Author Topic: Washed the bike, now it won't start !? Update & questions !  (Read 41038 times)

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
Washed the bike, now it won't start !? Update & questions !
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:04 am »
Hi guys I really hope someone can help me with this one..

yesterday I washed my bike. I didn't use any high pressure, only a ordinary water hoe. I used water, degreaser and  "car shampoo". Now it wont start, this is the "clues".

I washed it one time first, the same way as above. After this it was hard to start, I had to use the electric ignition start for a few seconds for a few times, maybe 5-6. Then keeping a high rev otherwise it would die. After 20-30 seconds everything was normal. I then tried two more times and it started as normal. Normal is first try 1 sec on the electric ignition.

Then I washed it a second time.After this it first behaved a little bit as after the first time, but never "started", then I left it for 1 hour. Tried again, electric, kick, pushing. nothing. I left it over the night. Today I pulled the plugs, and yep, No spark.
There's current everywhere else, lights, horn, start motor . But NO SPARK..

EXCEPT...

On the switch house (don't know the translation) there's the electric starter button and then there is this "OFF / ON / OFF" button. You may call it.... Whit the ignition on, when I move this "button" between the location there was a spark...

So, when trying to start the bike - NO SPARK
when move the "handlebar ignition" - SPARK ( not trying to start, just move between the locations)...

Please, does any one know what could have happend, what I should do.. I Feel not that comfortable with electrics so please help me out... 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:31:34 am by Viktor.J »
Please ! Take a look and give me feedback in my project thread, its much needed :)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112745.0

Honda CB750 K2

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Washed the bike, now it won't start, No spark !?!?! Plz help !
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:15:50 am »
Get the point cover off,  let it dry.. Do not use air pressure if it is electronic, may hurt it.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:10 am »
Did you use a brush or rag to wash the bike. You could've knocked your points wires loose. But like 754 said take the points cover off and let it air dry.
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline Mo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:33 am »
Get a new Oring for the points cover while you're at it

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:01:58 am »
Ok, thanks guys !

I Really hope this is the issue with the bike. Is this a "common" problem ? I've never heard of it, neither the "old folks around" ?

How long aprox do I have to wait until i try to start it again ? a few days ?

Thanx once again.
Please ! Take a look and give me feedback in my project thread, its much needed :)

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:40:56 am »
Dry and clean HTleads (coil to sparkplug).
BTW, what bike?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline wvshooter

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11:51 am »
Got caught in a bad thunderstorm once on a Yamaha 650 I used to own. Storm was so bad I parked the bike on the side of the road and waited for twenty minutes while the rain pounded.

Rain finally stopped but when I got back on the bike it almost wouldn't start. When it did start it ran terrible. I limped down the road wondering what had happened. After a few minutes the bike started running better. After about twenty minutes it was running normal. My guess is the old plug wires had gotten wet enough to cause the spark impulse to be weakened. It's the only thing that made any sense.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:19:06 am »
You can test all the wires and caps at once; Put the bike in a blacked out garage, hose down the top end and wires, crank the engine and watch for sparks around the HT leads.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:50:48 am »
You said when you moved the KILL switch(on-off-on) on the right handlebar you got a SPARK?? You could have possible shorted the switch with water. take a WET-DRY vac and put it right over the KILL switch to pull any water that may be left in there.If you can buy WD-40 in Sweden ,get some and try to spray some down in the switch. The WD=WATER DISPLACING and the switch will make contact through the WD-40.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 07:56:30 am »
There's a hole on the underside of the housing for the straw even.
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
OK, thanks guys. I will see what i can find !

ANYHOW, I removed the point cover today, and found out that I had no coils.

what the f*ck is this ? Never seen this kind of ignition before..

transistor ignition ? IS this good, bad ? Im so confused right now, PO didn't say anything and I had no reason to remove the cover before so Im quite surprised ! I've been looking at dyna S electric ignition, is it time to change now maybe ?

haha can't stop laughing...  :o

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
There's a hole on the underside of the housing for the straw even.

A hole fore the WD-40 ? But... hmmm.... ok, so I just go crazy and spray inside the switch ? Doesn't really make sense.. :)

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »
You said when you moved the KILL switch(on-off-on) on the right handlebar you got a SPARK?? You could have possible shorted the switch with water. take a WET-DRY vac and put it right over the KILL switch to pull any water that may be left in there.If you can buy WD-40 in Sweden ,get some and try to spray some down in the switch. The WD=WATER DISPLACING and the switch will make contact through the WD-40.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Im sure it's just the translation but what is "wet-dry vac" ? Then the WD will "displace" = remove the wather, and provide a contact ?

Thanks for your help !

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »
A hole fore the WD-40 ? But... hmmm.... ok, so I just go crazy and spray inside the switch ? Doesn't really make sense.. :)
Go ahead and dis-assemble the switch then. ;)
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline RFogelsong

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 08:44:16 pm »
Probably just got water somewhere it shouldn't have been and if you're lucky it'll dry out (it should dry out given time)...as far as that ignition system goes, WTF?!?  Never seen anything like that, I'm intrigued.
-Rob

Hondas past/present:
SOHC1:'74 CB125, '78 XL125
DOHC2:'71 CB450K
SOHC4:'73 350F, '75 400F, '75 550K
DOHC4:'81 900F, '01 1100XX
V4:'85 VF1000R, '86 VF500F, '08 VFR800

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 12:30:36 am »
Probably just got water somewhere it shouldn't have been and if you're lucky it'll dry out (it should dry out given time)...as far as that ignition system goes, WTF?!?  Never seen anything like that, I'm intrigued.

:P

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
WET/DRY vac= a shop type vaccuum that you can suck up water or dry debris in the same canister without getting shocked.
WD= is a VERY thin oil that will actually push the water away and off the surface but yet electric current will flow through it.
You have a transistorized ignition( replaces POINTS only) you will still have coils under your tank close to the neck of the bike. Take a hair dryer on LOW heat and dry the ignition module(points area) and also the coils/wires and plug caps. Water tends to get in to every connector and it's not fun to try to remove ALL the water!!!
I have riden my 750 in some VERY heavy rain with only minor problems and it would start right up after sitting a few minutes( not enough time to completely dry out.
 There are ways to bypass every system except ignition to use for troubleshooting but due to language barrier, I'd hate to tell you how and have it mis-interpreted.

Just check ALL connections and make sure they aren't wet, also make sure battery is fully charged. A water path between the POS and NEG post will discharged a battery pretty quick.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
WET/DRY vac= a shop type vaccuum that you can suck up water or dry debris in the same canister without getting shocked.
WD= is a VERY thin oil that will actually push the water away and off the surface but yet electric current will flow through it.
You have a transistorized ignition( replaces POINTS only) you will still have coils under your tank close to the neck of the bike. Take a hair dryer on LOW heat and dry the ignition module(points area) and also the coils/wires and plug caps. Water tends to get in to every connector and it's not fun to try to remove ALL the water!!!
I have riden my 750 in some VERY heavy rain with only minor problems and it would start right up after sitting a few minutes( not enough time to completely dry out.
 There are ways to bypass every system except ignition to use for troubleshooting but due to language barrier, I'd hate to tell you how and have it mis-interpreted.

Just check ALL connections and make sure they aren't wet, also make sure battery is fully charged. A water path between the POS and NEG post will discharged a battery pretty quick.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Thanks, the point cover is of and I will try to blow the electric parts with hot air for faster drying. I think I'll try the WD in the kill switch also.
But what can one do to prevent this #$%* ? I Mean i Should be able to clean my bike or ride it in bad weather. Im going to change the point cover gasket... but then what ? I don't want to have these troubles..

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
Did the points cover have a seal behind it??? Usually when riding in rain that is the first place that gets wet without a seal ring.
 They make some stuff called DIELECTRIC grease. It is used to help keep water out but yet the electrical current flows through it. Most auto parts stores should have it, mostly used inside the spark plug boot to keep it from sticking to the plug.
This grease can be used inside the KILL switch also to help keep it dry. I have riden my 750 in some VERY heavy rainstorms and it never died, it did start running crappy because water was being sucked in my POD filters.

Just try drying everything and you should be OK. While your at it check for a loose /dirty ground wire connection!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
OK, thanks guys. I will see what i can find !

ANYHOW, I removed the point cover today, and found out that I had no coils.

what the f*ck is this ? Never seen this kind of ignition before..

transistor ignition ? IS this good, bad ? Im so confused right now, PO didn't say anything and I had no reason to remove the cover before so Im quite surprised ! I've been looking at dyna S electric ignition, is it time to change now maybe ?

haha can't stop laughing...  :o
Don't think I've ever seen an ignition like that on a CB, but I have seen similar pick-ups, or triggers, or pulsers (whichever translates best?) on automotive ignitions. Trace the blue and yellow wires; do they connect to some sort of module? What about the other end of the wires where they normally connect to the coils?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Toxic

• Expert
I bet if you make sure your points cover is sealed and your plug wires are not cracked and arcing, you should be good.  Even the NOS gasket is crap, so I buy a couple at a time and seal it on with a light coat of sealant.  A very Light coat.

You can by a plug wire tester for a couple of bucks.  I looks like a Bic Razor that you run along each wire while the bike is running and if there is a problem the handle will light up.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
That ignition module looks something like PAMCO PETEs setup.

http://www.cb750ignition.com/
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
You can by a plug wire tester for a couple of bucks.  I looks like a Bic Razor that you run along each wire while the bike is running and if there is a problem the handle will light up.
What's this?
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Verktyg-och-Verkstadsutrustning/Testinstrument-och-Elektronik/Gnistprovare-151372/

Seems to be the same, the description says "for control off teh ignition spark, plug wires and coils without lossen up or penetrate the plug wire. While engine's running place the one end of the tool on the plug wire, a flashing light indicates the spark"..
Like 10$, could be good to have at home, thanks for the tips !

Honda CB750 K2

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
The bike still don't work.....

I've had the battery on recharging and the bike have been standing in garage with about 15 C temperature without point cover for around 7 days....

The thing is, there's ONE spark when you push the electric start, but if you keep the button pressed a few seconds (as usual when you going to start) there's only one spark, the first one.

So if i keep pushing the electric start button in and out, in and out, in and out there's spark, spark, spark. But as I said when keeping a pressure on the button only one spark...

Still there's sparks when switching on the "dead switch"...

What could it be ?

Honda CB750 K2