Author Topic: Connecting rods  (Read 36437 times)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
Connecting rods
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:57 pm »
How many would be willing to spring for some chrome moly rods strong enough for anything you can put to a 750, if they were in the $750.00 range.

Jay

fuzzybutt

Re: Connecting rods
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:07 pm »
i'm not building a motor that needs one but you might want to pm Metalhead. i work for him sometimes and i know the motor going into his 750k has an r/c head and 31mm cr's

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
I know, I would be interested!!!

Cheers.
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:51:56 pm »
How many would be willing to spring for some chrome moly rods strong enough for anything you can put to a 750, if they were in the $750.00 range.

Jay

Would they be lighter in weight than the stock rods?  Use stock bearing shells? How far in the future we talkin'? 

I'll be sending ya a crank and rotor soon for lightening/balancing and wouldn't mind getting a good set of rods matched to it. The price is certainly nice ;) :)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:02 am »
I'd be interested, Jay. I could sell some vintage rods I have to finance the upgrade. Let us know the specifics and how the project goes.  Thanks.  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:07:31 am »
i would like to hear more...

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:01:51 am »
 Price is reasonable. Crowers I'd guess. I recently got some FJ Carrillo A Beams (from APE). They are OK but I'm used to invisible big end parting lines after honing....the edges are chamfered a bit which looks a bit half assed IMO when the ends are bolted up (there are inconsistent gaps). ::)
  Maybe I'm being picky but they still cost 850.00 a set. I wonder ( out loud) if Carrillo are having the "A" blanks produced off shore?? ???
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:52 am »
I'd need to sell some crap to finance it, but I'd be interested in some for my turbo-'matic project.  I'm also still eying the $525 rods that cyclexchange is having produced (not out yet).  Anything to avoid $1500 for a set of carillos...

Offline rbirkhan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:41 am »
$1500 for 4 tiny rods!!!!!  thats ridiculous. Polish and shot peen the stockers and buy another bike with the $1500 you saved.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:05 am »
 Come on guys....H Beams are "only" 1450.00 a set....not 1,500.00. ;) The SPS bolts are almost 50.00 each! You can get the ARP 625 Carrillo replacement bolts for half that price though I highly doubt Carrillo would sell you a set of rods without the bolts. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
Jay,

Are they as good as the Carrillo set you installed on the crank you lightened and balanced for me?

I'm in for 1 set. You need a down payment to help finance this endeavor? How about a down payment for the 1000 kits too?

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »
I can see it now -

For Sale

1974 Honda CB750 Four
$1,000
$2,500 with rods -

Why would they go from the $1,000 I paid in Jan 2007 to $1,450 now? Only gas, diesel, corn, and milk are allowed to inflate like that.

I'm glad I'm not hot-rodding the 900 Kaw. I will say though, for those willing to fix-up an old Honda 750 - it sure makes you smile when you know you can leave the bigger 900's in your mirrors.

Gordon
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Metalhead

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 02:55:09 pm »
i want some  :o

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
Sounds good to me - can you do 2mm over long? My Arrow rods cost $2200!  :o
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:50 pm »
Gordon,

You got in before the Jan 2007 price increase. Mine were ~$1250. There has been a 2008 increase also. Really bites. Special order now too. Made to order apparently.

I can see it now -

For Sale

1974 Honda CB750 Four
$1,000
$2,500 with rods -

Why would they go from the $1,000 I paid in Jan 2007 to $1,450 now? Only gas, diesel, corn, and milk are allowed to inflate like that.

I'm glad I'm not hot-rodding the 900 Kaw. I will say though, for those willing to fix-up an old Honda 750 - it sure makes you smile when you know you can leave the bigger 900's in your mirrors.

Gordon
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 06:12:23 pm »
They would be Crowers with the tool steel bolts. Good for up to 400 HP. Doubt in anyone is making more than that with a sohc.

If I could get firm orders for six sets, I would do it. They take 6 to 8 weeks. Let me know who wants in. If I get the orders, we will contact you for a deposit.

I looked at the cyclexchange site. That looks like a polished stock rod. The long lead time means they are probably being made in China.

As for the 1000 kits. There are 70, and 72 mm available in 10:1. I am just now confirming if they take currently available ring packs. I will keep everyone posted.

Jay

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 07:00:18 pm »
They would be Crowers with the tool steel bolts. Good for up to 400 HP. Doubt in anyone is making more than that with a sohc.
Jay
Jay
     What are your thoughts about the Carrillo "A" beams I mentioned. I understand your position BUT what about my points? ??? As an aside....those Crowers would be a perfect piece. Good for you for stepping up to the plate. ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »
Jay,

You're tha man!! I'll support your ventures with whatever business I can give you or send your way. I'll take set #1 (will you autograph it for me  ;) )

Re 1000 kits - will APE do the cylinder work (resleeving and boring, etc) and make it one stop shopping?

Jerry

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:17:17 pm »
Jay,

You're tha man!! I'll support your ventures with whatever business I can give you or send your way. I'll take set #1 (will you autograph it for me  ;) )

Re 1000 kits - will APE do the cylinder work (resleeving and boring, etc) and make it one stop shopping?

Jerry
Good idea Jerry.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »
I will  be buying rods, If these will hold up with a blower motor , I would try them.

Whatever I put in I want something that will take whatever I can throw at it.. as opposed to another set down the road. (even if it means more money & longer wait)

How much is a deposit?

I was off work a too long a while so was not able to move ahead on the project.

Jay, can you post ring widths, I have pistons and sleeves for 970, can try to put that together or bore out the 970 to 1000.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:37 pm »
I will  be buying rods, If these will hold up with a blower motor , I would try them.

Whatever I put in I want something that will take whatever I can throw at it.. as opposed to another set down the road. (even if it means more money & longer wait)

How much is a deposit?

Jay, can you post ring widths, I have pistons and sleeves for 970, can try to put that together or bore out the 970 to 1000.
These Crowers will be like the older 2 piece steel Falicons with upgraded bolts (at least). Don't worry about...."what I can throw at them". Personally I've only seen BS thrown here. ::) These are blanks for lower end busa's I'd assume.  ::) I'll tell you what 754....I'll put my card on a set to match you. I don't even need them....it's the point bro. ;)
   Mike

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 07:48:13 pm »
 I'd forget the ring width on that old stuff too. If it ain't XC or....even better XA forget it. :D Just IMO again. ;D

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »

How much is a deposit?

These Crowers will be like the older 2 piece steel Falicons with upgraded bolts (at least). Don't worry about...."what I can throw at them". Personally I've only seen BS thrown here. ::) These are blanks for lower end busa's I'd assume.  ::) I'll tell you what 754....I'll put my card on a set to match you. I don't even need them....it's the point bro. ;)
   Mike

Fighting talk......it's handbag time again ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 07:57:45 pm »

How much is a deposit?

Mike

Sam. ;)
No fight'n when you have the work AND the dough Sam. ;) ;) ;D

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 07:58:51 pm »

How much is a deposit?

Mike

Sam. ;)
No fight'n when you have the work AND the dough Sam. ;) ;) ;D
Oh......you mean the BS part. ::)