Author Topic: which fram oil filter for cb750k2  (Read 3711 times)

amattel

which fram oil filter for cb750k2
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:20:19 am »
I bought several oil filters (fram PH6009) from a guy who used to race cb750k bikes in the 80's.

I was just looking up the fram number CH6009 on the box and I am finding that ph6008 is the one meant for my bike, though obviously ph6009 fits as I have been running these for the last year.

this is the cross reference for bike filters I found that says otherwise.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Could someone please verify for me that this filter is ok for my bike?

thanks!

Adam

MetalHead550

Re: which fram oil filter for cb750k2
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:07:27 pm »
No Fram filter is ok for your bike in my op.  Their quality has declined significantly over the past few years.  Dont take my word for it, do a search on "oil filter test."  Your engine will thank you for it.  I think alot of us run honda filters but there are other brands that are of equal quality.

eldar

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 02:22:39 pm »
I think it depends on the TYPE of fram you get. There are the spin ons and the ones just like the honda filters. I have used fram in ALL my cars and trucks and NEVER had an oil issue. I have used them on my bike as well and have experienced no issues there either. I fail to see how one type of fram could be good an not the other. I use the cartridge though, not the spin on which is what most websites talk about.

Offline volz1fsu

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:21:31 pm »
I have always seen Fram to be one of the higher quality filters in automotive tests.  Not sure how the Motorcycle ones would be of a low quality. I've never had a problem with them in my car which is approacing 190,000 miles and still runs like a dream, hard to kill a small block chevy though.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:18:06 pm »
the bad thing about any filter is,by the time you find out it is good or not the damage is already done
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:58:44 pm »
Good oil filter information here http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters
In fact a great site overall.
Cliff.

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 07:04:28 pm »
very helpful. thanks!
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:04:32 am »
Here in UK if you buy a genuine filter for your FORD its made by Fram so they cant be that bad!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 02:09:32 pm »
Here in UK if you buy a genuine filter for your FORD its made by Fram so they cant be that bad!
bryan,it really doesnt matter who makes a product for a company.the filter in this case is going to be made to fords specifications anyway.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
Years ago FRAM had a reputation for making very good filters.
Company was sold and resold a few times and eventually landed into the hands of businessmen and accountants.
To maximize profits, quality control measures were drastically curtailed.
Quality control measures are key in making a consistently good product over all examples.
Blind brand loyalty kept sales strong despite quality variability. 

Accountants noticed.

After they maximized profits by reducing quality control personnel and processes.  They trimmed skilled assemblers for the product.  Increasing profitability. Without good quality control measures manufacturing mistakes went un-noticed.

Blind brand loyalty and advertising dollars kept sales and profits strong despite quality variability.

Accountants noticed and smiled.

Independent consumers began noticing noisy valvetrain in cars with Hydraulic lifters and began to correlate the occurrence with the brand of filter they used.  Further investigation led to the realization that the bypass valves and pressure relief valve in canister type filters, when defective, cause loss of oil pressure, which starved the hydraulic lifters and made them noisy.
A couple of curious souls began a campaign of dissecting new filters on a brand basis.  They found examples of poor quality control in the pressure relief valves and the bypass valves allowing low oil pressure and flow bypass of the filter material rending useless at best and detrimental engine lubrication at worst.  The FRAM canister type filters and their re branded brethren were among the worst offenders in improperly assembled components.   Their design could work alright if properly assembled,  but the assembly process was so unpredictable that often the only function the canister had was to keep oil from being pumped external to the engine.  Often the glue used to anchor the filter media and plastic valves was sloppily applied and block filter media or valve operation.  That is, if the plastic valve were properly formed or placed to function correctly to Begin with.

The problem for consumers is that they all look okay from the outside.  You have to destroy one to find any defects rendering it inoperable. Not many people cut these open either before or after use to examine contents for correct operation.  Engines will run a long time even with dirty oil or low pressures.  An oil filter is not an engine life guarantee, but an engine life extender.  The oil filter is but one aspect of long life engine operation.  How do you prove in court that your engine has lost, say, 10,000 miles of it's life due to a faulty oil filter?

I still use the FRAM filters (CH6009) that don't have valves or enclosures to hide defects.  The filter media itself still seems to work quite well.  And, I can examine for defects before I put it on the bike.

I believe FRAM has lost the recipe to consistently make good spin on cannister filters.  They have certainly lost my trust in their once fine products I have relied upon in the past.

In the hands of their current bean counters, I'm afraid they will never regain my trust or business.

My viewpoint...

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

amattel

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 03:18:28 pm »
thank you TwoTired for your reply. 

I appreciate your excellent attention to detail. 

My bike has been an exercise in improving my own attention to detail and focus, which  has been somewhat lacking for most of my life, I believe.

Happy wrenching to all!  HO HO HO!  ;D

Adam

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:05:31 pm »
I still use the FRAM filters (CH6009) that don't have valves or enclosures to hide defects.  The filter media itself still seems to work quite well.  And, I can examine for defects before I put it on the bike.
I believe FRAM has lost the recipe to consistently make good spin on cannister filters.  They have certainly lost my trust in their once fine products I have relied upon in the past.
In the hands of their current bean counters, I'm afraid they will never regain my trust or business.
My viewpoint...

All this is complicated by the fact that Fram lists 6 different kinds and qualities of canister oil filters on their website.  It is easy to be skeptical and cynical about their claims.  Why sell a lower grade filter that presumedly would not be as good for a customer's engine as your best product?

I've used mostly Fram filters in the 750 in the last 28 years.  I change the filters every other oil change which I do at around 3000 miles, sometimes more.  I know some think that is bad practice, but I've been doing it that way for the last 60,000 miles.  I know some here think I am nuts for using such a long interval, but if the weather cooperates, the bike will roll over 100,000 miles in the next week or so.

I've cut apart the 750's filters the last few years as the miles have piled up when I change them to see what's in them.  I've never found anything of consequence  in them.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 01:08:59 am »
Oil filters and what have you to keep the good oil clean, thats a must.
I have found in Sydney Australia a company who sell a aircraft metal filter which only needs to be washed and replaced .
Its expensive initially but whats A$120 but it reputed to give much better filtertration and I also believe the cap is magnatised.
I use a 2x3"fridge magnetic on my Steel Filterhousing which holds the metal particles whilst the good oil is being screened by the OEM Honda filter, Grease and oil is cheaper than parts.

Clean Air clean Fuel & Clean oil is the basics of good engineering.
Hop on my Honda Cb 750
Dave Australia.
Look at this web page.

http://www.bikespares.com.au/

Kelvin8

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 12:50:45 am »
I had a Honda and a FRAM side by side (cartridge). You can't tell them apart. Honda costs nearly twice as much. I'd rather have the gallon or so of gas instead of the Honda Filter.

Kelvin

I think the 6009 is right for the 750. If they both fit ...

chstr1

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 06:11:24 pm »
I found this awhile back when researching filters for my VTX.  Fram makes several types but I am not going to chance it over a few bucks (take it for what it's worth):

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems.  You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed.  This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer.  Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there.  It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place.  The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan.  The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time.  The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.  I had one of these filters fail in my previous car.  The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system.  The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram.  The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element.  It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow.  The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze.  They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50.  As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine.  It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing.  Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out.  Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines.  Please do not waste your money on this filter.