Author Topic: Looking for Ignition Ideas  (Read 9171 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Looking for Ignition Ideas
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
if its in a car, I am guessing a form of micro racer,  you may need torque and midrange, big  squirter carbs, ie Weber , Dellorto.. may be a good solution..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:36 am »
What do you run for carbs..?

The engine that it's in it now is all stock, including the carbs.  But I'm building up a vintage race engine that has Hilborn fuel injection.

Ah yes, HILBORN.   ;D   I can't decide on running it or selling it.  ???

Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
Neat stuff. I think that these were usually used on engines that were run close to peak power all the time.  Not that good for coming out of the corners with some semblance of throttle modulation...

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:01 pm »
Hilborn varies the amount of fuel injected based only on throttle position, via the barrel valve, regardless of rpm.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »
Hilborn varies the amount of fuel injected based only on throttle position, via the barrel valve, regardless of rpm.

YES and ????

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
If the system is set up to deliver the right amount of fuel at 8000RPM, WFO, and at 2000 RPM you open the throttle to WFO, it will inject 4 times the amount of fuel the engine needs. A carburetor meters fuel based on the amount of air flowing through the venturi, rather than strictly throttle opening. Hilborns were used mostly for drag racing, where it's WFO all the time, although I know a guy that is running one on a sprint car, and that's mostly WFO, too.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 06:42:12 am »
If the system is set up to deliver the right amount of fuel at 8000RPM, WFO, and at 2000 RPM you open the throttle to WFO, it will inject 4 times the amount of fuel the engine needs. A carburetor meters fuel based on the amount of air flowing through the venturi, rather than strictly throttle opening. Hilborns were used mostly for drag racing, where it's WFO all the time, although I know a guy that is running one on a sprint car, and that's mostly WFO, too.   

I think that is what I said these were good for in my first post.....

KOS

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
The only problem with the basic mechanical hilborn injection setup is that there is no idle circuit. You can fab one if desired.  ;D

By the way,  I thought this was a post about ignitions.  ::)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »
The only advantage to mechanical fuel injection such as Hilborn, is the ability to move large amounts of fuel which is necessary with alky and nitro. On gasoline they wouldn't be as good as a set of smoorhbores .

Offline ealanm

• Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 11:53:33 am »
The only advantage to mechanical fuel injection such as Hilborn, is the ability to move large amounts of fuel which is necessary with alky and nitro. On gasoline they wouldn't be as good as a set of smoorhbores .

If they'll let me, I'd like to run the car on methanol, which is how it ran back in the day.  At the moment, though, the track I run at doesn't want methanol because the corner workers are equipped and trained to work with gasoline fires.
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
--Aldous Huxley

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 05:45:57 pm »
Do they have famous vid's of alcohol racing fires on YouTube? Invisible flame
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
Just curious, how fast do the cars go, and what do they weigh, and are there other engines used.. ???

There is an engineless microracer owned by a fellow that works on my block, English, and it uses either a Norton or Matchless single, it has a panhead 4 spd! (I have seen the trans, but not the whole car) I did buy a 60s sprint car chassis from him, and eventually sold it back to the original builder of it in 67.. :o That was a pretty cool story with a neat ending!

Re the injectors;
 A handful of bikes really stick in my mind from the 9 years or so I went to Sturgis between 76 and 88. Say what you will about  mechanical fuel injection on the street.

Alan Petersons Sporty.
 stroked, Magnusen Blower Single Hilborn injector, alcohol, wrinkle-wall slick..on the street.. :o probably the cooolest sounding bike I ever heard on the street. If he did a burnout 2 miles away, you would hear it.. sounded like a funnycar or a rail..

Another single Hilborn injected HD used to show up on the street there..

Around 80ish a very well built CBX from St Paul MN showed up 6 inch wrinkle-wall.. ran 10.1 first time at the drags.. :o On the street it would sometimes br clawing for traction in 3rd at about 80 mph..(this bike later got stolen.. perhaps to eliminate competition?)

They used to parade the drag bikes down Main Street, Pete Hill decided it would be fun to do a Burnout on Main with his Top Fuel Knuck.. :o That was pretty cool..

Anyway, just thought I would mention, pretty impressive to see some injected bikes on the street
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 09:03:46 pm »
Do they have famous vid's of alcohol racing fires on YouTube? Invisible flame

OOOH YES THEY DO !!    :o :o ......

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:13 pm »
The quarter midget guy I know has gone to the cycle X ignition. He has magnetos and doesn't use them. concerning the Hilborn, the mechanical pump is driven by the crank or cam so it delivers a proportional amount of fuel for a given RPM, besides the barrel valve, there are pressure by-passes for idle and hi speed that can be used to tailor a rudimentary fuel curve. It can't work any worse than the PO ruined carbs on my bike.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:52 am »
Hey DON,  What type of magneto's does he have ?  Are any of them for sale ?    ;D

Offline ealanm

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 06:35:57 am »
Just curious, how fast do the cars go, and what do they weigh, and are there other engines used.. ???

Modern cars of this type are quite fast, about mid way between a Formula Ford and a Formula Atlantic, if that means anything to you.  They use modern sport bike engines (I think GSXRs are popular), and have wings and ground effect.  There's no minimum weight, and they weigh well under a thousand pounds.  The paperwork with my car gives the weight as 632 pounds, but I suspect that's quite optimistic.  I haven't had it on scales yet, but I'm guessing more like 750 pounds.

My car is a vintage car, so it's much slower, closer to a Formula Vee.  It only has 73 HP at the rear wheels, no wings, and I'm running grooved vintage tires.  I expect it to be quite a bit faster when I get the race engine in it.
--Aldous Huxley

Offline ealanm

• Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:58 pm »
I've been searching the web for the Hondaman ignition, but with no luck.  Anybody got a link?
--Aldous Huxley