Author Topic: More wintergreen blues  (Read 3677 times)

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
More wintergreen blues
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:25 am »
At $10.75 for a ounce of the stuff at a health food store, I have at least found a local supply but will wait on mail order instead.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62328.25

I've  read the previous threads, but have not seen any of the 350f head to carb insulators being dipped in this rubber restore. It appears that the pics of the 750  carb insulators have no metal component to them. (Is this correct?)

The 350f's carb insulators  have a metal flange on them with bolt holes.

Questions are:

Is there any metal  component to the 750/550 carb  insulators people have "dipped," and was there any problems with the metal separating?

Has anyone used this wintergreen/xylene treatment on this 350f part,  and was it successful??

Is there  danger that it will  expand and cause the rubber and metal flange to come apart?

Is gel super glue the best thing to re-attach them if they do come  apart or is epoxy or some other adhesive better?

Thanks~
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: More wintergreen blues
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:57 am »
No metal in the 750's

bollingball

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:32 am »
My 750K8 are just rubber the clamps are metal but they come off.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:31 am »
The CB750 have no metal component. That is correct.
If the insulators are shot anyway I'd give it a try and if there is any separation I would use an epoxy.
I buy wintergreen by the quart online.
http://www.hdmworld.com/tirepreps.htm
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:17 am »
Thanks, y'all.

Crook County- That's hilarious!  I was traveling and was actually downtown the day the holdout juror finally agreed that Blago lied to a Federal Agent for one count guilty.  Lots of TV vans there at the courhouse. 'Been following that one since before the arrest.

Can't wait to get up ther again. Millenium Park (or pork, as I called ) is actually quite nice.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:18 am »
Thanks, y'all.

Crook County- That's hilarious!  I was traveling and was actually downtown the day the holdout juror finally agreed that Blago lied to a Federal Agent for one count guilty.  Lots of TV vans there at the courhouse. 'Been following that one since before the arrest.

Can't wait to get up ther again. Millenium Park (or pork, as I called ) is actually quite nice.
Mayor Daly just announced he is not seeking another term. WHAT ARE MY BIDS
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:27:41 am »
Go for it, zz!  It's the year for upstarts and Rahm is a fowl mobster.  Someone needs to suprise these political shoe-ins!

Almost all my relatives come from   Chicago, Dad's sister lived a few houses down from  Dailey Sr., right by Commiski (sic) park.  I think I might have been there when he died.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:33:46 am »
 ;D Wait we're turning this into a political thread AHHHHHH! Its going to be a real circus watching these clowns trying to get the nomination!

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:11 am »
2010 politics...I think we've figured out the inmates have long since taken over the asylum.

I had to deal with politicians and courts and crooked unions- about all the same. Any of them seem sociopath. The  'Fargo' car salesman character trying to upsell the truecoat is what they all remind me of.

I asked the Ninth Circuit to do a grand Jury deal in  Alaska.  10 months later sh8 hit the fan for some of those guys. What a coincidence.  HA HA..

When the news came out they (FBI) were looking for hats with CBC embroidery (corrupt bastard club) I  had to sart a wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_political_corruption_probe

Like much government work, the job was  left only half  done.

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »
Bump- 350 rubbers?

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 11:24:43 pm »
Back to subject: I called Walgreen's pharmacy and none of the pharmacists or store people herd of it after getting transferred like 5 times. Then I went to CVS pharmacy and there was a young cute pharmacist my age that knew exactly what it was. It was behind pharmacist counter no prescription required. She only had one 1oz bottle but ordered 3 more for me which will be there tomorrow. She said the only reason it was behind the counter was because they don't sell a lot of it. It was $2.49 a 1oz bottle
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:37 pm »
 a young cute pharmacist my age  

Girl with a good job, BONUS!

I did Walgreens,  their guy said yeah, it's right here...Oh, we sent it back because we didn't sell it. (?)!

I guess I'll look a little harder, but the one CVS I called didn't have it. Sounds like the right price, thanks.

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:04 am »
If you pester then enough, I would think they would be able order for you and it would be in the next day. OR you could just fine a cute pharmacist.  ;D
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:22 am »
The 350 project has moved forward by a small amount and I have an answer for this thread I started.

Not sure what the walgreen's special order cost exactly but I think 2 two ounce bottles cost about $15 with tax.

I had goof off brand xylene in an aerosol can so that is what I used.

I put all of the rubber off two manifolds, carb sets, plenum and air/  battery  box. I used a ziplock bag and sprayed each part with zylene as I put it in the bag. I then used a windex type sprayer to spray each part again with wintergreen oil, and the overspray again going into the bag and over the other parts.

I had a pot of water heated up and boiling  on the electric kitchen stove and ready to  put on the gas grill outside.

When I was done spraying each part the bag went into the boil for about 2-3 hours. Of course the bag failed, but for a bit they soaked in the concentrated solutions.

I ended up with about half a gallon of rubber parts soup spiced with wintergreen. Had no big worries about the flames near the xylene with this ziplock bag method either.

The rubber came out considerably  softer, and to answer my original question it appears that it has no affect on the adhesion of the rubber manifold to the aluminum flange that bolts to the head.

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:13:53 am »
"Had no big worries about the flames near the xylene with this ziplock bag method either."

Are you crazy?

There is no reason at all to heat the stuff and it is extremely dangerous to put it on any heat source; it says so all over the can in great big letters for anyone to read.  You're lucky you didn't make the 6-O'clock news where the blond-haired chick giggles when she tells the world you burned your house down.
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 04:26:57 am »
"Had no big worries about the flames near the xylene with this ziplock bag method either."

Are you crazy?

There is no reason at all to heat the stuff and it is extremely dangerous to put it on any heat source; it says so all over the can in great big letters for anyone to read.  You're lucky you didn't make the 6-O'clock news where the blond-haired chick giggles when she tells the world you burned your house down.

Some of us are dare-devils. And lots of threads said to use heat.

The rubbers on the plenum were too hard to get loose without dipping in a [straight water]  boil, too, so since it was there and hot...

All of the spraying was into  the bag and done quite a distance from any open flame, then it was submerged, and then diluted when the bag broke so it wasn't too big a deal. I might have used about 3 fl oz. of xylene total. No more flamable than the gas grille propane.

But to answer your question,yeah, I can get pretty crazy.

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:11:03 am »
Yeah, I understand, I do some nuts stuff now and then too.  I once hit on this sweet little baboon while her Grey-back old man was swinging in a tree just two or three vine-swings away.  You think that won't squeeze a banana out the old poop-shoot when you get caught?

When I did the boots for my 550 I used about a half a gallon of Xylene mixed with two oz. of the oil.  I just put it in a gallon metal can (you can buy empty paint cans with lids cheap) and let the stuff sit over night (temperatures near freezing at the time).  Next morning the boots were like new and are still nice and flexible weeks later.
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:49 am »
30 minutes max, wintergreen only and simmer not boil.  You can put the bowl hoses in there too but with a shorter time.  Mine came out perfect.

Ok, I take the perfect back but damn close, lol.  The carb boots also swelled longways a bit.  Made the breadbox a little tight to get back on via the bolts and stuffing it in but doable.

Been a few weeks now and the garage still smells nice. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:50:53 am by TipperT »
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:46:52 am »
Yeah, I wasn't sure about boiling it either.  I just put a can of the mixture on the radiator heater in the garage.  But I like the dare devil nature of your project.   ;D
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:47 am »
No half gallon of xylene here, just a half a spray can full of goof off brand name zylene.

I guess it was enough to make a functional redneck flamethrower.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/11/19/79141/redneck-flamethrower-incident.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:38:16 am by tree fiddy of industry »