Author Topic: CR750 / Dick Mann replica - replica front forks from GL1000 forks ?  (Read 31669 times)

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
Re: CR750 / Dick Mann replica - replica front forks from GL1000 forks ?
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:43 am »

Hi Danny boy,

please do post them pics !
Although it is probably a kit version ( but hey, you never know ;D ) I am definitively looking forward to your pics !

Sander
W r e n c h  ·  R i d e  ·  R e p e a t

Offline Phil

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:51 am »
My reason for building a CR750 replica is that it appears to be one of the very few (only?) ways of getting a Honda CB750 on the race track here in the UK. Yes, they are all replicas of a sort - but they are all genuine in that they are all based on original Honda CB750s and that is more than can be said of most Manx Nortons an AJS 7Rs racing in classic events in europe. Triumph Tridents are going the same way. "Rob North Frames", wheels, forks, crankcases, cylinders, cranks, gear clusters, carbs etc., etc., are all newly made and "replicas" and it must now be almost possible to have one without using a single "genuine" and "original" part. To think that my CR750 replica will be prohibited to race because the carbs were not the truly genuine CR750 kit carbs (they are now!) ... when did you last see a British Classic with a truly genuine carb? All makes very, very angry ... and very determined! Shall we have a Honda CB750 Class of our own?

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2010, 11:33:09 am »
Great idea Phil!

First let's try to get them all together at one place! Must be a great sight!

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »
In the case of carbs for British machines, most used Amal which are still made to this day.
They can't be called replica carbs if they have never stopped making them or they are made identical from the same molds.
http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »
In the case of carbs for British machines, most used Amal which are still made to this day.
They can't be called replica carbs if they have never stopped making them or they are made identical from the same molds.
http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/

Sam. ;)

Phil,

Don't be so hasty.

Similar to Sam's experience, many folks in US vintage racing also still use Amals (albeit resleeved).  My Brit Bikes have always raced on Amal GP's, or Mk1-Mk2 Concentrics. Always. I've also got 34mm Mk2's on my street Norton.
Take care,
David

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:43 am »
Back on topic: genuine Cr750 front legs ( Man... guys talking about motorcycles are almost like chicks talking about shopping ;D )

I am 'talking' with the belgian guy from the french ebay auction  ???:

http://global.ebay.com/HONDA_CR_750_VERITABLE_FOURCHE_DE_COURSE_CR750_/130423282249/item

But he speaks French, and like most French he does not speak a word of English.
My French is a little better when speaking about everyday stufff but not much, and Bablefish plain sucks when your want to ask technical stuff ( i do know that much of French language to see it's rubbish coming out of Bablefish). So.... anyone good/fluent in writing for both languages ? ( Candian sohc member ?) And who is willing to convert some technical questions for me into french that makes sense to this guy ?

Pm me or post here !

Thanks Sander
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:49:57 am by cr750 »

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2010, 08:05:54 am »
My reason for building a CR750 replica is that it appears to be one of the very few (only?) ways of getting a Honda CB750 on the race track here in the UK. Yes, they are all replicas of a sort - but they are all genuine in that they are all based on original Honda CB750s and that is more than can be said of most Manx Nortons an AJS 7Rs racing in classic events in europe. Triumph Tridents are going the same way. "Rob North Frames", wheels, forks, crankcases, cylinders, cranks, gear clusters, carbs etc., etc., are all newly made and "replicas" and it must now be almost possible to have one without using a single "genuine" and "original" part. To think that my CR750 replica will be prohibited to race because the carbs were not the truly genuine CR750 kit carbs (they are now!) ... when did you last see a British Classic with a truly genuine carb? All makes very, very angry ... and very determined! Shall we have a Honda CB750 Class of our own?

Phil - I've challenged the very same eligibility rules with the CRMC today. They are trawling for ideas on what eligibility rules need reviewing and updating so I challenged the modern vs. original ruling on Keihin CRs. If we could all use the modern ones which to my mind only differ in a manual lever choke not a tickler, we could all afford decent carbs that we could tune and all go racing. If you want to add to the debate or request any other rules are reviewed you can email Spike or Mark on: 'mark.george@crmc.co.uk'

With regard to the ebay forks in Belgium/France and the titanium sliders, I'm not convinced it is actually rust showing in the pictures - looks more like oil varnishing to me but I could be wrong. However, he does have some dissatisfied customers if you look at his feedback and only 287 trades....be very very certain if you are going to bid at 7000 euros is all I will say!  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2010, 08:15:55 am »
@ lmp At the moment I am only inquiring for info and measurements ;D, thanks for looking out for me though.
@ all See my previous post for translator request; anyone ?!

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2010, 08:23:24 am »
Upon further inspection those forks due appear to have enlarged area (larger OD) towards the top of the fork tubes, where ther go thru lower triple tree.... that would indicate that they are indeed from an RC750 works machine of some vintage.

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2010, 09:27:49 am »
IMO they are real but not in a good state.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »
That is what I figured out also

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2010, 11:06:54 pm »

But he speaks French, and like most French he does not speak a word of English.
My French is a little better when speaking about everyday stufff but not much, and Bablefish plain sucks when your want to ask technical stuff ( i do know that much of French language to see it's rubbish coming out of Bablefish). So.... anyone good/fluent in writing for both languages ? ( Candian sohc member ?) And who is willing to convert some technical questions for me into french that makes sense to this guy ?

Pm me or post here !

Thanks Sander

Perhaps GEORGES may be of assistance. Even if his English is not perfect, he is very fluent in motorcycle!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2010, 04:01:17 am »
Hi Guys,

I just got word from him after an attempt in my best French.
He says they are not rusted but stained, and it's looking worse on pics then real life.
He send me slightly better versions of the Ebay shots.
Still hard to make out anything, I think they are 'real' although I agree with Mark & Rob about their condition.
Could be a reason why he's selling them, because he owns a replica ( he sent me shots of that as well )

Asked him for measurements:

upper tree: 35mm
lower tree: 37,5mm
into lower leg: 35mm

He's actually not living too far away from me (albeit a different country), and he invited me to visit, so maybe I will visit him anyway to see what they are like.

Sander
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:05:23 am by cr750 »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18:52 am »
Well, it's looking good. Good to pay him a visit, it's a lot of cash.

Good luck, Rob

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2010, 04:30:56 am »
Well, it's looking good. Good to pay him a visit, it's a lot of cash.

Good luck, Rob

Hey Rob,
still not saying I will buy them (especially for the money he wants as far as his minimum bid is considered + the state they seem to be in)
But these things don't show up everyday, especially that close, and I am therefore tempted to go and have a look.
Even if it was just to see them up close for the first time in my life ( & snap some pics and measurements to confirm they are the real deal ).

Sander
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:32:37 am by cr750 »

Offline Phil

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2010, 09:20:09 am »
How about taking our CB750s to the Spa Classic next year? Would give me a target to get it finished!

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2010, 10:12:17 am »
Hey Phil,

I will be there!

Rob

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2010, 09:52:17 am »

So are we saying that properly machined fork tubes placed into modified GL1000 legs and a proper mix of upper and lower triple-clamps would at least LOOK like a CB750CR?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:23:20 am by SamCB750A »
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2010, 10:29:48 am »
Well Mr.Bodden it certainly doesn't matter to me that you you and Mr. McGrew obviously don't get along, but know this. First posters will always get the "what for" when throwing stones the very first time on here.

A bit of cool history is always welcome, I'm sure you have your share.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:02 am »
Yes, you are correct about the picture I sent in yesterday and posted on the forum. It is from a Cycle World magazine June 1986 and was a story about Dick Mann called "A Mann's Point of View" written by Dick Man...himself!

i will post to you, but it has only one picture of the Honda CR750 in it. Please give me your address to mail to.

yes that was what i thought , as always there are two sides to every story ,just a pity either side was posted here
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:26:08 am by SamCB750A »

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

since i am the 'owner' of this thread, I want to warn every one, that this is getting totally off-topic, and way too personal.
I do not want any part in this, and I wish to choose no sides whatsoever.
I would like to kindly ask everyone, to keep this forum and this thread what it is good at; providing usefull info about the SOHC honda's and cr750's in special.

Everybody who has to post usefull stuff on the subject (cr750 front forks) is more then welcome, but if people (whoever they are) keep hijacking this thread after this post with personal 'issues' I will kindly ask our well respected moderator; ( insert drumms here  ;) ) Sam to delete those posts or ..... if all else fails delete my thread.

Happy motoring !

Sander

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:16:05 pm by cr750 »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2010, 02:20:04 am »
Hi Guys,

since i am the 'owner' of this thread, I want to warn every one, that this is getting totally off-topic, and way too personal.
I do not want any part in this, and I wish to choose no sides whatsoever.
I would like to kindly ask everyone, to keep this forum and this thread what it is good at; providing usefull info about the SOHC honda's and cr750's in special.

Everybody who has to post usefull stuff on the subject (cr750 front forks) is more then welcome, but if people (whoever they are) keep hijacking this thread after this post with personal 'issues' I will kindly ask our well respected moderator; ( insert drumms here  ;) ) Sam to delete those posts or ..... if all else fails delete my thread.

Happy motoring !

Sander

+1 Sander,

Let's stick to motorcycles guys.

Rob

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:21:36 am by voxonda »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2010, 02:23:34 am »
To plbodden,

What ever happened to the 'big benly'? IMHO one of the nicest bikes around and not just another 'CR-clone'.

cheers, Rob

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2010, 04:47:12 am »
@ Sam thanks for the firm post to get things straight again.
@ plbodden I never respond to anyone posting off-optic; other then "stay on topic", no matter who posts it (you, mark, -anyone-). If you are staying on topic, I welcome you just like any other fellow SOHC enthusiast. Especially since I am sure you have loads of useful stuff/knowledge to contribute to the SOHC forums. We're all in it for the fun, not the fight. For all the other stuff....please follow the advise of wise men like Sam ;-)

And on that note: Thank you for your insights on the Gl1000 forks, and the titanium sliders. Now there's something we can works with ! Keep 'em coming.
Reworked GL1000 forks by race tech; you mean as in their cartridge and emulators and the redrilled holes ? or any other custom work ?

I also have a question for you: would you be willing to share your High Res pictures on the Dick Mann bike ( general or details), as I have seen some in the magazines you are writing for. I would love some higher res details as the pictures I have gathered so far are far from ideal to work with.

@ vox and the others: thanks for the input !

warning ! Dunglish below:

Make* your SOHC, not war ;D
*as in 'fix' - 'build'
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:59:34 am by cr750 »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:05 am »
Please let us not further mis-use this topic and if needed start a seperate one.
Sometimes we have to let thing rest in the past, and look forward.

Rob