Author Topic: CB400 Four, version 9.0 for ME I flip for 400 fours  (Read 30084 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: CB400 Four, version 9.0 for ??? FREE AT LAST
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2016, 08:22:18 pm »
More diarrhea in the crankcase?

Not really

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »
Didn't see this until I pulled the motor

Nor did I notice the frame had been reinforced, but it was a decent job.

Tip before removing motor from a 4oo four-remove the cam tensioner locking mechanism.  I broke one off the first time I pulled a motor from a 400.  That is how I KNOW.

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2016, 08:39:26 pm »
Punt Larry. This bike is not worth your time. Or at least this engine. Local friend has a 400 engine, I can see how much he wants for it. Consider it?
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:29 pm »
Rut-roh! That engine looks beaten up. Cross-threaded a plug and parked it, huh? Yeah right.

As for that frame repair, I was prepared to tell a joke but instead I'll just point at that weld- Whomever welded that needs to step away from the electrode...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Trad

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2016, 09:05:27 pm »
That case is mangled!!! I'd look for a donor case asap. Who knows what's left to be found in that one.
74 CB550 Build: NOS-GUTTED-OEMplus-HOLDTRUE
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,130575.0.html

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:30 pm »
That case is mangled!!! I'd look for a donor case asap. Who knows what's left to be found in that one.

I have a spare set of cases but I would then most likely have to invest in all new main bearings.  From what I can see with the oil pan off the trans looks OK(I do have a spare trans).

Punt Larry. This bike is not worth your time. Or at least this engine. Local friend has a 400 engine, I can see how much he wants for it. Consider it?

Can't hurt to check it out but shipping could be cost prohibitive.  Thank you.

Rut-roh! That engine looks beaten up. Cross-threaded a plug and parked it, huh? Yeah right.

As for that frame repair, I was prepared to tell a joke but instead I'll just point at that weld- Whomever welded that needs to step away from the electrode...

Ugly but it does seem to be strong.  Wish I had picked up welding skill along my path.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:23 pm »
Check with the local community college to see if they have a welding class that is NOT cost prohibitive... They have a welding program at our local community college and they give certificates for grads of the program and area business employ their grads. It's a win-win.
Or, find a friend that has one who would consider teaching you...you aren't too old of a dog to learn a new trick or two.

That case, nothing JB Weld wouldn't fix....

right...  just kidding.  Any big snotty pieces of RTV in the cases too?

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 04:37:35 am »
Check with the local community college to see if they have a welding class that is NOT cost prohibitive... They have a welding program at our local community college and they give certificates for grads of the program and area business employ their grads. It's a win-win.
Or, find a friend that has one who would consider teaching you...you aren't too old of a dog to learn a new trick or two.

That case, nothing JB Weld wouldn't fix....

right...  just kidding.  Any big snotty pieces of RTV in the cases too?

David

No RTV, small miracle.   The program you are referring to here is quite long and I don't care to dedicate that much time, especially when I still have a bit of house repair, and two Kawasakis , and a Triumph and possibly a Concours.......and ???????????  No friends that weld :( :( - waiting of a local welder(who I know through a co-worker) to repair the pink 400. Regards...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 04:46:30 am »
Input thoughts on fixing the crankcase wanted.   Since it is in an area where there isn't any oil nor pressure, it seems to me that if I could find a competent welder it could be fixed. 

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2016, 05:54:16 am »
I went to a Voc-Tech school(HS)this past Winter and had a pr. of crankcases repaired,the crack was very bad on the bottom of an 82' XL125S dirtbike left case.They heated the parts to 400+ degrees in an oven every time they applied weld to it.
They did a good job on the welding and I was ready to put them to use even though they also welded the edge of the mating surfaces on the vertically split case.. I just found another set of cases identical for an excellent price.
I went to Indiana County Technical not far from here.
Larry,if you have a Voc-Tech not far from you(and if you still have the broken piece)it's worth a try to get the job done.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
I went to a Voc-Tech school(HS)this past Winter and had a pr. of crankcases repaired,the crack was very bad on the bottom of an 82' XL125S dirtbike left case.They heated the parts to 400+ degrees in an oven every time they applied weld to it.
They did a good job on the welding and I was ready to put them to use even though they also welded the edge of the mating surfaces on the vertically split case.. I just found another set of cases identical for an excellent price.
Larry,if you have a Voc-Tech not far from you(and if you still have the broken piece)it's worth a try to get the job done.

There is a vo-tech nearby but the piece is missing(probably from several owners past).

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2016, 05:52:38 pm »

There is a vo-tech nearby but the piece is missing(probably from several owners past).

That's a tough break..

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB400 Four, version 9.0 for ??? I flip for 400 fours
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2016, 06:51:22 pm »
Decided to switch center stands from the untitled 77 frame to ver. 9 so I flipped both bikes upside down to make access much easier(kind of like working on a bicycle).

Then spent better part of the day cleaning all the crud off the bike, looks a tad more presentable now.

Then went to work in order to use the parts cleaner for the motor.

Cheers...Larry

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:52 pm »
Nice and clean,I like the title change Larry  :D
Do you think you can find a piece of similarly sized case aluminum to use when you get the case fixed?,that can be an interesting challenge.  :)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2016, 07:26:16 pm »
Do you think you can find a piece of similarly sized case aluminum to use when you get the case fixed?,that can be an interesting challenge.  :)

Nils is checking to see if a spare motor is available.  If not, I think this is salvageable. After all, I have spare sleeves on the way, have 8 more pistons here, I think I've saved the head-will post photos when it is done.  Stanley Cup is on, you a Pens fan?  ...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2016, 07:43:11 pm »

Stanley Cup is on, you a Pens fan? 

Yes....well more so than SJ.   Looks like we might be going into overtime? (5 min to go)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »

Yes....well more so than SJ.   Looks like we might be going into overtime? (5 min to go)

Neither a Shark nor Pens fan(Flyers of course as I've been a lifelong Philly area resident) but I do not like Crosby so I'm rooting for the Sharks.  Should be a real good series...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2016, 07:58:25 pm »

Edit: Pens win!  I didn't see the entire game but the 3rd period was quite good.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2016, 08:02:58 pm »
I haven't been keeping up w/ the games

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »
That was a good game, hard to believe the Sharks couldn't score at the end with a 2 man advantage

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »
Sounds like splitting the cases to see if it needs bearings if you fix it would be needed so you can decide if this is just aluminum scrap or a candidate to fix. Granted it probably is better to switch to a different motor. That frame has a dire need of cleaning and stripping and repainting.
Afraid you are upside down on cost to put this one back together.
will it be hard to recoup the costs of parts and some time at the end? Or, is this possibly a bike you might keep?

Could always swap the frame with the low numbers version 8 to have a nicer bike to sell and reassemble vers 8 with this frame to donate or raffle off the less valuable one...

Just some idle musing...
If you do repair the case, then you could probably salvage a piece to fit out of any junk SOHC case and grind/cut to fit, right?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2016, 08:43:52 pm »
I have a spare set of cases but do not want to go through the process of determining which bearings to use and then having to purchase them(after all I have been called cheap-but to me it is thrifty).  This frame is a fairly low number too and came out somewhat presentable after cleaning. More pics of the frame to come. 

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2016, 10:34:19 pm »
I keep looking around to find a good,friendly motorcycle salvage yard locally.
Larry,I know of a guy who has many different engines/frames(or what's left of them) outside that are wasting away if you like I could give you his contact info.I go over to Twin Lakes Park here around Greensburg often and he's right down the road from the park.He works for A & A Kawasaki,Victory,etc. over in Latrobe on rte. 30 during the day and his name is Bob.I told him I was going to clear out all his 40+ year old vines for him.I spent a few days at it but didn't get any $,just some parts.. I also got myself a bunch of skin irritation from Sumac,Oak,etc. so I've backed-off on the vine removal for now.. He does have a couple CB350F and CB400F engines in the yard sitting.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:05 am »
^^Don't think I'd want to take on a motor that has been sitting outside for years. Kind of what i'm dealing with right now. But thanks for thinking of me...Larry

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:46 am »
^^Don't think I'd want to take on a motor that has been sitting outside for years. Kind of what i'm dealing with right now. But thanks for thinking of me...Larry

I don't blame you on that one,it's a shame what this man has done to SO many nice vintage bikes in his yard for Many years;he really ought to Know better,right? working in a MC shop for years  ::)
I feel like someone should care about them.
Larry,the other thing that's possible is maybe he might let me cut a piece out of one of those old crankcases to weld into your engine,you could trim it to fit.. and then enlist the services of a tig welder.