Author Topic: Getting Duplicolor to look like Sunrise Flake  (Read 16468 times)

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
Getting Duplicolor to look like Sunrise Flake
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:06:43 am »
So Im just throwing this out there and wondering if anyone has done this.
Im repainting my tank and side covers and would love to get them as close to what they are now.

Pic of my 750 with its Sunrise flake:

Tango911's 750 painted with Duplicolor "Metal Specs"  Burnt Copper. Its the closest thing I could find that Duplicolor makes to Sunrise Flake.

Pic of Patrick's tank
Duplicolor Metal Specks silver under coats of Duplicolor Metalcast Anodized Red

Im thinking about painting with the Duplicolor "Metal Specs"  Burnt Copper followed up with the Duplicolor Metalcast Anodized Red or Duplicolor Candy Coat Candy Apple Red.
Has anyone ever tried this?
-Adam

1972 CB750 (current project)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87951.0

Offline bikerbart

• Master
Re: Getting Duplicolor to look like Sunrise Flake
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:00 am »
I didnt know what I was doing but I sprayed two orange flake spray cans together ,one in each hand,and came up with something extremely close to match my sunrise flake.It was just for stripes on my old cafe seat,but it was really good.I'll dig up some pics.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
There are a couple of places that will supply you with OEM
quality sunrise orange flake in the requisite 3 parts. One is something like Colorite (somebody help me out with the name)

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
marbles motors

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »
 I haven't tried it, but I used Testors model paint to mimic the Honda gold color. Very close.
 Whatever you use, the base can make a difference. Try spraying it over a silver or gold base.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:55 pm »
oem was over a silver

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:11 pm »
So Im just throwing this out there and wondering if anyone has done this.
Im repainting my tank and side covers and would love to get them as close to what they are now.

Pic of my 750 with its Sunrise flake:

Tango911's 750 painted with Duplicolor "Metal Specs"  Burnt Copper. Its the closest thing I could find that Duplicolor makes to Sunrise Flake.

Pic of Patrick's tank
Duplicolor Metal Specks silver under coats of Duplicolor Metalcast Anodized Red

Im thinking about painting with the Duplicolor "Metal Specs"  Burnt Copper followed up with the Duplicolor Metalcast Anodized Red or Duplicolor Candy Coat Candy Apple Red.
Has anyone ever tried this?
why repaint?  ...personally, I love the look of faded out, patinaed, o.g. Honda candy...it cannot be duplicated...and every, single one is different...this tank will never be painted while in my possession...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:29:10 pm by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »
Agreed...I love the sunflake orange. My tank here is original and I was lucky enough to find this bike with no dents in the tank and it did not need lining either. The side decals were almost perfect. All I needed to do was paint the tank badges. There is some fading on the tank top, but it gives it personality.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:20:20 pm by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
Below is a sunflake orange receipe that was on the board sometime ago. I just found it and hope it works out for you. Let us know how it turns out if you try it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:16:43 am by Johnie »

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »
why repaint?  ...personally, I love the look of faded out, patinaed, o.g. Honda candy...it cannot be duplicated...and every, single one is different...this tank will never be painted while in my possession...

I'm a big fan of patina as well.  I revived a 500 this year that was garnett brown-  the tank had faded to this awesome green that blended nice to brown where the sun hadn't been hitting the tank.

That being said, if I were going to paint my K3, I would do it in flake sunrise orange.  Shiny stuff is nice, too. :)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »
yup, I gotta 550 with the same green/brown thing goin' on
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »

Forgot to mention, the tank's liner is failing, rust bubbles under paint, and one original side cover that recently cracked. If it weren't for those, I would not be repainting them.  I love the color the way it is now.

Agreed...I love the sunflake orange. My tank here is original and I was lucky enough to find this bike with no dents in the tank and it did not need lining either. The side decals were almost perfect. All I needed to do was paint the tank badges. There is some fading on the tank top, but it gives it personality.

Lucky indeed! I wish I could find one.

Below is a sunflake orange receipt that was on the board sometime ago. I just found it and hope it works out for you. Let us know how it turns out if you try it.

Unfortunately it has to be a spray can job.  Can't afford to have it done or buy the equipment to do it myself.
-Adam

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:20:55 am »
Don't know if you guys saw it on eBay a few months ago there was an OEM sunflake orange tank still in the box for sale. The bidding got to around $1,000+ I believe and still did not hit the reserve. I had not seen it reposted. Maybe the guy had a $10,000 reserve on it just to see how high someone might bid on it. He possibly had no intentions on selling it.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Sawdust723

• It ain't illegal if you don't get caught.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 05:37:41 am »
I think that the best solution is if you want sunflake take the tank or the factory color spec sheet  to your local auto-body  paint supplier and they can mix that color in a spray-can  for you.  By the way if you need new decals I know a place way cheaper than 70$ from the only web site i have found. They are only 8$ a sq ft 20 minimum
1974-77 cb750ish
1971 cb350 twin

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08:45 am »
I think that the best solution is if you want sunflake take the tank or the factory color spec sheet  to your local auto-body  paint supplier and they can mix that color in a spray-can  for you.  By the way if you need new decals I know a place way cheaper than 70$ from the only web site i have found. They are only 8$ a sq ft 20 minimum

Ive thought about getting a auto paint supplier to mix colors for me. Need to find a place around Burlington, at least look into it. 

Already have a set of nice decals just waiting to be put on a nice tank.  Got mine from Tango911.  Look to be good quality too. 
-Adam

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »
I haven't tried it, but I used Testors model paint to mimic the Honda gold color. Very close.
 Whatever you use, the base can make a difference. Try spraying it over a silver or gold base.

Been looking into this a little more and ran across your build.  It turns out that the dupli-color candy doesn't come in a spray can.  But...Testers has a Candy Red! Your tank looked great when you were done.  I am concerned with having the paint job go bad from a pin hole leak; It is an ebay find :/.  I'm already down one tank from rust.  Was your tank rusty on the inside before starting?

So not all is lost, Testers Model paint with SprayMax clear might be the answer.

Been looking into the "18 $ paint job" that's been on the forum lately. I may look further into it, but honestly the 24 hr window to paint with one can has me a little concerned. Also, trying to find out which color to use.
-Adam

Offline Danno

• Hot Shot
  • 74 CB550,75 GL1000,76 KZ400,77 GL1000,73 CB750
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 12:06:52 am »
whatever you do with duplicolor paint will not be resistent to gasoline in any way for at least a year and even then anything more than a drop will wrinkle the paint and make the finish look terrible so if you are going to have to get a topcoat to put over it you might as well do it right with the three stage process
when you own a motorcycle the wife does not have to find you handy she just has to find you

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »
73 Flake Sunrise Orange in the Nebraska Sunshine!!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »
B-U-T-FULL there atwood!!! Looking good!!!

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline bjatwood

• Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:38 pm »
B-U-T-FULL there atwood!!! Looking good!!!

Thanks Johnie!
I need to PM you with some questions about Goldwings. Am thinking about a little bigger ride for the wife and I. And NO guys, the CB isn't going anywhere but my garage! LOL

PS...Sorry for the thread-----jack  :-[
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 04:53:50 am »
No worries atwood. Beautiful bike there.
-Adam

Offline bjatwood

• Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 05:47:18 am »
No worries atwood. Beautiful bike there.

Thanks, It will look even better with the new 4 into 4 HM341 OEM pipes I'm going to be putting on it very very shortly!  ;)
Brian