Author Topic: new old man on the block  (Read 1884 times)

Offline wingfree

new old man on the block
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:41:49 pm »

I have been lurking since mid September.  The wealth of information freely given and the the helpfulness of this site is to be commended.  It is also very refreshing to see the number of younger bikers contribute.  I am 61 y.o. and have been riding for many years.  I also over the years have done much of my own wrenching on my current rides.  My first bike was a '72 CB 350 and I've always had an affection for the CB350f.  In September I was able to purchase a '73 CB350 f that had 1993 plates and it's past history was not clear although the speedo showed 14000+ on the clock. It was on Craigslist and the owner took $340.00. It was non running, dirty, covered with white overspray paint, but not terribly molested.  Visibly the exhaust system was not stock, the front disk brake was non functional.  This site has been helpful in aiding me in the direction I might go with this old bike.  In the course of events I purchased a very ratty '72 350F for $225.00 which had the front brake and engine covers that I needed, along with other small parts

Jumping the bike I found all electrical worked except the turn signals did not flash.  That was a plus.  I pulled the carbs, purchased rebuild kits, cleaned the carbs, benched balanced the carbs (thanks for all the help), new points, plugs, condensers, changed the oil and she fired up.  A friend of mine has the vacuum manometers and I was able to synch the carbs.  Given the engine ran well, I made the decision to do an off frame restore.  I will keep the bike as close to stock as possible.   Thank god for digital cameras, I will need all the help I can get to put this beast back together again.

Fortunately I have a garage with enough room and a furnace if needed to stay toasty.  As you all know the tedious part is the cleaning.  The tank had minimum rust, but I did recoat it.  No dents in the tank The seat is original, no rips or tears and the seat pan is solid.  Chrome is good to excellent.  The signals and mirrors are bad, the upper side of the fenders are mildly pitted but cleaned up nicely.  Underside of fenders are well rusted.  The wheels are in surprising good shape.  Tires are shot with extensive dry rot. 

I am now to the point that my bike consists of a frame, swing arm, front and rear wheel, and engine.  As I continued to strip the bike down, I  have noticed an oil leak.  It is around cylinder one and two.  It is difficult to tell whether the leak is at the head gasket or lower off the cylinder cans.  I think I will open the engine, do an inspection, valves and replace the gaskets.  Any input is appreciated.  This weekend I will try to post pictures.

Thanks

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
Re: new old man on the block
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:14 pm »
Welcome to the madness  ;D  ;D

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:08 pm »
welcome, and nice choice of bikes.  8)
It sounds like you got a great deal!
Keep us posted with your resto.

fb1
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »
Welcome.

I wish I was still 61.  ;D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:48:42 pm »
Welcome! Two years until I reach your ripe "old" age. Where are you? Good luck with the project!
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline wingfree

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:20:59 pm »
I am in Darien, Il., western suburbs of Chicago

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:04 pm »
welcome to the madness! columbia sc here. certified beemer cycle tech too.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:22:37 pm »
Welcome new old man.

I would check the compression or do a leak down test on the cylinders first unless you are bound and determined to crack this nut open.

Slight oil leaks are common on the old motors, big leaks- not good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:26:32 pm by Dukiedook »
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline vorhese

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »
Those 4 black hockey pucks are known to leak.

Offline wingfree

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:11:11 pm »
I appreciate the input on the oil leak.  Because the bike is currently in pieces, I think I will ignore the oil leak for now.   If the oil leak is more of a problem than I suspect, can I remove the heads and cylinders without removing the engine?

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »
Welcome wingfree, from the Il, Wi boarder. Enjoy your ride!
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:33 pm »
yes you can pull the top end with engine in the frame
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 05:06:03 am »
Welcome.

I wish I was still 61.  ;D

+1  Enjoy the journey.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 05:54:19 am »
Welcome to the boards from WI. Loved the 350 and always wanted one in the early 70's while in high school. Could only afford a Honda CL175 at the time, but did get a 450 then 750. Good times. Welcome to the SOHC community here.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 06:13:48 am »
Welcome. I leak too but head removal is a pain. I just clean the engine every week or two. Spray w/Gunk, hose off and dry. Why not spray wax the tank and chrome while you're at it. The beer is cold right? BTW I'm most jealous of the heated garage. My wrenching nearly stops in winter and I'm Waaaaay down south in KY. I love the 350f. They sound great and you can really crank on them w/o committing a felony.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:51 am »
A little tip I got from this board regarding the minor head leak: take some 1/4 inch nylon rope and shove it between the fins in the area of the leak. Works fanastic...
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA