Author Topic: Resurrecting Rusty - my CB400F  (Read 2735 times)

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
Re: Resurrecting Rusty - my CB400F
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 02:16:40 pm »
Today I was putting my forks back together and noticed some letters on them, apart from the “F” indication the front end.

Out of curiosity, anyone got any idea what they mean?
CB750 K2 - From Belfast-2-Belfast
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - Stalled.
CB400F Supersport - Not Rusty any more!

Follow my journey through Africa @ http://Belfast2BelfastByBike.com

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 02:26:27 pm »
These caps are designed to fit one way with the "F" to the front. Tighten these nuts first and then the rear nuts. You should be left with a gap on the rear nut i.e. the cap doesn't touch the bottom of the fork like the front does.

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 02:29:15 pm »
Yes, I know that.

It the other letters I was asking about; the D&P and B&M
CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 03:46:26 pm »
A quick update on progress on the resurrection.

The engine cases I got off EBay, were in better condition that the originals, but if I was going to paint the barrels etc, I obviously had to paint the whole engine. Simoniz Enamel paint was the recommended option I went for. Cleaning and prep were clearly going to be crucial, so rather than spend hours with a toothbrush and some Gunk, I opted to have the parts chemically dipped. They came back looking almost good enough to put back on.
My paint cupboard was a large cardboard box, with some wings added to spare the other contents of the garage, and masking was completed using cardboard cut to shape. This was my first attempt at engine painting so I was a bit apprehensive dive, but the results were, in my own humble opinion fantastic - not perfect, but PDG!

I’m also polishing the various covers – another first – but this is a work in progress. I did however polish the fork legs and, I reassembled them; only I didn’t have a crush washer for the bottom bolts, so that’s a job on hold - it’s always the little things that get you.

Wheel rims and hubs were powder-coated like everything else that was shiny and I have now related the wheels. This is not as easy, the first time as the YouTube videos would have you believe. I think I had 4/5 goes at the first one. The second, rear wheel, seemed much easier; whether this inherent on the wheel, or because I knew what I was trying to do, I can’t say. I’m sending them out to be trued, because ..., well, ~I’ve enough to do :)

Next, it’s on to valves and head and some more polishing.
CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 07:56:16 am »
What a day I’ve had! Is it really a month already since I updated?

I started out this morning finishing off the rebuilding of my carbs. This had been abandoned yesterday evening when I discovered I had put two of the slides in the wrong carbs - the third mistake of the day requiring me to retrace my steps. So here I am taking the carbs apart again and whilst applying a bit - only a little bit, honest – I managed to snap one of the plastic fuel pipes joining each pair  :-X I reassembled as much as possible and then set it aside till I get a replacement.

Next I decided to check the tension on the primary drive chain, as I’d been led to believe it was probably slack. All went well till I started putting the starter clutch together and discovered one of the rollers missing. I know I had it last week so it must be around somewhere. An hour or more later, after a full tidy up and search had revealed nothing, I decided to move on with the check; I discovered DSS had replacements at £2-3 so not a big deal. Then just as I was starting to put the chain in place, there it was, sitting shining in the upper case - happy days!  :D

So I dry assembled all the parts - well quite wet really – and the chain seems slack, and I mean really slack!! Does anyone know if there is a recommended limit to the vertical slack? I haven’t been able to find one. In any case, a new one is on the way.

But I don’t want to give the impression that there has been no progress during the month. The bike is now a rolling chassis, just waiting ....

The powder-coated “chrome” parts look pretty good; obviously not as good and newly done shrimped would look, but a lot cheaper, and since this was never intended as a full-on restoration, perfectly adequate. I did decide the tank and panels had to be painted, even if only to remove the mammoth shadows on the latter, so I have cleaned both and sent them off to be painted.

I have finished repairing and repainting the rear outer mudguard. - looks fine from a distance.

I have renovated the wiring loom, adapting it slightly to take account of the handlebar switches I have; remove the clutch safety switch; and install some relays to save my ignition and light switches. I also cleaned terminals, overhauled the solenoid, replaced some damaged wires and replaced the fuse box, which was in a very sorry state. With the exception go the rectifier, the electrical parts seem to be working OK. The bike came with an original rectifier and one that looks like it came from a 750; this one works, but I don’t really see how I can fit it in place, so that’s a new one of those.

So there is progress; not as much as I’d like, but I’m getting there.
CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 08:27:17 am »
Good progress TLB,cases look good.What color do they say it is,silver with a gold touch ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 07:49:32 am »
I like the black rear fender that looks good. Tank/sidecovers also looking sharp. Good luck!
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2020, 04:48:19 am »
Good progress TLB,cases look good.What color do they say it is,silver with a gold touch ?

The paint is Simoniz Engine Enamel, Matt Enamel.

I like the black rear fender that looks good. Tank/sidecovers also looking sharp. Good luck!

Tank looks good after 40-odd years; not so sure about the panels  :) I’ll be sure to let you see the finished items.
CB450 K1 - Stalled.