Author Topic: fork seals. 1975 honda cb750f  (Read 2300 times)

alec868

fork seals. 1975 honda cb750f
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:37 am »
Im setting out to replace my fork seals on 75' cb750f. I found a site where someone documented their seal replacement on similar bike. Heres a link.   
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/frkng/frkng.html
The description of using the broom handle to hold internal parts in is sorta confusing. Can anyone explain this more? As well as. Anything else that might be good to know about doing fork seals on this bike

Offline nhodges

Re: fork seals. 1975 honda cb750f
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:25 am »
Not sure about the broom handle thing.  I would suggest loosening the bolt at the top of the tube just a little before removing the tube from the Triple tree (not a lot or the spring will force the bolt into ur face).  I removed my tubes first and then had a hard time getting that bolt to loosen up, had to get an impact wrench and a second set of hands.  I don't think the oil or seals had ever been replaced. 

I also found this site helpful.  Scroll down and view the whole image show
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=11492&seq=1

Take pics of how it comes apart,  the insides of the legs and tubes are not very complicated.

alec868

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:24 pm »
Thanks. Those pictures are much more informative than the instructions i found. I have the clymer as well. It definately doesnt mention a broom handle.

Offline cobrajunkie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
I used an impact on the lower fork bottom bolt to remove and replace.  No need for a broom handle.  I found that installing the seal with the upper fork tube installed and the slide pictured below installed the seal easily.  I found the piece below at a local Ace Hardware in the plumbing section.  Other than that, the video below is all I needed to get it done.  Make sure the seal goes in with gills facing down and slap a little ATF on the seal perimeter to ease it on place and replace or anneal the copper washer on the bottom fork bolt.  Putting the lower fork with old seal in boiling water for five minutes helped in getting the old seal out, just be careful not to scratch the seals mating surface on the lower when you pry out the old seal.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:07:24 am by cobrajunkie »