3 3/8" tall, 9 7/8" long and 4 1/2" wide.  It's made completely of polished aluminum but has a mirror chrome like finish.  All the mounting brackets are located on the base with the starter switch hole on the side panel.  I thought it was pretty slick when I bought it but decided not to use it on a cafe' project.  I would take $35 plus shipping for it if you are interested, let me know what you think, thanks, Mike
1995 CB1000F
1994 Sportster Bobber
1977 CB750SS Cafe'
1999 ZRX

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 05:20:47 pm »
mikeb4,
I would be interested in talking about it, but I don't think it will work. Again the problem is, I don't seem to have the room on my 550 to fit boxes built for 750's. I only seem to have from side to side 9 inches and below Pods maybe 3 inches.  I don't think it would fit. Thanks though.
92 HERITAGE

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 05:39:15 pm »
Have a peek at www.hondachopper.com. They have the plans to build a slim wire harness box that fits neatly below the carbs. I think they also have stripped-down wiring diagrams that only keep what you need. Looks like the box they show is only 2 13/16" tall.

Hope this helps.

(Edit) Ooops.. I just saw you have a 550, not 750, sorry. The site may still be of help, if you hadn't seen it already.. :-[
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:42:23 pm by Jonesy »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline mikeb4

• Enthusiast
    • Mikeb4's website
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 06:06:16 pm »
No problem .... I wondered if it would work and wanted to provide all the dimensions.  Good luck on the search!  Maybe if you can get someone to bend aluminum you can make a similar but smaller box with the same idea.  Mike
1995 CB1000F
1994 Sportster Bobber
1977 CB750SS Cafe'
1999 ZRX

Offline DCopp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 06:27:17 pm »
here you go buddy....save the pics to your HD and then print as they print like shizz from the page....NOTE:it is 2 pages of info....and the switch is this one http://www.slickschoppers.com/Parts.html   Here is the diagram page...http://www.slickschoppers.com/Parts.html  Wiring like this eliminates the fuse box and the Starter Solenoid!!!

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 11:40:27 am »
Thanks DCopp,
The diagram was a big help. Easy to follow. Got the wiring trimmed down. Man was that itimidating(sp?) at first. But as I made progress, I grew to like the "slimmed down" wiring and not using the fuse box. I am still going to use the selenoid though.

As for a box, I ended up ordering a box from www.restoregoldwings.com
He has a coffin shaped box that I like, but of course it won't fit a stock 550 frame. He did however have a Maltese Cross shaped box that will fit. I will post how it works out.
Merry Christmas!
92 HERITAGE

cd811

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 01:13:31 pm »
here's what I did ..it may help...my 2 coils are mounted below my neck to the frame...I have 2 toggle switch(lights and ignition) mounted on the frame behind the carbs under the seat...my reg/rec is mounted on my swingarm...My battery is behind my oil tank with excess though a hinged seat...no electric starter

suzukisam

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »
OK here we are, it looks like 3 3/8" tall, 9 7/8" long and 4 1/2" wide.  It's made completely of polished aluminum but has a mirror chrome like finish.  All the mounting brackets are located on the base with the starter switch hole on the side panel.  I thought it was pretty slick when I bought it but decided not to use it on a cafe' project.  I would take $35 plus shipping for it if you are interested, let me know what you think, thanks, Mike

very old post I know, but any chance you ctill have this and are interested in selling it?
thanks
marc