Author Topic: Softening hard carb boots  (Read 65913 times)

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
Re: Softening hard carb boots
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 09:40:47 am »
I have intake boots for 750A (all years) and 550F airbox boots ready to ship. I'll have 550K airbox boots and 750K intake boots in about a week. I should have 78 750F intake boots soon. 

..........Paul

so are the 750A boots the same as the 77-78 K boots??

No. The 76A is different from the 77/78A. The 77/78 K is different then the early K, The F is different from all the others........and the list goes on ;D

..................Paul
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline bubbafun101

• Enthusiast
    • My K3
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »
I did what Hondaman did. Rounded up all the boots (8 sets). Next I poured my 4 oz of Wintergreen into the can and placed 2 sets of boots into it. Next I poured Xylene to cover them. Left till soft. Repeat with same mix. A couple of the boots swelled, but returned to normal size in a couple of days. Worked like a charm. I bagged them in sets of 4, tossed them in the carburator box and done. Near as I can tell there is no magical mix ratio.

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
I did what Hondaman did. Rounded up all the boots (8 sets). Next I poured my 4 oz of Wintergreen into the can and placed 2 sets of boots into it. Next I poured Xylene to cover them. Left till soft. Repeat with same mix. A couple of the boots swelled, but returned to normal size in a couple of days. Worked like a charm. I bagged them in sets of 4, tossed them in the carburator box and done. Near as I can tell there is no magical mix ratio.

The wintergreen oil is expensive and irrelevant.
The process will work the same with xylene only, and be a lot cheaper too.
I was shocked that a tiny bottle of wintergreen would cost so much - so I proceeded without it, got great results........
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »
As long as you got it done.

The wintergreen oil here is $5 and works well without the xylene (which is hard to get here).

Go figure
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline steelpig

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
I did my boots in acetone/nail polish remover.  I left them in for a day.  They swells by 20% but returned to normal in 24 hours.  They are as soft as new.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »
I tried Wintergreen and water mix to soften 6 sets of 550 and 650 carb boots. The water method was offered as an alternative to xylene (which you should not heat). I used 8 ounces of Wintergreen (bought a local pharmacy) mixed with about a gallon of water (boots completely submerged) and heated the whole deal on the barbecue to the point where little bubbles were forming on the boots. Kept it at that temp for about 1 hr stirring off and on to keep the wintergreen oil mixing with the water and not settling out. This process worked really well. The boots were initially rock hard and basically unusable. Now all the boots are quite soft and flexible. They are at least as flexible as NOS boots. I had no issues with swelling but the smell of wintergreen does persist for awhile. I did these boots 3 weeks ago and there has been no change in their flexibility, still soft, pliable and fully usable. The smell is diminishing and isn't bothersome. You should do this process outside though as the odor would linger for weeks indoors, maybe longer! I was skeptical of this process at first but am now a total convert. Highly recommend if you want your carbs to seal properly and be easy to install and remove.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:46 am »
I tried Wintergreen and water mix to soften 6 sets of 550 and 650 carb boots. The water method was offered as an alternative to xylene (which you should not heat). I used 8 ounces of Wintergreen (bought a local pharmacy) mixed with about a gallon of water (boots completely submerged) and heated the whole deal on the barbecue to the point where little bubbles were forming on the boots. Kept it at that temp for about 1 hr stirring off and on to keep the wintergreen oil mixing with the water and not settling out. This process worked really well. The boots were initially rock hard and basically unusable. Now all the boots are quite soft and flexible. They are at least as flexible as NOS boots. I had no issues with swelling but the smell of wintergreen does persist for awhile. I did these boots 3 weeks ago and there has been no change in their flexibility, still soft, pliable and fully usable. The smell is diminishing and isn't bothersome. You should do this process outside though as the odor would linger for weeks indoors, maybe longer! I was skeptical of this process at first but am now a total convert. Highly recommend if you want your carbs to seal properly and be easy to install and remove.

Actually, that smell is an improvement in my garage! :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 10:56:33 am »
Make sure you check your boot clamps after a while.  When they shrink, you may have to tighten them up again.  I had to on mine.  Then I had to get new boot clamps because they did not get tight enough.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline wilson889

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:38 pm »
after all these results using the wintergreen oil, how long will they last being soft?? some have said only a couple of minutes.. any estimates of time?
1975 Honda CB 750K

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 12:58:26 pm »
I've been following these threads about the wintergreen treatment and done it now myself quite a few times.

I don't recall anyone saying it only lasts a few minutes?? There is some variation in the way it is done and the original condition of the rubber parts. In my experience the softening is permanent or lasts at least months or long enough to reinstall the part without leaks in the case of carb boots. It is difficult to say if the boots are still soft after a season of riding since I haven't taken them off the engine yet but I did remove the carb rack for some service last week and the boots are still pliable at that end (not the hot end) and they sealed up nicely.  Other parts I have treated (the oil pressure switch boot) are still soft from last year.
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 02:10:12 pm »
My boots are still softer than before.  They just shrunk to the point where I just went ahead and got new hose clamps after about a month.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline wilson889

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »
oh ok, sounds great, my mistake  :)
1975 Honda CB 750K

Offline xlaris

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 06:06:33 pm »
Speaking of boot clamps..where do you find these things? I want something nice and aftermarket I was thinking of using nice hose clamps but dont think the curves will match up.

oh Im also new by the way Xavier out of los angeles  8)

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
Softening hard carb boots
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »
OEM is expensive but there is a guy on eBay that sells nice clamps for much cheaper. They are not slotted and they are flat most of the way around. So, it looks like a band instead of a hose clamp.

What looks like slots are grooves.

I need to find him on there and I will let you know.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:44:37 pm by TipperT »

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 06:43:23 pm »
Here is the eBay auction. Maybe he has more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150502898866

Fast shipping too.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline xlaris

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 03:32:18 pm »
sweet!!

Offline jwk1414

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 01:57:45 pm »
I fought and fought to get the carbs off of my bike a few weeks and eventually sprayed them down with WD40, and they popped right off.  Carbs are ready to go back on but now I can't get the dang things to stay in the boots! They fall out with the slightest touch and I cant get any vacuum going to start the bike. Do I just need to invest in new boots or should I try these methods?

Offline PavelGee

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2011, 05:42:23 am »
Hi, everyone.
This is Pavel from NY.
I recently got my first bike(a small project) 1978 cb750k (k8)
And lo and behold... I learn about the imposibility to get the 2 and 4 carb insulators(boots).
So, not giving up I ordered two new sets of 1 and 3.
Took the old cracked, broken rocks of carb boots off and put the correct new ones in.
Then the fun began - the 2 and 4, although exact mirror images of 3 and 1, are not interchabgable - due to the vertical incline of the intake openings (so they are tilted both horizontally to reach the wider carbs; and vertically for no apparent reason other then improved mixture flow).

When flipped around the engine side of the boot points up and to the right.... ugh
Anywho, I didnt give up then either - I flipped all four boots ever so slightly to come closest possible to a flat and even fit with the carbs. Put everything together and there was improvement, but no way of telling wether I got sufficient sealing.

Can you guys recommend a way to tell if I am losing vacuum at the boots before I look into carb tuning?

Oh, and of course, I am looking for new boots 16112-405-000 and 16114-405-000 or home made versions. I'll take pics when I take carbs off again to show what I am on about for others in my shoes.

Offline 750K8 Kev

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2011, 07:01:06 am »
Hi, everyone.
This is Pavel from NY.
I recently got my first bike(a small project) 1978 cb750k (k8)
And lo and behold... I learn about the imposibility to get the 2 and 4 carb insulators(boots).
So, not giving up I ordered two new sets of 1 and 3.
Took the old cracked, broken rocks of carb boots off and put the correct new ones in.
Then the fun began - the 2 and 4, although exact mirror images of 3 and 1, are not interchabgable - due to the vertical incline of the intake openings (so they are tilted both horizontally to reach the wider carbs; and vertically for no apparent reason other then improved mixture flow).

When flipped around the engine side of the boot points up and to the right.... ugh
Anywho, I didnt give up then either - I flipped all four boots ever so slightly to come closest possible to a flat and even fit with the carbs. Put everything together and there was improvement, but no way of telling wether I got sufficient sealing.

Can you guys recommend a way to tell if I am losing vacuum at the boots before I look into carb tuning?

Oh, and of course, I am looking for new boots 16112-405-000 and 16114-405-000 or home made versions. I'll take pics when I take carbs off again to show what I am on about for others in my shoes.
If you haven't figured it out already, you want to spray the boots at idle with some starter fluid.  You want to listen for a change in RPM as your spraying.  If you have a leak, the starter fluid being sucked in will compensate for a lean mix(to much air).  I am going through the same bs with my K8, I've been looking for new boots, or nice used boots for months...damn bike, it's always something with this thing.  I may just try the wintergreen treatment, don't have a choice at this point if I want to ride my bike again this year.

Offline madrahn

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »
I also have a 78.  Does anyone know if changing out the carbs will mean that the earlier carb boots can now be used?  Basically are the 77 and 78 carbs the reason the boots are different or is it the connection at the engine?  I thought of replacing the carbs with some 29mm anyway but I'm hoping the older carb boots will work so that I can actually order them instead of trying to reinvigorate the old boots.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2011, 09:42:56 pm »

I was shocked that a tiny bottle of wintergreen would cost so much - so I proceeded without it, got great results........
That's all I've ever done with them too.
Xylene and a shot of Tranny fluid in a large glass jar.
They turned from bricks into pliable boots after 4/5 days soaking.
They'll still be fine to use.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Blackandsilver

• dont forget the joker
  • Enthusiast
  • Motorcycles kill brain cells
    • 76 cb750
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

That's all I've ever done with them too.
Xylene and a shot of Tranny fluid in a large glass jar.
They turned from bricks into pliable boots after 4/5 days soaking.
They'll still be fine to use.

I gotta do mine now too.... How long do they stay soft for with the xylene and tranny fluid?

Win some lose some, it's all the same to me.
I will never die

Offline apehanger 550

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:45 am »
  If I had this to do over,I would have used a device to keep the carb boots from swelling so much. What I would recommend is to lightly restrain the OD of the boots with a PVC pipe or possibly use a wrap of thin metal like a cut pop can and then the original band clamps to keep the pressure even.
  Mine swelled up into a flared shape -- thought they were ruined. I threaded them in to PVC female pipe thread adapters and dropped them into an old 30 cup coffee maker for an hour,then into cold water for a time.
  That worked pretty well,and now they will seal fine and are still soft.

Now that more time has passed they are fitting even better. I agree that checking the band clamps will be a routine as they settle in once the bike is running.
  My original boots were so hard that I had to take them off by removing the metal intake tubes from the intake manifold. 

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:34 am »
K and F models carb insulators

Z1 Enterprise
 set of four carb insulators for CB750 K and F models: $76.21

Honda Parts Direct
 $76.88 for set of 4 insulators A and B 

$40.98 CB750 A model sets for Grumberg from Honda Parts Direct if they are still available.

I have been using my Wintergreen and xylene mixture for 2 years on 4 bikes and all are running and idling fine with no vacuum or air leaks. $10 worth of ingredients saved me over $300. Why throw something away if you can make it work again?

Thanks SWAN for giving us DIRECT links and not making us go on a easter egg hunt! LOL...lol..lol

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 10:27:43 am »
The 77-78 carb boots are shorter.