Author Topic: 1976 cb750k project-tube diameter question  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Re: 1976 cb750k project-replacement wiring checklist help
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »
I am wanting to start putting together a parts list for rewiring my 750k6.  I am wanting to run LED turn signals and brighter headlight.  So...electrical pros, what do i need, other than new wiring harness, to make LED turns and a brighter headlight work?  thanks!

The LED signals you are going to need either a flasher relay made for LED's or put the correct resistors inline with the lights. 

A brighter headlight there are a few ways.  First I would wire in a relay from the battery to the headlight so it is getting direct power this will make a big difference.  If the bulb is a older bulb go buy a brighter modern bulb like a sylvania silver star or equivalent that have halogen capsules inside them Vs. the old filament sealed beams.  Another option is to get a h4 setup and do the same thing but with capsule H4 bulb which are a bit more common now a days than the sealed beams.  And the last alternative is do a HID bulb.  I personally am not a fan of this cause I find them obnoxiously bright (read blinding and pisses off other drivers in vehicles much larger than you) and the beam pattern isn't real predictable with the cheaper non projection kits, but some members do like them.  (its kinda like the conventional oil Vs. synthetic HID Vs. Halogen the debate can go on forever lets not discuss that one here do a search you'll find tons of threads).  I use the stock type bulb but the modern halogen sliver star version of it and am quite happy with it.  Anyway minimum I would do the relay and suggest the relay mod.

Old-75, can you show a wiring diagram or steer us to the right thread?

Would you not have to wire in a seperate switch to turn the headlight on and off?

Also, if someone were to change from a sealed beam to a h4 setup, could they just use the stock wiring?

Thanks.

Jack
Can't think of any particular thread off hand.
You use the stock switch to run the relay low power side and run a new positive through the relay high side.
You could use the stock wiring for the H4 but it would still be restricted by the old wiring so a relay would be best.  Also as I said a newer halogen sealed beam does the same thing as the H4 as its a H4 capsule inside the glass housing.  The only real advantage to a H4 conversion is you don't have to remove the entire glass piece just the capsule and the H4's are pretty easy to find.

Here's a link to a good page explaining the reasons to do it, why, how, and a diagram.  Its for a car but you just delete the two extra lights.  (our bikes single bulb is a dual filament it has both High and Low beams in one housing so you use one ground and one positive for high side and one for low side)
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline bigtexan449

cb750k6 cafe project
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:48 pm »
Haven't updated in a while.  Since last time, i have gotten the frame stripped, forks broken down and cleaned and started tearing into the engine.  I am planning on just cleaning the engine and replacing gaskets.  I have the valve head (i believe is the correct term) off and over the next week plan on cleaning and degreasing.  Just need to get parts as I go...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:22:25 am by bigtexan449 »

Offline bigtexan449

Re: 1976 cb750k project-starting to get parts
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:01 am »
Very new to this game so comments would be great.
so what are your thoughts?

Offline bigtexan449

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:27 am »
Anyone know what the outside tube diameter is on the 750k6 frame? I'm at work and can't check. I want to order a tail hoop from Dime City and don't know if it is 1" or 7/8".  thanks for the help

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:43 am »
Anyone know what the outside tube diameter is on the 750k6 frame? I'm at work and can't check. I want to order a tail hoop from Dime City and don't know if it is 1" or 7/8".  thanks for the help
It is 1 inch OD TUBE. I would use .085 or.095 thickness just to make it easier to bend.
.120 wall thickness is a little over kill but would still work.