Author Topic: Cheap Fork Boots - I did it, you can too  (Read 5032 times)

Offline davis96

• Hot Shot
Cheap Fork Boots - I did it, you can too
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:42 am »
I remember a number of times seeing the post in the FAQ's about replacing your fork boots with modified truck shock covers from jcwhitney.com, and thinking it would be helpful if someone provided more specific information and pictures about exactly how to go about doing this, as well as an idea of what the finished product would look like (one man's "looks perfect" is another man's "looks like #$%*"). So I decided to give it a try when my gaiters fell apart in my hands. In my opinion (as far as I'm concerned, if it looks good, who cares if its OEM), the results are almost indistinguishable from stock.

The boots I got were called "rough country" dust boots, $3.10 a piece from jcwhitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/colored-dust-boots/p2006165.jcwx#

-From the bottom (the wider end) I removed 3 ridges, cutting at the smallest part. Then it just slides over the top of the fork lower where the seal is and is tight enough not to need any securing.
-From the top, I cut off a little less than 3 ridges, leaving a little material for the clamp to clamp on to. Pull it up over the ridge in the bottom of the fork ear and secure with one of the stainless clamps included with the boots.
The process is fairly straightforward, but this illustration will help I think:

Here is the finished product:

I hope this helps somebody out and saves people some money.
-Davis
'74 CB350F - sold
'71 CB500K

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Cheap Fork Boots - I did it, you can too
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:37:26 am »
Good tip and pictures  ;)

Offline ndbrody

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »
They must have caught on... the black boots are 10.07 each now, only the red ones are 3.10

Offline ndbrody

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:40:12 pm »
the black boot are still $3.10 at morris4x4center!!