Author Topic: paint or pollish CB750 engine  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
paint or pollish CB750 engine
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:03:32 pm »
Hello
I have a 1971 CB750 engine(think it may have come out from factory painted but not sure)
Wondering if black engine paint stays on for years and years these days if done correctly.
Or is pollishing an easier option to keep looking good.
The prep work will be done with profesional soda blasting, then the next step I'm not sure of yet.
I like the look of both finishes and am wondering if pollished is hard to maintain compared to paint because that would sway me towards paint
Thanks for any info or thoughts
Scott

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: paint or pollish CB750 engine
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »
Polished aluminum without something to protect it requires a pretty decent amount of maintenance to keep it from oxidizing again.  Your engine came painted from the factory.  Everything except for the chrome points, clutch and starter motor covers. 

Offline nayto550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:42:17 pm »
I was asking myself this same question not too long ago about my 750F engine ???.  I decided to paint the engine, mostly because of the ease of maintenance over polished aluminum, but also because it gives me such a wide range of colors to choose from  ;D.  Right now, I'm thinking black cylinders, red cases and head... that will probably change 3 or 4 more times before I actually paint it though  ::)
1976 CB550F
1976 CB750F - in resurrection process
1988 HD FLHS

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »
Vapour blast for me - the process cleans up the cases and then the small particles peen the surface over so you are left with a slightly satin shine that doesn't need polishing up every five minutes. The finish like this lasted 7 years on my CB450 racer until there wa sany noticeable dulling of the surface...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline dodieninja

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »
so along with this would painting an engine painted black be a bad thing? like raise the temps or something?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams

Offline nayto550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »
so along with this would painting an engine painted black be a bad thing? like raise the temps or something?
Like painting over existing paint??  I would highly recommend removing the old paint before repainting an engine.  That's just me though, I'm sure others may have repainted over old paint without incident.
1976 CB550F
1976 CB750F - in resurrection process
1988 HD FLHS

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:08:50 pm »

Flat black dissipates heat the best of any color. 

Offline dodieninja

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:57:40 pm »

ok good cause i dont like shiny polished metal.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »

That's only comparing different paint colors, and not factoring in the insulating effect of layers of paint as opposed to bare metal. 

Offline dodieninja

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

That's only comparing different paint colors, and not factoring in the insulating effect of layers of paint as opposed to bare metal.

ok so if i stripped the engine then painted would that work alright?

Douglas Adams

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:21 am »
This is clearly a case of wanting to do a thing and hoping others will agree, but knowing you'll do it no matter what because it's the look you want. In later years honda painted that engine black right out of the factory.. so just ,make it look how you want it!

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:25:41 am »
you can always just polish it then clear coat it......

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

its high temperature clear coat
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3