Author Topic: X-Pipe  (Read 7678 times)

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
X-Pipe
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:18:19 pm »
Any of you guys out there tried the X-Pipe exhaust on your SOHC, CB 750?  If so what do you think?
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Re: X-Pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 12:31:47 pm »
I posted about that exhaust along time ago.
From what I heard/was told, that exhaust is not for the street.
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 01:44:19 pm »
I did a search and could not find anything.  So just no good for the street?  I got a set I am planning on using with my new cafe and wondered if anyone is runnning them now and what they thought of them?

Proteal55, I checked out your pics, nice bike.  Do you buy chance own a Wraith?  Those are sweat bike, would like to have one.  I do have a G1 Hellcat which I love!
Columbus VinMoto

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 02:14:03 pm »
a lot of guys on the other boards (thegsresources, cb1100f.net, etc...) say it is a snake oil for looks only pipe and that the pipe is not long enough for the x-pipe to really do its job. It really is a cool looking pipe and those who have heard it say it is a good sounding pipe. Rust seems to be another issue as they tend to rust out very quickly.

My only complaint is that the whole pipe is supported by the header bolts - you would think there would be another mount for it or something. That pipe must vibrate something awful at the tips.

Anyway, I have not seen them for the SOHC but they are listed for the DOHC engines. For the money I'd rather have a kerker, the one on my 78F sounds awsome and that bike makes tons of power.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 02:33:18 pm »
Proteal55, I checked out your pics, nice bike.  Do you buy chance own a Wraith?  Those are sweat bike, would like to have one.  I do have a G1 Hellcat which I love!
Thanks for the kind words on the CB750.
It is kinda going thru a "cleaning" over the winter, and will be much more refind come spring.
As far as the Confederate, I do not own a wrath. My buddy does, and I ave rode it many a times.
It is my all time favorite bike, as I am gonna be first in line when he decides to sell it...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:13:32 pm »
Hey all I put in a post on the xpipe cause I bid on one on ebay but was to rich for my pocket and it ws listed for my 73 750 K in the description it sounded really good. guys put in parragraphs on how much better they were through out the powerband and good deep throaty sound and it came with baffles  so why wouldnt they be good for the street I just didnt want to be the guinie pig to buy one and have them be  sh#$^%$#t Ive been pro kerker foe 30 some years but these guys said the numbers were better on like low end unlike the 4 into 1 and whenI say 4 into 1 im not talking  Mac to each there own but  I took a mac off sisters 74 750 K and replaced with a hand me down kerker I had hanging in the garage she said like night and day  sound and performance  and we only use the cone piece in the end of the megaphone no baffle you can keep it quiet or you can make it bark love that 3000 rpm snarl have fun seven fifty four ever Craig in Maine
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:51 pm »
     I bought a X-pipe a while back to use on my current project. It will be several more months before I can say anything about how it runs but here's what I found when I mounted it to my '78 750 parts bike:

It is not a 1 piece unit. It comes as four loose header pipes and a collector. It is up to you to weld or bolt the pipes to the collector once it's mocked up. As QTRHOSS states, it is held to the bike only at the header bolts so the collector kinda droops at the rear too much and there is little ground clearance. There is a cross bar on the collector and I intend to have a bracket made to attach the collector to the centerstand mounts. Some bending of the headers may be needed as it will still hang pretty low in the rear, even with the bracket.

Don't know what kind of metal the pipe is made of but it comes coated in a thin layer of crap paint. I imagine it would rust up pretty quick so if it's worth keeping I'll have it ceramic(?) coated.

I am the curious type and intend to find out how this pipe runs compared to the 4-1. But if you want a good, proven exhaust that you don't have to do a lot of work to make fit then buy a Kerker. They run really well on these bikes, sound great, and there are three baffle choices besides the stock baffle (loud, louder, loudest -or- fast,faster,fastest  depending on your perspective)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:49:07 pm »
Hey Footy, try this link.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=1754.0

There's a link in this thread to the makers web site.

You'll find it in the ebay link.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:10:14 pm »
Hey Guys thank you for the help, good info!  I am like you guys in the fact that I have a hard time truly believing the claims that Dr. Campbell make on his web site and via e-mails.  In his defense he has been more than helpful.  But in looking for the perfect exhaust for my cafe, he sent me a pic of a CB 1100 that had the pipe on it and just looked right. 

When I received the pipe in pieces I was a bit apprehensive.  Monty claims the exhaust is perfectly balanced at the exhaust ports & needs no mounting bracket.  He did say you could put a loop around the X portion for a bit of support if you like.  I can not wait to try it out when I get the bike back together.

Proteal55, can you have you buddy shoot me some pics of his Wraith?  I have yet to see one in person (not many Confederates in Ohio).
Columbus VinMoto

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 04:13:12 am »
(not many Confederates in Ohio).

....cause they lost the war!!

Just kidd'n my brotha!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 04:40:10 am »
(not many Confederates in Ohio).

....cause they lost the war!!

Just kidd'n my brotha!! ;D ;D ;D

OOOooHHHhhh, Now that's tacky Greg.  ;D ;D
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline super pasty white guy

• I'm not really a
  • Expert
  • 1976 750 F
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 06:02:43 am »
This is slightly off topic, but how loud are Kerker pipes, really.

Are they like, roll the bike to the next block to not piss off your neighbors while going to work at 7am loud?

Dave
Fruit don't talk, fruit just listens... and waits.

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:59:53 am »
They did loose the war, but I love owning the machine.  You'll have to ride it one of these days Greg!  Did you pick up that new toy, it is off the list now. 

I am interested in the Wraith though as I did not know many had been sold.  I knew they got rid of one or two after they took them to the salt flats, but then the storm hit New Orleans and they moved to Birmingham.
Columbus VinMoto

Offline Rhonda750F

• Hot Shot
  • In the Works!
    • Gallery:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 07:00:22 am »
I've got a kerker and I can say that it's loud enough that if your concerned for others, it might be a problem.  
They do offer different baffles but the one that comes standard on the system I think is the quietest.  The quality of the pipes are second to none, as they say, and the sound when you really rip the throttle is like no other.  Truly how it was meant be, the unadulterated, raw, mechanical song of the beast.  
Man, I want to ride so bad! >:(
Screw the neighbors, get the pipes and run it with a comp, or no baffle at all.  Those lazy bastards should be up anyway! ;D >:( ;D (we need an evil grin!)
Paul Z.
1978 CB750 F rolling chassis for sale. PM me.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:02:43 am »

Are they like, roll the bike to the next block to not piss off your neighbors while going to work at 7am loud?

Dave

I used to start my GTO with open headers at 7 am so nothing is louder than that (my neighbors used to love me) . My kerker is slightly louder than stock at idle, I have no problem with it idling in the driveway but I wouldn't whack the throttle open least I expect the neighbors to throw something at me. some of the lese baffeled race ones would be even louder. 
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 08:26:53 am »

Dave

I used to start my GTO with open headers at 7 am so nothing is louder than that (my neighbors used to love me) . My kerker is slightly louder than stock at idle, I have no problem with it idling in the driveway but I wouldn't whack the throttle open least I expect the neighbors to throw something at me. some of the lese baffeled race ones would be even louder. 

My unsilenced exhaust is much too loud for those not in the rider's seat.  I would recommend a baffle to keep the neighbors happy.  My wife just shakes her head at me, but I know deep down, she thinks it is a cool sound. ;D   You can hear me coming two towns over.

Sparty
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline Rhonda750F

• Hot Shot
  • In the Works!
    • Gallery:
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 12:19:58 pm »
Man, Sparty,
Your bike's the Sh!t.  It just looks so right-on, right-on! ;D
Paul Z.
1978 CB750 F rolling chassis for sale. PM me.

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 01:56:41 pm »
Some very good information but, is anyone on this board currently running a set of X-Pipes?  What do you think?
Columbus VinMoto

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 02:39:32 pm »
      Pretty sure that I was the only member here with a X-pipe, that is until you came along. I've only fit it to a non-running bike and already run in to problems(see previous post). It will be a few months more until I test it on a running bike so you just might be the FIRST member here to report on how it runs. I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:05 pm »

Dave

No. Stock baffles are relatively quiet. Makes it sound more like a modern sport bike when you hammer it but then again I'm never following it.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 03:55:49 pm »
you want this
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:58:13 pm by 736cc »

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 06:56:07 pm »
My unsilenced exhaust is much too loud for those not in the rider's seat.  I would recommend a baffle to keep the neighbors happy.  My wife just shakes her head at me, but I know deep down, she thinks it is a cool sound. ;D   You can hear me coming two towns over.

Sparty
I heard that Sparty, i've been running opens for about 2 seasons, @ what rpm does it sound the most violent, my 550 really smooths out  starting around 7000rpm.. it can get NASTY @ about 2800.
While my pipes are un-baffled.....my wife is baffled.... ;D

and that is a NICE 750..
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline siter81

• vintage bike junkie!
  • Hot Shot
  • TOO MANY BIKES? NEVER
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 06:58:17 pm »
Kerker pipes kick ass. ;)
I just put one on my 750k5 about a month or so ago with pod K- N filters . I  Got the 1.5 comp baffle with it.
Not too loud at all.I thought the stock baffle acted like a cork.
I have had 3 Kerker pipes on diffrent bikes two were Gpz's 550'S (Fun Fast Little Bikes).
Had a mac on the k5 before.swapped to the kerker and bike sounds excellent. :) :) :)

Siter81     8) 8)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:01:10 pm by siter81 »
61 BMW R27 70 BMW R75/5  75 RD350
71 SUZUKI T500
75 CB750K5  Weisco 836, WEB CAM.DYNA IGN,KERKER,K&N,TAYLOR,GALFER,AGM ETC. 
 01 HONDA VC11000C3 AERO.
74&75 DUCATI 860 GT'S

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 08:04:12 pm »
I was lucky to find this Yosh hand-bent race pipe recently. Doesn't look like much, but you should hear it; makes the all-time wonderful LOUD noises. Running w/o a baffle is scary, it actually sounds better with baffle. It changes pitch at hi-rpm's, friggin screams. Turns its rider into a hooligan every time he twists it.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 09:52:22 pm »
I was lucky to find this Yosh hand-bent race pipe recently. Doesn't look like much, but you should hear it; makes the all-time wonderful LOUD noises. Running w/o a baffle is scary, it actually sounds better with baffle. It changes pitch at hi-rpm's, friggin screams. Turns its rider into a hooligan every time he twists it.

Dude, are you in new york? Where did you get that pipe (pm me).
Maintenance Matters Most