Author Topic: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics  (Read 36093 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 04:21:29 am »
Quick question.  Does anyone know where I can get plugs to plug the intake holes and exhaust?  I am just using really tightly packed towels right now but think plugs would probably be easier.
That's what you use - tight packed shop towels.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 07:12:12 am »
Do a search on the forums, I seem to recall some one explaining how to get the jugs off using 2 wood boards. If I find it I will post a link here for you. It wont be easy tho.. However you have it this far might as well go all the way.

Those exhaust parts look great!! What that set you back?

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:47 am »
Do a search on the forums, I seem to recall some one explaining how to get the jugs off using 2 wood boards. If I find it I will post a link here for you. It wont be easy tho.. However you have it this far might as well go all the way.

Those exhaust parts look great!! What that set you back?

They were $15 each so really not that expensive.  I asked the guy how much it would be to do the tappet covers though and he said since they are aluminum (and apparently much harder to nickel) that they would be 200 for the 8 caps alone!

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
Cool Build! Just found it...and you're givin' it a good overhaul!  Those carbs were KAKA! I'm hooked in!

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 10:40:08 am »
   joshuanagao

To remove the head, you will need to make sure you have not only removed the 12 main nuts, but the 2 smaller 10mm bolts located center front and center rear; your manual should show you exactly where and what pattern to use when torking them for reassembling.
Also; from your pix, it looks like your cam chain tensioner is still in place.  You should have that out at this point. BTW; taking the load off the tensioner would have helped you remove the cam.

When cracking the head loose from the cylinders, you can use a short screwdriver or pry bar but look for an area where the fins are strongest and only apply 2 fingers worth of leverage. If it doesn't come loose with that, you've missed something.

As for the cylinder, it will require a little more force to crack that one. I use a rubber mallet in a slightly upward direction on each end of the cylinder.

For Tappet covers, check out 400FOURstore.com
http://www.400fourstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=4&Product_Code=TTR-400-044&Category_Code=E
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:49:41 am by Godffery »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 10:49:02 am »
Here is the link..

http://www.400fourstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=4&Product_Code=TTR-400-044&Category_Code=E

You need to use the icon that says Insert Hyperlink Godffery...

I think you using the one that says insert FTP link when you hover over it.. See the picture below...

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks Zaipai.
I'm allways getting those confused.  = /

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 01:12:10 pm »
Its cool, any one with building chops like yours (see bike of the year thread) is allowed to mix up computer buttons. If you saw what I have done with some bike parts you would cringe I am sure!

;D

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »
Did some work when I got home from work.  Not a lot but got some good things done.  I couldn't for the life of me get the jugs off so I took a screwdriver, filed it down so it was sharp and jammed it between the upper and lower sections and went to town with a hammer trying to wedge the thing off.  Finally got it!  I would say that it is looking pretty dirty but in overall good shape.  I think I am going to buy a larger bore piston kit.  Anyone know how much difference taking it to about 550cc will increase power? 

Anyone know if this will actually fit the engine? 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970s-HONDA-MOTORCYCLE-CB550-CB500-605cc-BIG-BORE-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e60217446QQitemZ130461824070QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2999wt_1167http://

If that thing will fit it is MINE!!  Just so I know what I am getting into, what parts will I have to change out by putting a large bore kit in like that? 

Here are some pics of the current pistons.  They are now out and sitting on the workbench. 

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 12:15:07 am »
Zaipai-

How far is Paddock Lake from Milwaukee?  I just got into the Dental School at Marquette and will need someone new to ride with!

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 04:47:41 am »
   Yes, that 605 kit will work fine; you just need to find a set of 12 heavy duty head studs to replace your old thin ones.  They should have come in that big bore kit but must be MIA.
You'll also need a good machine shop to do the cylinder sleeve swap.

As for Milwaukee too Paddock lake; it's about 45 mi south west and I'm about 10mi from him.
If you dig vintage bikes, you'll be right at home in Mill'Town.  Check out the Mi'Vin'Moto :
http://milvinmoto.com/  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:52:02 am by Godffery »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2010, 05:17:56 am »
Yes Godffery is correct about 45min depending on traffic. The link is a good place to start, thanks for that Godffery (it worked!) and there are some nice twisties between here and Milwaukee.. ;)

TTYS,

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 08:26:23 pm »
Got a chance to work in the garage for a little bit today.  I had to rip the old shocks apart, get rid of a bunch of buildup, lube those babies up, and put them back together with my new forks from Frank.  I want to buy some gold emulators from Race Tech but that may have to wait for a while.  Does anyone know if the off brand emulators like this work as well as the Race Tech ones? 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110596234745&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_829wt_892

On to the pics!  Got the front wheel mocked up on the forks.  Will have to get some rubbers on them tomorrow.  But here's how it looks so far.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 07:45:11 am »
Does anyone know if the off brand emulators like this work as well as the Race Tech ones?
The RT emulators cost what - $300?  So if the off-brand emulators cost only half as much, you're looking at a savings of $150.  For that amount of money, I would not roll the dice.  If they don't work well, then that means taking the front end back apart and still having to shell out the $300 for the RTCE's.

This advice is coming from a guy who has wasted lots and lots of money over the years doing this kind of penny-wise, pound-foolish thing - buying my 2nd or 3rd choice and then having to replace it when it breaks or doesn't work as advertised.  If the RTCE's really are a budget-buster, I'd suggest sticking with stock until you can manage the funds for the RTCE's.

Even if the product is comparable, the support won't be.  You can call up RT to ask any question about the install, setup, or maintenance of your forks/emulators and they'll help you out.  Well worth the money IMO.

Of course, someone else might step up and rave about one of the off-brand dealies, but I would really tend to go with the proven product on something as important to performance, comfort, and safety as suspension.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 07:58:36 am »
Does anyone know if the off brand emulators like this work as well as the Race Tech ones?
I would not roll the dice.  If they don't work well, then that means taking the front end back apart and still having to shell out the $ for the RTCE's.
I would really tend to go with the proven product on something as important to performance, comfort, and safety as suspension.

Totally agree...!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 08:37:34 am »
I would not roll the dice.  If they don't work well, then that means taking the front end back apart and still having to shell out the $ for the RTCE's.
I would really tend to go with the proven product on something as important to performance, comfort, and safety as suspension.

Totally agree...!

+1 on the RT emulators.  I had Todd at Mission Cycle near me do the install.  The shop is an RT certified installer, and has an area specifically for rebuild / testing of shocks and forks.  I supplied new tubes (Frank's), & seals, along with my old forks.  Not only did he do the disassembly, and emulator install, but he also tested, and matched the springs.  I also got instructions on pickup about adjusting compression if needed.  All for $369 cdn including tax, which I thought was a very good deal.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:21 am »
+1 on the RT emulators.  I had Todd at Mission Cycle near me do the install.  The shop is an RT certified installer, and has an area specifically for rebuild / testing of shocks and forks.  I supplied new tubes (Frank's), & seals, along with my old forks.  Not only did he do the disassembly, and emulator install, but he also tested, and matched the springs.  I also got instructions on pickup about adjusting compression if needed.  All for $369 cdn including tax, which I thought was a very good deal.
WOW - why the hell did I ever screw around with installing my own?  TWICE?  :P

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 09:24:12 am »
WOW - why the hell did I ever screw around with installing my own?  TWICE?  :P

We also talked about new springs.  RT spec'd 80's for my application, and the stockers are about 67/70.  Given my weight (130), he tested the stock ones, and then shimmed them to both match & and be slightly stiffer.  So his approached saved me more $'s.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »
Sent the rotors out to Scott aka Formulasuper to have them drilled and deglazed.  He did an amazing job.  The centers were powdercoated before and they came back without a scratch. 

and installed on the rim.

The rims are in to get tires installed so I should have those next week sometime.  I should also have the remote oil array from Terry in Australia soon.  I also just got some clubman bars from my brother in law for christmas.  Bike is coming together!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2010, 05:53:32 am »
Great work, I am looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2010, 11:45:51 am »
That rim and disk setup looks really nice.  The drill pattern looks good in that it gets all the pad surface.  Nice build. :)
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »
Thanks TT and Tweakin.  I just hope it comes out looking half as good as your bikes do!  TT quick question, I know you got the lines from Aeroquip Startlite for your remote oil setup, did you order them from the online catalog or get them done at an Aeroquip shop in your area?  Regardless, can you give me some more info as I have my remote setup coming from Terry?  What were the lengths you used? Which hosing did you go with? 

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2010, 06:31:56 pm »
Thanks TT and Tweakin.  I just hope it comes out looking half as good as your bikes do!  TT quick question, I know you got the lines from Aeroquip Startlite for your remote oil setup, did you order them from the online catalog or get them done at an Aeroquip shop in your area?  Regardless, can you give me some more info as I have my remote setup coming from Terry?  What were the lengths you used? Which hosing did you go with? 

Hey joshuanagao thanks for the compliment on my build.  I've been assembling my own aeroquip lines for years, so making those was easy.  They are not hard to do, just need a pair of good wrenches that fit snug, so you don't mark the fittings.  I invested in an alloy set years ago, that are made specifically for these fittings, but their not necessary.  I've also got some steel ones that I've cut down, and ground thinner to get into tight spots on race cars.

I ordered all the stuff for this setup from www.murdockindustrial.com , as my usual supplier doesn't carry the Startlite hose, and the fitting(s) I needed for the oil pressure guage.  The oil lines to / from the filter are #6 (pn FBU0600).  I got 6 feet.  The line to the gauge is #4 (pn FBU0400), also got 6 feet there.  If your running a remote gauge like me, you could also use the smaller dash 3, but the hose & fitting selection is very limited.

Note that you can not mix Startlite hose with the normal Aeroquip fittings, they have their own.  I choose the Startlite because it is 45% lighter than the SS braided, and I wanted to use the black lines vs the SS.  That said, the SS braided type is easier to maintain, and more abrasion resistant.  Hope that helps, if you have any other questions, give me a PM.

tintop
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »
I haven't had much time to do anything on the bike but I did get out to the garage the other day to do some engine paint.  I am slowly but surely getting the paint done.  I am using the POR-15 engine paint kit that Godffery recommended in black.  It is a great kit and seems like its basically indestructible once it's on the metal and fully cured.  (It sure takes a long time to get off your hands once it is dry).  Here are some photos of the parts that I have done so far.

Speedometer assembly

Rocker Cover

Oil Pan

I have an engine bolt kit from alloyboltz.com that I will be putting on.  In addition to the other new bolts that I put on the engine.  I should be getting my wheels and tires back soon, so expect some pictures of a rolling chassis (finally!).

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
Has anyone ever seen a headlight set up like this?

The dude says he put 2 LED strips inside the glass and that they function as running lights only and when you turn the headlight on that they turn off. How difficult would it be to do this?  Any ideas of where to start?