Author Topic: Lane Filtering Legalised for New South Wales  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
Lane Filtering Legalised for New South Wales
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:34:59 am »
I sure hope Queensland will see it the same way here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-27/motorcycle-lane-filtering-to-be-legal-in-nsw/5287440

Motorcycle lane filtering to be legalised in NSW to reduce traffic congestion, says Roads Minister Duncan Gay

New South Wales motorcyclists will be the first in the country to be legally allowed to lane filter, driving between cars caught in traffic on multi-lane roads.

The practice, also known as lane splitting, is common elsewhere in the world but Australian riders can currently be penalised by police.

NSW Transport Minister Duncan Gay says the shift is part of a package of changes to ease road congestion and improve motorcycle safety.

"We held a successful trial in Sydney CBD last year of motorcyclists being exempt from existing lane filtering laws in an attempt to ease road congestion and measure potential safety issues for other road users," he said.

"As a result of the trial we will introduce a new law that will permit fully licensed motorcyclists to legally filter past stationary vehicles at intersections when it is safe to do so.

"Riders will be able to filter at a speed limit of 30 kilometres per hour. It is important to note the new law will not apply to school zones during hours of operation where there might be an increase in pedestrian activity."

Motorcyclists will still be banned from filtering around trucks and buses, from travelling left of cars in the kerbside lane and from travelling in breakdown lanes.

A new offence will be created for riders who lane filter at speeds over 30kph.

"Filtering at high speeds is dangerous and will increase the crash risk for motorcycle riders and other roads users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians," Mr Gay said.

"The new rule changes will give us the opportunity to communicate with riders so they better understand the risks involved with lane filtering and educate them on safe filtering practice."

Christopher Burns from the Motorcycle Council of NSW says riders are doing motorists a favour by lane filtering because it reduces traffic congestion.

"Duncan Gay... should be applauded for this commonsense move," he said.

"The benefits of lane filtering have been internationally recognised as a solution to traffic congestion in built-up areas."

Motorcyclists argue lane filtering is also safer for riders because it reduces the chances of them being rear-ended.
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
Re: Lane Filtering Legalised for New South Wales
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:09:24 am »
That is awesome, I really missed it when I moved back to Canada from Germany....it just makes sense....Congratulations to New South Wales!!
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:16:55 am »
I have traveled in many states that allow this and have witnessed riders take advantage of this provision. I wonder how safe it is? Is there any evidence of reduced or increased accidents for riders? Or is it equal?

Not passing any judgement, just curious. I don't know that I have the stones to ride in the way I see other riders do, especially in places like California where they don't appear to have the speed restriction on filtering.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:01 am »
I was sure jealous of all the riders 'lane splitting' past me while stuck in a car during Los Angeles, CA traffic  :P
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:42 am »
Dumbest idea ever except for no helmet laws.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:35 am »

I was sure jealous of all the riders 'lane splitting' past me while stuck in a car during Los Angeles, CA traffic  :P

Lane splitting shortened my commute from 2 hours to 1 hour :)
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02:31 am »
Great idea, weave  :P had it for years. As long as it's below a certain speed.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:31 am »
watch for opening car doors if its a traffic jam,some dick will want to get out and try to see what the hold up is?

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »
watch for opening car doors if its a traffic jam,some dick will want to get out and try to see what the hold up is?

Or some dick may open the door just to be a dick when they see you coming. That more than anything makes me shy away from lane filtering.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:51:10 pm by Bailgang »
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
Just claim for damages. You will only be travelling around 10MPH. I think the car door would come off worse.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »
We don't have that here in kansas but they did pass a dead red law. Where a motorcyclists can run a red light legally if it is safe to do so. So no more sitting in turn lanes waiting for someone to come up behind you to help trigger the light.  I always thought lane splitting could be scary
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »
You've got to realise the other traffic is either stopped or crawling. What's scary about it?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »

Really, go back and read the conditions set, we've had a few members here hit whilst stationary sitting behind traffic at lights, this will help stop that, its not lane splitting while traffic is moving, its when traffic is stopped, done it all my life, I would rather be in front of traffic than stuck in the middle of it waiting for some arsehole to run me down from behind or change lanes on me, seen that too...

You've got to realise the other traffic is either stopped or crawling. What's scary about it?

Nothing at all unless your not a good enough rider to trust yourself to do it safely, thats why its being restricted to open licence holders, not noobs...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:33:21 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

AJK

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:23:20 pm »
People have been lane splitting for years, mainly because its common sense & just works. Sure, the drivers might not like it, buts that's only because they are the ones at the end of the queue. On the whole, it leads to less congestion (whatever that means for me in Sydney). Finally the law has seen this, & that is welcomed.
  I'd just love to see more bikes on the road and less cars with 1 person in them.

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »
We don't have that here in kansas but they did pass a dead red law. Where a motorcyclists can run a red light legally if it is safe to do so. So no more sitting in turn lanes waiting for someone to come up behind you to help trigger the light.  I always thought lane splitting could be scary

Left turn on red in OK on MC. As long as you don't kill yourself doing it.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 10:57:45 am »

Really, go back and read the conditions set, we've had a few members here hit whilst stationary sitting behind traffic at lights, this will help stop that, its not lane splitting while traffic is moving, its when traffic is stopped, done it all my life, I would rather be in front of traffic than stuck in the middle of it waiting for some arsehole to run me down from behind or change lanes on me, seen that too...

Nothing at all unless your not a good enough rider to trust yourself to do it safely, thats why its being restricted to open licence holders, not noobs...

+1
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline Frostyboy

• Expert
  • Circa 1951
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »
I'll admit to having done a fair bit of filtering over the years, but nothing in the world could compare to this guy!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDE23vdy_5Q&feature=player_embedded#t=0
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 11:39:09 pm »
man thats just insane!too much coffee?

Offline kiwikk

• Plumbing by Michelotti
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:49:08 am »
Why does the primary advantage of having a motorcycle need a name at all let alone one implying an antisocial activity and a law to limit it?
I for one would certainly not be prepared to sit on my bike in a line of commuter traffic in the pissing down freezing rain, late for work. I'd imagine the car drivers would be laughing their warm dry socks off (and rightly so)
I don't 'lane split' to piss off car drivers. I do it to cut down my travelling time.
If I lived somewhere where I wasn't allowed to do it, I'd probably be in a car (or I'd carry on doing it illegally)

I still can't believe there are riders who think we shouldn't be doing it  :o

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:01 am »
Owen, I'll see you an idiot and raise you a complete #$%*ing moron. ;D

Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 02:01:22 am »
I don't think he will be around very long. I've seen too many dashcam videos of Russian driving.

Offline Frostyboy

• Expert
  • Circa 1951
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 02:02:44 am »

I fold Andrew, you win!  :o
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:32 pm »
When I lived in CA, I always rolled up to the line at a red lihht and was usually across the intersection before the cars were close to half way, but that, s about the extent of my lane splitting. In city traffic or on the freeway, I never felt the need to go between cars, I just changed lanes a lot. There has been talk of legalizing it here in Oregon, I'd vote for it for sure. As for those Russian guys, I saw this daredevil chick on Jimmy Fallon's show the other night, she said "In Russia, we have a saying: 'Don't be a pussy'".

'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 02:14:52 am »
...she said "In Russia, we have a saying: 'Don't be an old pussy'".

AJK

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 05:02:55 am »

Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1

Yeah, i fold too. Surely a numbers game for him (Russian roulette). Must be ghost rider's brother.