Author Topic: Anyone running an old 1000 kit?  (Read 1522 times)

jpswino

Anyone running an old 1000 kit?
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:32:50 pm »
I apologize for clogging up the section with this nonsense.
Just have no one else to ask but yall.
Anyone have experience with an old 1000 kit?
I started the motor today with standard stock carbs. Got it started right away.
I used a new Dyna plate and coils with Accel wires and new plugs.

I believe the motor to really be a 1000 since I see the cylinders are welded shut so I have no reason to think the PO lied to me. Came with VM29's as well, which I still have.
The Norris cam seems to be a drag race profile.
Measured at .020 there is 300 duration both I and E with 380 lift both I and E. 84 degrees of overlap

So I start the motor and it just purrs. Pretty docile and smooth actually. And the stock carbs aren't even dialed in at all. I didn't even set the timing except to install the F and the mark in line. I did however adjust the valves to stock specs, so I guess I'll need to loosen them a little before I really run the motor under load. I just got the Cam specs tonight when I got home so I set the valves stock today but I don't think that would make the motor run like a stocker.
Just seems unusually stock for a 1000 motor and a drag cam. What gives?

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
Re: Anyone running an old 1000 kit?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
It's not going to lope or anything like that if that's what you are talking about. Is it running the same exhaust? My Cobra 1000 with a Norris cam sounded no different than my 736 idle in the garage, with the same carbs and exhaust. It's under load at higher RPM that you notice the difference. But the difference is that it screams through the gears and MPH faster. It sounds pretty much the same at 8k as a 736, it's just there and gone a lot faster.
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

jpswino

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:14 pm »
Cool, then it all makes sense. Thats the kind of answer I am looking for. Just didn't know quite what to expect from this motor in sound. Thought it may be deeper or something. I guess I am used to cars where the more cubes the bigger the sound.

Cheers, jp

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:24 pm »
Sorry mate, I was staring at your avatar pic and I forgot what you were talking about, something about bikes, yeah? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »
You got the cam specs?

jpswino

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:35:06 am »
Yeah I did. Thanks again. I thanked you somewhere else as well.
Greatly appreciated brother.

Offline junkyardjon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:38 pm »
was there a reason you thought Spaz lied to you? i mean everytime you posted anything about this engine the last couple years, you always had to add something to the effect of "make sure the PO didn't lie to me".

not trying to start anything here, just wondering. didn't you open it up and look before you spent the money? is that the engine from his white bike?

jpswino

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »
JYJ if you'd like to discuss the deal between the PO and myself remind me next time I see you. I'd rather not clog this thread up with drama. I'll be down in your area again this week probably.
But I believe I wrote "I have no reason to think the PO lied to me" in reference to how we all here when we see motors for sale that they all have some sort of big bore kit yet there is no real easy way to check on the truth unless removing the head.
And no, the motor was not opened up.
I can only guess its the motor from his white bike. No way to know for sure.

If you've got a bone to pick right now then call me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:03:46 pm by jpswino »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »
next time you want to see.. make a cylinder light, and stick it in the plug hole...,, And have a look..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way