Author Topic: engine diagnosis k1  (Read 944 times)

Offline captain rats

• Enthusiast
engine diagnosis k1
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:49:43 pm »
Folks,

Just wanted an opinion on an engine that is in a project bike I am looking at on eBay.

K2 engine with a kick starter that is jammed. Engine rolls when in all gears. With the spark plug out of one cylinder and a spoke placed in the hole it appears that the spoke does not move in the cylinder when rolled in gear indicating the piston is not moving.

I am thinking maybe the primary chain has broken?

Does that sound like a fair opinion? If it has broken off what kind of damage can occur? Would the chain just drop in to the oil pan or would it have caused damage to the gear box?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
Re: engine diagnosis k1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »
Did you check any other holes to rule out broken con rod? It would have to be awfully cheap for me to consider buying something like that site unseen on Ebay. I learning more and more everyday the saying "there is nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle" I think something like this will fall into the same category. Did you check it with a spoke or did the seller tell you this? Post a link to the listing. There could be a number of reasons that it is broken. The primary may have broken when something else broke in the tranny or something locking the tranny, kicker and gears to snap the chain. Thus the broken primary may the least of your issues.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:26:56 pm »
Hopefully the frame and body panels,paint or stock exhaust etc is really nice or original to consider it.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:29:27 pm »
Hopefully the frame and body panels,paint or stock exhaust etc is really nice or original to consider it.

All depends on the asking price.