Author Topic: Super glue and baking soda fix for broken tabs?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Super glue and baking soda fix for broken tabs?
« on: May 08, 2022, 10:20:32 am »
Has anyone re-attached a broken off tab using super glue and baking soda? The videos say it's a strong fix, I'm just wondering how it works on side cover tabs.
Thanks, Cliff.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Super glue and baking soda fix for broken tabs?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 10:48:22 am »
I haven't used it on side covers but I have used it on other irreplaceable plastic bits at work. It works very well, just apply your super crazy cyanoacrylate (sp?) Glue and sprinkle a little baking soda on the wet glue. The baking soda acts as a catalyst and will instantly harden the glue. Just a dusting will do, I suggest poking a tiny hole in one upper corner of the box and pouring a tiny stream of baking soda from there, that's all it takes. You can also use this technique to build up an area to add strength.

Offline WideAWAKE

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 04:13:50 pm »
I use CA glue everyday at work.

Are you trying to fill a void or just reattach?

Baking soda won’t do anything but help cure exposed glue (and leave a built up blob)

A proper activator is much more effective and can be had fairly cheap

https://www.amazon.com/MITREAPEL-Super-Spray-Adhesive-Activator/dp/B07Y6HG8B6/ref=sr_1_10?crid=RTZZX2RE71V&keywords=ca+glue+with+activator&qid=1652051214&sprefix=Ca+glue%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-10

A little glue on one side press together your parts and spray it while holding it in place. No sanding needed if you keep your glue at a minimum so it doesn’t squirt out when you press your parts together.

Baking soda won’t penitrate a tight fit like activator.

Alternatively you can put glue on one side, spray the other side with activator and press together, you just won’t have any adjustment as it is and instant bond.

CA glue would not be my first choice for attaching a side cover tab unless you could run a few small metal dowels to act as support.

Just my .02

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 04:19:08 pm by WideAWAKE »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 10:32:59 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up using JB Weld clear epoxy. It seems quite strong and easy to work with. I tried super glue and baking soda without success.  i'll do another application tomorrow. I'm repairing Yamiya pieces that were put on the bike but the bike was not ridden with them on. The po complained that were breaking apart. The air box inside part broke in several pieces and a lower tab broke pff the left sidecover. Surprising for Yamiya I think.

Before the epoxy repair.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:15:49 pm »
 I had a repaired sidecover that was backed with fiberglass and held up well. I did one myself later on.
  I also made an aluminum plate to re-enforce the bottom of a broken air filter. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 09:38:08 am »
I use a product called PlastiFix. It's finely ground abs powder and glue. The glue isn't super glue, it doesn't glue your fingers together. I've repaired a stack of side covers and even the fairing from an 86' Honda CB700SC Nighthawk. It was broken into 6 pieces and 1 piece was missing. Using abs sheet I built up a replacement piece by glueing pieces of abs sheet together and grinding it to shape. The fairing is also the headlight housing so it had to be strong. It came out great and is still on the road. I lost the pictures when I got a new phone.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 10:51:24 am »
Cliff, do NOT forget to use fresh rubber grommets too
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 02:47:58 pm »
Yes, full compliment of them on the bike.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 04:57:08 am »
Good info, hope I don't forget it as I go out to fix all the plastics in the garage and shed.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.