Author Topic: Exhaust Photo Reference Library.  (Read 64806 times)

Offline Chachi

• Hot Shot
Re: Exhaust Photo Reference Library.
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:55 am »
Thanks MCRider. I had pulled my 500 exhaust before (stock header set up), but not this style. Are stainless allen bolts OK to use? Do the pics look OK where the header mounts? I think it's sealed properly, but the flanges are not exactly flush with the angle of motor/header inlets. 1 and 4 show it the most -- the top allen bolts on the flange do not secure as close as the bottom two allen bolts. I assume it's just how this headers mounts, but I wanted to make sure it's not an issue.
73 CB750 K3
72 CB500 K1 - Sold
75 MR50 Elsinore K1

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2014, 08:23:04 am »
Thanks MCRider. I had pulled my 500 exhaust before (stock header set up), but not this style. Are stainless allen bolts OK to use? Do the pics look OK where the header mounts? I think it's sealed properly, but the flanges are not exactly flush with the angle of motor/header inlets. 1 and 4 show it the most -- the top allen bolts on the flange do not secure as close as the bottom two allen bolts. I assume it's just how this headers mounts, but I wanted to make sure it's not an issue.
Originally, the spigot was sealed to the head with a round copper gasket (sometimes it was a composite steel asbestos type washer). The flange on the spigot (replicated on the aftermarket header) pulled up to the head farily evenly, quality control was good and the piece was short. Once someone removes the spigot, and digs out the copper washer smashed into the head, they replace the washer and offer up the header. ITs quality is less, and being one of 4 pipes welded into the collector below, it just may not enter the port in the head at a perfect angle. Hence the flange does not draw up evenly. AS long as you don't leak exhaust gas, its OK. I would warn against trying to tighten it past the point of not leaking. othing will be accomplished and you may strip out the threaded hole in the head.

Any bolt you can get to work is OK by me.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »
Chachi, I believe your pipe is an older MAC.  It's tricky to identify because they no longer make that style megaphone.  I have one just like it, but mine is not chrome.

I also have another newer MAC that mounts the same as yours, and have never had any problems with it mounting and sealing.  The MAC installation directions tell you to just tighten the allen's half a turn past finger tight.  Be sure and always use anti-seize here, whether std. steel or stainless.  Many recommend replacing the allen's with studs and nuts, and I think this would really save some wear and tear on those threads in the aluminum head.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Chachi

• Hot Shot
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »
I pulled mine today and while cleaning discovered that the baffle/megaphone tip is actually painted red. I was going to freshen the tip up with black paint because it was dingy, but the original paint actually cleaned up OK there. Still working on getting some rust off and polishing.
73 CB750 K3
72 CB500 K1 - Sold
75 MR50 Elsinore K1

Offline Chachi

• Hot Shot
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »
Honda Pro Polish from my dealer is great stuff.
73 CB750 K3
72 CB500 K1 - Sold
75 MR50 Elsinore K1

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:51 am »
MC Rider in #47 touches on something (a sore point? Sorry, couldn't resist..) of 90% of all the replacement 4x1 pipes: ground clearance. It was TERRIBLE on almost all; if they didn't scrape/flatten on a good bump, they scraped all the way through a corner you could've ridden through with the stock pipes. And then, there's the Bassani 4x1. Minimal loss of ground clearance but the only way you scraped the muffler was crashing the CB.

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
4 years to find the F3 Factory exhaust and muffler...it cost more than the the bike did lol
2001 Honda Supercharged Valkyrie   <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/meloafer/embed/slideshow/"></iframe> Just having some fun

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »
4 years to find the F3 Factory exhaust and muffler...it cost more than the the bike did lol

But worth it to finish off your beautiful bike.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:22 pm »
Anyone know what these babies are?

I bought them NOS off ebay last summer for $175 8)
I can't even describe the sound they make... eargasmic... ;)

They are a 4-2 crossover design with an integrated fiberglass baffle. They are nice and rumbley at idle, sound almost like a subaru under load and you can hear them from a mile away. And they still don't hurt my ears.

Bumping this, I also have what looks like the same headers but different muffler.. Anyone know who made these?

I have been told those are a Kook style header but probably a knockoff since they were made in Japan....but I could be wrong.  I have the same on my K1 550.  NOS as well from a member on here who did not know what they were either.  I do know mine are a very heavy gauge and were extremely difficult to adjust for even slight misalignment at installation.  The chrome is also very good not the typical cheap header plating.
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2014, 05:13:07 am »

Thanks Steve O..had some minor tuning issues with a slip on non factory slip-on muffler, these pumper carbs are so lean the bike needed more backpressure..btw your profile picture with the Action 4 exhaust is awesome, I had that same exhaust on my K1 back in the 1970's
2001 Honda Supercharged Valkyrie   <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/meloafer/embed/slideshow/"></iframe> Just having some fun

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 06:36:00 am »

Thanks Steve O..had some minor tuning issues with a slip on non factory slip-on muffler, these pumper carbs are so lean the bike needed more backpressure..btw your profile picture with the Action 4 exhaust is awesome, I had that same exhaust on my K1 back in the 1970's

Thanks.  I just had the mufflers rechromed and plan to have them mounted back on in the next couple weeks.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CB750SUPERSPORT

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »

Sorry for the off topic, but I'm new here guys and I recently bought me a super sport and I was wondering what bars those are and if they are comfortable.
Also, the PO jammed on some but ugly new exhaust, kind of thinking to put a shorty cone on there, is it too loud or would you advice another one?
Thanks in advance guys

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:37 pm »
CB750SUPERSPORT, I have the stock bars in a box, I got these from our local Honda shop for 20 bucks, He called them Euro bars , very comfortable makes ya lean forward just a bit more , but had to use the end bar mirrors for rear view , Exhaust ?...you may get a lot of advise here on that..I went for Stock 4-2-1 with Stock muffler to keep it as stock as possible,,But my GL 1500 will set off car alarms at Idle lol ....so loud or quite don't matter to me as long as it is tuned perfect and jetted properly ...btw Nice looking F in those Pictures
 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:58:23 pm by Gearheadgreg »

Offline CB750SUPERSPORT

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:23 am »
Dude your bike looks freakin awesome. Bikes don't come any closer to vintage italian cars than that.
I only repainted mine so far, at first wanted to really start changing it but the longer I have it the longer I wanna keep it as it is.
Maybe some small adjustments here and there, been lookin at clubmans and drags but scrapped those off the list, euro's or superbike it is..
Hard to swap?

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2014, 05:00:29 am »
Dude your bike looks freakin awesome. Bikes don't come any closer to vintage italian cars than that.
I only repainted mine so far, at first wanted to really start changing it but the longer I have it the longer I wanna keep it as it is.
Maybe some small adjustments here and there, been lookin at clubmans and drags but scrapped those off the list, euro's or superbike it is..
Hard to swap?

Easy swap on the bars, little repositioning with the brake line and cables, Keep in mind the F model is the pioneer of the Superbikes today, 4 into 1 exhaust and triple disk brakes ect, and 12 second 1/4 mile times back in the 1970's was amazing..What the Sandsast started the 78 F3 finished being the last..bought this also to chop up and cafe ...but it was such a low mile stored bike i could not do it, hardest part of this project was finding the muffler, prolly have over a Grand in the stock exhaust

Offline CB750SUPERSPORT

« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 10:07:24 am »
Hard to swap?

Easy swap on the bars, little repositioning with the brake line and cables, Keep in mind the F model is the pioneer of the Superbikes today, 4 into 1 exhaust and triple disk brakes ect, and 12 second 1/4 mile times back in the 1970's was amazing..What the Sandsast started the 78 F3 finished being the last..bought this also to chop up and cafe ...but it was such a low mile stored bike i could not do it, hardest part of this project was finding the muffler, prolly have over a Grand in the stock exhaust

Definitely worth it, it's a beauty. Do they make replica's as well? I was checking your pictures, loads of good stuff there  8) what are your toughts on the black one that was on there before? Is it Mac? Love the mirrors as well, whats the brand? I saw you can tilt them down as well, like that look.

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2014, 06:38:42 am »
Hard to swap?

Definitely worth it, it's a beauty. Do they make replica's as well? I was checking your pictures, loads of good stuff there  8) what are your toughts on the black one that was on there before? Is it Mac? Love the mirrors as well, whats the brand? I saw you can tilt them down as well, like that look.
That black muffler was on the bike when i purchased it, not sure what it was? but it Was Loud haha,, the mirrors i found at our local Honda shop here, sorry i can't give ya more info, never seen a replica for the Stock 77-78 F muffler, but i have seen some nice slipons on E-Bay that i think look nice

Offline Pigford

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2014, 01:04:01 pm »
My 1978 F2 with a LASER 4:1 pipe...

Heres some video of her running....

http://youtu.be/EXoy9X3vGpw

;)

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
    • Lost Boy's Blog: Atomic Garage
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2014, 06:08:44 am »
I'm liking that laser exhaust.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
1982 Honda GL1100i
2005 Yamaha Raptor 50
2009 Honda FourTrax Foreman Rubicon
2013 Yamaha WR250R

For my projects/activities: http://www.atomicgarage.net

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2014, 06:37:08 am »
I did not see my CB500 exhaust system on the list so I will post a picture.  I do not know who made these pipes.  They are durable, have a nice, but not harsh, sound and have been on my bile for 10 years.  The only problem I have encountered is a tendency to drag on hard turns to the right.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline 2strokeTrush

• Can you get that back together sonny?
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2014, 12:43:20 pm »
4into2 on the 500k, No idea what brand.

Factory matching numbers 4into4 on the 350F. ;D

If You Aint First Your Last!!

350F project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133079.0

500F Project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135660.0

Offline CB750SUPERSPORT

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2014, 12:40:21 pm »
My 1978 F2 with a LASER 4:1 pipe...

Heres some video of her running....

http://youtu.be/EXoy9X3vGpw

;)

Damnit sounds great!

Offline mboon85

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »
can anyone ID mine...? on a 75 cb750 SS

http://imgur.com/a/uVAS9

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »
I still say it looks like my Kerker. Do you have any better pics of it from as many different angles as possible? I will try and remember to have a photo shoot with mine tomorrow. Your pipes sweep down in the front and 1-2 and 3-4 get tighter together down where they tuck under the engine. They collect just to the right of the oil drain plug and it then sweeps over to the right and comes under the rear brake pedal. I just went out and looked under mine and there is a butt load of oil everywhere but its not hitting the ground. I'm going to be cleaning that up soon to get to my oil pump to reseal it. I will take pics of the header when I get it off the bike. When I got this pipe I cut an inch or 2 off of the outlet to fit my megaphone muffler on it.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2014, 11:41:41 pm »
Chachi, I believe your pipe is an older MAC.  It's tricky to identify because they no longer make that style megaphone.  I have one just like it, but mine is not chrome.

I also have another newer MAC that mounts the same as yours, and have never had any problems with it mounting and sealing.  The MAC installation directions tell you to just tighten the allen's half a turn past finger tight.  Be sure and always use anti-seize here, whether std. steel or stainless.  Many recommend replacing the allen's with studs and nuts, and I think this would really save some wear and tear on those threads in the aluminum head.
I was totally wrong.  This pipe is Jardine.
If it works good, it looks good...