Author Topic: Masterchiefs Drag Bike.  (Read 14980 times)

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
Re: Masterchiefs Drag Bike.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »
So far so good!
Remember to shed weight - lighter is quicker. Rotating weight (wheels) counts for more than static weight. Same goes into the rotating portion of your motor.
754 (Frank) swears that slammed is the hot ticket, it sure made mine easier to launch.
Here's an addition to your dragbike list I think is THE MOST important - AIR SHIFTER! It's a cheap way to cut gobs of ET.
And undercut the gears... They get worn out pretty fast when you get to missing shifts.  :o
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:57 pm »
i was thinking about cyclex race tranny ill look into the air shifter at a later date because this is a real budget build, as it stands im only in 200 bucks. also i wont start on this until i finish my other build
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 07:16:50 am »
finally started to tear into the motor. its nasty, stuff is stuck together im pretty sure its not seized but we shall see. no pics yet sorry will upload some soon
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Masterchiefs Cafe!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:15 am »

heres a concept i drew up for this one. i wanna make it with scrambler style pipes that exit under tail. might make it so it goes 4-2 on the side oil tank built into the gastank maybe, might look for another location for that not thrilled about that one but i may still do it. have some ideas for that

Trying to put the exhausts up high will be a nightmare.
There will many more problems. When some motorcycles have exhausts
coming out of the rear of the motorcycle it was because the engine was a 90ยบ V twin and two of the exhausts were already facing to the rear.
even on those it caused heat shields to be added front and rear and then the electrics had to be moved to under the seat. That caused the electrics to get hot under the riders  a$#@!
The VF1000 R had that problem.
Some bikes that had the exhaust come out the rear under the seat had to have special heat shields and cooling ducts built into the seat. Still got hot.
Why do you think Honda STOPPED using the V4 engine? Same reason.
They say it was because the engine height was too high but that is not true because they already used dry sump oiling on the CB750! No the real reason is because EVEN if they got the engine lower in the frame of the VF series, then there would not be enough ground clearance for the front two exhausts. And since the frame had that stupid design they had no access to the sides of the engine and they could not put the exhausts there. And on the later bikes they had to put the radiators on the sides of the bike hidden by a fairing. Just one problem after another all because of the exhausts.

But if you just have to have the ass end of the bike up in the air with the exhausts sticking out - go ahead!

BTW....Someone already put the exhausts through the frame on a CB750 under the carbs (fire hazard deluxe), and they the had to move the battery and the oil tank,wiring and had even more problems with heat under the rider, but they did it. Then they had to add a metal heat shield between the carbs and the engine because the fuel in the carb float bowls was getting hot and expanding and over flowing.

Still going to do it?
Oh and the exhausts had to be wrapped all the way along.

One more thing...
Another guy put the cylinder head on backward so they could have the carbs facing forward and exhaust going through the frame and out the back. But then what do you think happened? You guessed it, the carbs will be too close to the frame and front wheel. And of course the cam chain tensioner.
See what I mean.

And I know what its all about ...Style. Forget that .
Do what makes sense. not what is in style .
Racing bikes have always been built to make sense and work well.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:06:39 am by lucky »

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »
already thought about heat of the exhaust, idea scrapped exhaust will dump under bike. only reason i was going with this design was ground clearance to get the bikes stance as low as possible. i still dont have any worthwile pics as riding season has just ended for me and the daily rider gets more attention than this project. i plan to finish the frame modification first. although i may hold out for a frame that has a title as titling this bike will be a pita, possibly register it as a custom build. sorry for the late response been super busy with work.
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 05:25:24 pm »
Hi masterchief, check these pipes out mate.... ;)

Anything is possible  ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Where do you get your facts Lucky  ::)  Honda haven't stopped producing V4's since they started making them in the 1980's....
Try researching something before spreading misinformation..

VFR1200

http://www.feelvfr.com/en_GB/pages/mainpage
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:01 pm »
retro why the hell did you post that. now i must copy it to flatter the originator
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
retro why the hell did you post that. now i must copy it to flatter the originator

Probably because it has been done plenty of times, and if you are building a Drag bike, heat isn't an issue.... ;)  It comes apart under the seat making for easy removal and if you are worried about heat near the carbs then fab up an aluminum heat shield to go between the pipes and carbs... Have pics of heat shields for carbs somewhere if you are interested.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »
yes please
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »
I''l post them later on because they are on a portable Hard drive that i don't have access to ATM.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:23:15 pm »
if you look closely...you can see the aluminum heatshield protecting the carbs in the pics..just sort of wraps around them. should be easy to accomplish!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:18 am »
ah i see it now. well something to ponder
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
Knowing that the bike has been dumped, have a good hard look at your frame to make sure it is not twisted.

I would take a pretty nasty spill to produce the type of road rash shown on your switch gear.

Worth a look.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:25 pm »

Where do you get your facts Lucky  ::)  Honda haven't stopped producing V4's since they started making them in the 1980's....
Try researching something before spreading misinformation..

VFR1200

http://www.feelvfr.com/en_GB/pages/mainpage

You are correct I made a mistake when I said Honda stopped making those V4's.

But they still have all of the problems associated with the exhausts.
If you do not believe me go to VFRworld.com and see the complaints about trying to fix the water pumps and getting the carbs off .

I am saying that trying to put the exhausts up high on the CB750 will be problamatic.
The photo above shows the heat shield next to the exhausts.
And it is the same on the other side.

BTW many members of vfr world do not work on their own bikes. But they have to pay the high bills.
Adjustments would be very difficult or impossible.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:39:37 pm by lucky »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »
There really is no comparison with the V4, totally different set up. This isn't the first 750/4 i have seen with these type of pipes...
If you look closely at the bike i posted, the pipes are made in sections so they are relatively easy to get off, besides, he is building a drag bike, no comparison to a street bike, you would be stupid to ride most drag bikes on the street, actually, the design of most drag pipes are useless for the street because of clearance issues. Nice retraction by the way, i saw your unedited post ..... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »
already thought about heat of the exhaust, idea scrapped exhaust will dump under bike. only reason i was going with this design was ground clearance to get the bikes stance as low as possible. i still dont have any worthwile pics as riding season has just ended for me and the daily rider gets more attention than this project. i plan to finish the frame modification first. although i may hold out for a frame that has a title as titling this bike will be a pita, possibly register it as a custom build. sorry for the late response been super busy with work.

Use a Vance and Hines CB 1100F sidewinder my friend. Costs less than $240 shipped if you check around. It will fit without much hassle and gives more than enough ground clearance even for a daily ridden street bike. I've got one on 2 of my own bikes. One is on my F model thats set up long and low. Seldom has it scrapped the bottom of the pipe on that bike. The other is on my K model which has been lowered a few inches less than stock ride height.  You can even add a baffle to quieten it down some and give some back pressure.

I just put one on a street F model we built with a mono shock arm. We run it open with pods. It took a bit to get the carb jetting right but it doesn't miss a beat across the rpm band. The motor is stock bore with a lightly ported head and a small drop in Andrews cam. 

Keep in mind you want to get your center of gravity down as low as possible if you intend to dragrace the bike. It will make it easier to launch and handle down track. Try to put all your weight down low, even the battery. Since this is a new build, i would suggest considering a mono shock set up so you can tune the suspension better. Dual shocks just don't give the adjustability like a Busa or GSXR1000 shock. Even stock ones can be revalved to match the length and overall weight of the bike to get optimum performance and tunability. Knowing what i know now, i would have originally built my F model with a monoshock arm. Ahhh, but the K model awaits some modifications and mono shocking it could be at the top of the list. The other thing to consider is using a 17" wheel that is wide enough to accommodate a sticky tire like the Shinko u soft or Hookup. Don't even waste  your time on an 18" rim because you will not find a decent enough compound tire to hook. I'm only speaking from experience. To get my F model to hook, i'm locked in using an 18" , 5.5" MT slick. Hindsight, hindsight hindsight. Trust me, the chassis set up is way more important than the motor build when it comes to dragracing, especially a hand clutch bike.

Oh, don't forget to give your front forks attention as well. They can be stiffened and lowered internally. You want to use new seals and add heavy weight fork oil. The idea is to minimize travel in the forks to keep the frontend from yanking up on you when you launch. Pulling them up through the triple tree to lower the bike is ok but you really should make sure to limit the travel. A front end lowering strap used on late model sport bikes can be fitted on the stock Honda forks in leiu of internal lowering and stiffening. The straps are cheap and legal to use. I would not recommend them on the street unless you loosen them up first to allow more travel. It can be tightened up when at the strip. Pay attention to the clearance the front wheel has away from the header whenever  you begin to lower your frontend. Some thought might be given to slightly raking the neck. This will help to lower the bike and stabilize the front end. It will also increase the wheelbase a bit which helps to keep the front end on the ground and the weight distribution has also changed. Don't get carried away with  the rake angle- only pull it back enough to clear the pipe. 

I would recommend that you consider installing that air shifter as an initial part of your build. You will benefit with an instant drop in ET over foot shifting. You can almost build an entire air shifter from parts and pieces bought out of the Grainger catalog. Or, try to get a used kit off Ebay. Do a search in Ebaymotors under the heading "dragbike of drag bike" and you will be surprised at how cheap the used kits can be. Go with electric over air.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 02:26:30 am »
There really is no comparison with the V4, totally different set up. This isn't the first 750/4 i have seen with these type of pipes...
If you look closely at the bike i posted, the pipes are made in sections so they are relatively easy to get off, besides, he is building a drag bike, no comparison to a street bike, you would be stupid to ride most drag bikes on the street, actually, the design of most drag pipes are useless for the street because of clearance issues. Nice retraction by the way, i saw your unedited post ..... ;D

I owned a Honda VF1000R gear driven cam engine and built a chopper with the engine.
I started working on motorcycles when I was 16 in a Honda dealership.
The VF1000R engine carbs were the worst design I have ever seen.
Part of the reason is that Honda has car designers in the motorcycle dept.
Also on the VF1000R two of the carbs are down draft and two are side draft.
Getting to the adjustments to sync the carbs requires a special bevel drive screw driver which you have to put a socket on to get to the adjustment on the front throttle shaft.
Even on my chopper with a frame that I built, it was still hard to do.
But at least the thermostat is not UNDER the carbs like the newer v4's

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:28:57 am by lucky »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 08:27:33 am »
Nice chop there Lucky, I'm sure it could have been a nicer DRAG BIKE. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Will try to stay tuned in MC. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike