Author Topic: Fernley, NV to Spanish Fork, UT  (Read 6657 times)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Fernley, NV to Spanish Fork, UT
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:38:52 am »
I was going to post this in the rider log thread, but man that thing is unwieldy.  It takes awhile for all the images to load.  So, as Sean did, I'll post it here.  If it needs to be moved somewhere else, OK.

April 29 -  The trip got off to a slow start as US95 was closed due to snow.  There is an infamous hill on the Oregon side of the line that had a couple of semis jack-knifed and blocking the road.  The road cam at Jordan Valley showed low visibility with snow covering the road.  The forecast wasn't favorable.  So I bided my time. 

As it turned out, by 2 PM things improved, so I hit the road.  The road was clear, just cold and windy.  There were a few snow squalls on the way, but the road was OK.  Some shots along US95 in Oregon. –

I got into Fernley about 9 pm.  Sean, Fred and Matt were already settled in, having beat me there by a couple of hours.  Noticing 3 old Hondas parked together, I alerted them to my presence by applying the front brake as I pulled into a parking spot.  The new Honda pads obliged with a nice 125 decibel squeal that could only mean another SOHC4 had arrived.  After introductions, it was time to go get something to eat, then crash. 

April 30 - After Breakfast in the morning, we did the hand off –

It was great to meet Fred, Sean, and Matt.  Thanks again guys for being willing to hang out in Fernley another day in case I was delayed.  Much appreciated.

After loading all my crap on the bike I then set out for US50.  It didn’t take too long get away from the city.  Things thin out rapidly east of Fallon.  Here’s a place called Sand Mountain, used as a OHV recreation area maintained by BLM. 

After that, the country opens up –

At Eastgate, I turned off on NV722.  That road goes over a different pass on the way to Austin.  It is a great road.  I was the only one on it –

Next up was Austin, NV.  It is a old mining town built on a hill.  The climb out of town is a very entertaining bunch of switchbacks –

Back on the road heading toward Eureka.-

A typical Nevada rest area.  No infrared sensing toilets here –

Eureka! –

The 75 mile leg to Ely was next.  It was starting to get pretty cold, so I just got it done and didn’t stop for pics.  Another awesome stretch, though.  Godzilla and I stayed at the Motel 6 rather than tenting it, since it was forecast to get down to 18 that night. Besides, it started snowing after we got there.  So I wimped out.  It was one of the better smelling Motel 6’s I’ve been in.  Godzilla wanted to check out the brothels, but I told him he was on his own.  I don’t know what he ended up doing and am not all that curious.

May 1 - All I know was he was back and ready to go in the morning.  We hung around until the temp got up to freezing and took off.  Back on the road again –

Godzilla checking out the west side of Wheeler Peak, highest peak in Nevada, but only the second highest point.

Later on from the east side –

Godzilla had never seen a homemade stop sign quite like this one near Baker, NV –

The mayor’s house in Baker –

Roadside art near Baker –

We took the Wheeler Peak scenic drive in Great Basin National Park.  The road was still closed above 9000 feet, but still spectacular.  Highly recommended, Great Basin NP is my favorite national park –

After that, it was into Utah.  I’ll post that leg soon.  I also have some video I can put up if anyone is interested.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
Re: Fernley, NV to Spanish Fork, UT
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:31:15 am »
Wow! Great pics of an amazing route. I followed along on Google maps. I can't believe you and Godzilla got to do that all by yourself! Thanks!
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
Good report Greg.Looks like you lucked out with the weather as we did. It seems as though we are moving at a good clip now. Its getting further away from winter so we aren't doing the the 1 week layovers between legs. I'm really glad to see everyone getting into the spirit of it all and staying safe!!! Everyone keep up the good work......WE ROCK!!!!!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Online andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:24:42 am »
Great report Greg and cool photos as always!

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:26:14 am »
Thanks cookin.  I wouldn't have minded having a little company, but it was a great ride anyway. 

You are right Fred, I couldn't complain about the weather.  A little chilly, but the weather let up when it needed to, and made it doable. 

Thanks, Andy, for the high praise on Sean's thread from the epic rider himself.

I'll get the rest done soon.  Dang work.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:03:45 am »
May 1 -

After leaving Great Basin NP, I gassed up at Border.  There are two places to get gas between Ely and Delta, a distance of some 150 miles.  One at Border on the state line, and another in Baker, NV.  After Border, it is a 90 mile stretch to the next town.  The road is mostly straight so you have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

Sevier Lake, dry most of the time -

Snow showers on the menu today too -

Another Eureka, this time Eureka, Utah -

Very scenic from Eureka on the way to Goshen. 

These tracks don't get used much -

It starts to get civilized after Elberta and Goshen.  I hit I-15 at Santaquin and rode up to Springville where I got a motel.

Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:35:48 am »
May 2 -

I talked to Jerry around 9:30 am.  He, Terry, Craig and Steve were in Green River, UT, about 2 hours away.  After eating a couple of automatically cooked motel waffles, I rode up Highway 6 and waited for them on top of the hill near Thistle.  I sat down on a plastic tub lid I found beside the road and leaned against the bike to read the free newspaper from the motel.  I was interested to read that our Special Forces had taken out Bin Laden.  Here I thought he was already dead years ago.  I didn't have long to chew on that before I spied 4 dim headlights in the distance.  I figured 4 dim headlights = 4 old Japanese motorcycles and it turned out I was right.

We rode down the hill to the outskirts of Spanish Fork, gassed up and went into a greasy spoon for lunch. 

After that, it was time for the Godzilla hand-off -

Godzilla didn't seem to mind leaving me.  He #$%*ed about the cold the entire trip, so maybe he figured he'd be better off with the Colorado team.  The joke may have been on him, as I don't think it was all that tropical for them, either.

A very big thanks to the Colorado crew for pushing through some lousy conditions to make the rendezvous.  Much appreciated and it was a pleasure meeting you guys.

After that was the ride home.  I got home about midnight after crossing a cold front near Glenn's Ferry, ID.  But that is another story.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm »
Great write up.  US-50 looks like it lives up to its name...The Loneliest Road.  I particularly enjoyed the Baker roadside art picture.  Think I will have to jump on that road in the near future and experience it for myself--or perhaps wait until the 2012 road rally and go further....
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »
Thanks, Mooshie.  Go for it, it is a great ride.  I ride on some part or another of US50 about every year and I never get tired of it. 
Greg
'75 CB750F