Author Topic: NM-AZ hand-off  (Read 4345 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
NM-AZ hand-off
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:35:40 pm »
This is the place to discuss the details of the team SW hand-off to team CA. The riders that will be participating in this segment are encouraged to post here!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
Re: NM-AZ hand-off
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
Awesome!

From my understanding, I'll be a part of the pickup team at the NM-AZ border in Duncan.  And it sounds as if that is going to happen on or around Sunday, April 24th?

Shawn
(480) 736-2677 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
Shawn, how long will it take you to get to Duncan? Are you still thinking of using a trailer to get there? If so, can you carry more than one bike? If so, maybe someone else in the PHX area can tag along.
If you and David can meet up with the riders from NM in Duncan on 4-24, that would be a major milestone...
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:44:15 am »
Shawn, how long will it take you to get to Duncan? Are you still thinking of using a trailer to get there? If so, can you carry more than one bike? If so, maybe someone else in the PHX area can tag along.
If you and David can meet up with the riders from NM in Duncan on 4-24, that would be a major milestone...

Duncan is only about 200 miles from my house in Tempe.  So theoretically I could go get "IT" and get back to my house in a day, but I think that obviously depends on when in the day "IT" arrives in Duncan.  If it's any time after say 3pm, I'd probably just spend the night in Duncan (maybe at the Simpson hotel) and ride back on Monday 4-25.

What would be really awesome is if the NM team was a day earlier and got "IT" to Duncan Saturday night, maybe we could all spend the night at the Simpson and head back to our respective homes on Sunday.  I.E. no time off from work needed.

Regarding my trailer, it is a single, but I wouldn't be opposed to renting a larger trailer from U-haul for a few days.  They are pretty cheap, and even cheaper if I was spliting the cost with someone else.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »
I think gregimotis and Justin were planning on stopping in Las Cruces, NM, then continuing on to Duncan the next day?

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:01:08 pm »
I and Hezzelfuzz (sp?) are NM.

My plan (not discussed with H. at this point) is to Leave Santa Fe early, make the pick-up in the SouthEast corner of the state (Artesia-ish dependent on Texas) then stay in or near Las Cruces.  Next day ride to Duncan for the switch, then ride up 191 and stay in/around Eagar, AZ and return home on Monday.

That plan puts the NM-AZ handoff a lunch date.  If climbing wanted to ride North with me that would be sweet.  I cannot overstate the fantastic-ness of 191, if anyone in the area hasn't ridden it yet, then make time ASAP.

That's one long day (Saturday), one medium day (Sunday), and one short day (Monday).  1,045mi
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:03 am »
I and Hezzelfuzz (sp?) are NM.

My plan (not discussed with H. at this point) is to Leave Santa Fe early, make the pick-up in the SouthEast corner of the state (Artesia-ish dependent on Texas) then stay in or near Las Cruces.  Next day ride to Duncan for the switch, then ride up 191 and stay in/around Eagar, AZ and return home on Monday.

That plan puts the NM-AZ handoff a lunch date.  If climbing wanted to ride North with me that would be sweet.  I cannot overstate the fantastic-ness of 191, if anyone in the area hasn't ridden it yet, then make time ASAP.

That's one long day (Saturday), one medium day (Sunday), and one short day (Monday).  1,045mi

Hey Gregimotis - thanks for the info!  I'll shoot you a PM

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »
RAFster122s is also planning to meet up with you guys in Duncan. Not sure how far he is up for, or in which direction.. (He will be coming from Sierra Vista, and has informed me that it will be 180 miles for him to get there)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:01 pm »
Yes, Scottly is correct that Sierra Vista to Duncan is about 180 miles and I intend on riding to Duncan on Saturday if the hand-off is on time.  I didn't realize this thread had been started or I would have piped up earlier.

I plan on riding from Duncan up to the Phoenix area for the hand-off to Scottly. Hopefully we will have the hand-off Monday morning or mid-day and I can make it back to Sierra Vista via interstate highway back home from Phoenix.

I've got a lot to do to my bike in the next month...

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »
Anyone know where we stand with this?  Sure would hate to ride 200 miles to the border for nothing!