Author Topic: The slow and unsteady progression of a bike named Lucy, a CB750 built 08/72.  (Read 11578 times)

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
looks incredible man....
where did you get that tail light?

are you up and running? not exactly close but....
this ride is down in SD next weekend
http://www.tonup-sd.com/

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Thanks a lot Socalenduro, unfortunately she's not running just yet but the checklist is getting pretty short. I wish I could go on that ride, maybe next time since SD is only about an hour away. My wife and I get our ink work down in PB. But for now I'd settle on getting the lines of this seat to somehow flow better with the frame and bottom of the tank. I need to modify the seat hinges and I think the bump stops are a bit too thick and raising the rear a bit. I'm not sure what to do yet really. The fenders and tank are now powder coated the same color as the frame. Nothing flashy and with a dirty engine.... ;D But she's getting there. Oh and that tail light is from feebay. Just search "LED tail light" and you should find it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:21:39 pm by rickmoore24 »
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
i think its something about the front part of the seat... like it needs to be slimmed down a little to flow into the tank...
only my opinion, and a very slight change anyway...you rig looks GREAT

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Thanks SoCal! I'll get to the seat eventually. I'm currently trying to figure out some electrical issues, my least favorite part.
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
yeah i have been just ignoring the fact that my tail light doest work...as long as the brake light works im good.....
electrical stuff SUCKS on these old bikes......

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Alright, I've got the bike pretty much wired up and am getting very close to attempting to start her. I'm using all the old electronic technology, new harness and wiring all around. Except for the dummy lights, gauge wiring and coils. (I'm hoping the future holds a modern ignition system and other updated electric bits such as the regulator and rectifier.) For now I'm keeping her old tech because...well that's all I've got.  ;D One thing I am updating though, as far as electrics, is a conversion to a blade type fuse versus the glass tube type (gotta put male connectors on it though, DOH!). I also got a hold of a tank that had some light rust on the inside. I did "the works" cleaning method and I gotta say, it kicks ass. Two bottles, two hours, shake around every fifteen minutes in every conceivable angle for a minute, baking soda water rinse, garden hose rinse, Heet and a little gasoline. No flash rust, sweet.

So lets see: freshen up the coil wires and boots, finish wiring and test electric continuity, new spark plugs, rig up a gasoline I.V. for the carbs and hope I didn't screw anything up. Pretty simple right? Riiiiight....

1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
I'm enjoying you build, nothing over the top.  Just solid and reliable.  I would like to read more about installing the new main fuse.  I want to go that way as well, but am an amateur with electrical.  By the way, where in PB do you get your ink?  I have a buddy that works at Funhouse tattoo.   

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Thanks Brett! I'm not a pro by any means when it comes to electrical, or anything about these bikes for that matter, but these bikes are pretty simple. There is only one fuse after all (thank goodness for me)  :D  All I've done to replace the old fuse box with a new ATC type fuse box is purchase the new box at AutoZone and put some male connectors on it (accidentally put female ones on it first, DOH again!) and put it inline on the harness and positive cable connector. I bought one rated for 30amps and will be running a 15amp fuse. I'll post up some photos when I get it dialed in.

I've stopped in at Funhose before since it's on Garnet too, the guys in there were pretty cool and helpful. My wife and I get our work done up the street with Eric Cooper at Guru Tattoo.
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Slingshot Cycles front brake lines! Great looking product and Shaun was really cool, great service too.

1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
She's Alive!!

Got her to start tonight, finally after about 5 months of rebuild time and recently fiddling with carbs and timing. I have to dial in the carbs and to my dismay I didn't realize my carbs are missing the idle screw (Screw Set B) so I've got one of those on the way. I've posted a video with my novice kick starter skills (about 3 mins run time) I think some will find it funny, such is the life of growing up and riding all EFI bikes except for my old CBR F3 but that was all push start too. Bear with me in the vid I swear the bike starts and runs for a bit. I was a little nervous about putting the bike in gear and rolling into 1st gear but it went well. Now I need to do a carb synch and tighten up the timing. I am noticing some white smoke while the bike warms up, but it seems to mostly go away by the time the carb choke is fully off. I'll do a search and keep and eye on it. I'm happy now that shes back from the dead.  ;D

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

traveler

Nice bike.  Shame you didn't paint the motor before install.... :(

~Joe

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Thaaanks Joe! You know I didn't think not cleaning/painting the motor would bother me, but it knida does. Some would call it patina, I was just lazy really. But the motor was so much worse before. I am going to be building another motor though, you can just see the cases behind the bike in the vid. I think I'll be hopping that one up and make it look nice too. Either to put in this one or possibly another project......I've got the sickness now.  ;)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Finally got her running better. I took her out to NoHo to a guy named Shane and he helped me get her dialed in. Suuuper cool dude that knows vintage Honda CB's like the back of his hand. He did a very thorough job on my carbs. I watched him tear down, clean and rebuild the carbs and what I saw was a very filthy set of carbs that I paid to have cleaned by another member on this forum as well as install a rebuild kit. Well, the rebuild kit was in there but the cleaning job was trash and the reason why my bike ran like crap upon first start up. >:( I won't name any names. Live and learn I guess. I've attached another video, sorry no camera man again, my wife was on a walk and I really apologize about the west coast chopper shirt. But you can really hear and feeel the difference  ;D

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Electrical is now sorted out, fiiiiinally. But I'm sure she'll kick me in the nuts with something or other just when I least expect it. I went on a solo mini-shakedown run that was about 10 miles. She felt great, no hesitation on the throttle and handled sweet. This is my first vintage era bike and I'm pretty amazed how well they handle and to be honest I was worried about the width of the tires because I'm accustomed to the later era sport bikes with the 180's out back but the bike responds really well. Now that I've got my feet wet I'm looking at another CB750 to do a proper full cafe build; with a front fork and rear swingarm mod, upgraded electrics and a built motor. Time to study up on that and see if my wife notices another beast in the garage. Hopefully that'll get started by the winter, I'm going to just enjoy Lucy for now. ;D
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
So, I know this topic has been covered before and my build topic has been done for a while but I thought I'd write a little review on the Morgan Carbtune Pro I purchased a week or so ago. It's a nice tool (albeit plastic), very easy to set up and use and worth the money if you ask me. My CB750 was experiencing a high idle when it was nice and warmed up. I thought it was all kinds of crap; open pipes, not enough or too much back pressure, oil levels, vaccum leak, wrong jetting, hung up throttle cables, blah, blah, blah.....I researched it ALL and made adjustments with no success. My last chance was the vaccum sync. The carbs were cleaned and rebuilt and tight as could be then bench sync'd using the 1/8" drill bit method and that was OK to get her going. But now, no high idle at running temp, smooth idle at stop around 1200-1300 RPM's. Pulls from the bottom to the top like a champ. Whole different bike! If you plan on working on carbureted machines I suggest you buy one for yourself or go in for one with some buddy's. It'll save you some heartache. FYI, I don't know the people at Morgan Carbtune, just wanted to give an assessment of their product. Ride safe guys and gals!!

Rick
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
First time I was able to check out you build thread, well done.  Good to hear the Morgan carbtune worked well for you.  I have one I will be using once I get my bike back together and complete my spoke conversion.

Offline Spiider

• Enthusiast
  • '73 CB750k
Awesome to see someone else with the Morgan tool. I got it but haven't arrived at the point where I need it yet.

Question though...what fitting did you use for the carbs? I saw there are a bunch in the kit.
I'm guessing the answer is as simple as "the one that fit" but I just really wanted to know if I needed to get a size that wasn't included with the tool.

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
@ tweakin - thanks man! it was my first build and on a very tight budget so I did what I could with it. I've followed your thread and man you've done some awesome stuff, can't wait to see the finished spoke conversion. It's gonna look sick!

@ spiider - there were two different types of fittings in the Morgan Carbtune Pro kit I purchased (I'm guessing these are standard for all kits). They look the same but there are two sets, each set of four with a different thread pattern and thread pitch. Mind you, these things are a hardened plastic and can get crossed up easy so take your time and DON'T force it, make sure the rubber O-rings are present on each one. The CB750 takes the set with a smaller thread pattern, you'll see the difference when you find the two types and compare. Let the bike cool down for a bit before removing, oh and have a tool to fish them out of the carbs when you drop them into the nooks and cranny's trying to get them in and out.   ;D  Good luck!!!

Rick
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
New project, shes rough and ugly. New thread when I get underway. :)

Ricky
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Looks like a 72 on the new buy. Does it have red 71red badges on the sidecover?Kinda looks like it in the pics. I like to buy them the way yours is.dirty,grimey,fairly unmolested and hopefully CHEAP--- ;)  Eric

Offline rickmoore24

• Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Yes, the side cover has the red emblem. Surprisingly enough it's intact as well. I got the lot for cheap, if you'll notice in the background the extra frame, tank and seat  with a bunch of other stuff in buckets for $200. The only things missing are the front brake caliper and the electrics side cover is a gonner. I'm going to tear into her this weekend after the Thanksgiving festivities. Can't wait to get into it.   ;D
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1995 EG6