Author Topic: 1979 CB650 (The redhead of the CB line) Cafe Racer Project [UPDATED July 14th]  (Read 9419 times)

Offline Strife

I was wondering, any suggestions for the rearsets? I have been searching and I haven't come across any solutions that specifically mention that they work for a CB650. I was thinking about grabbing these:

http://guzzino.com/tanorese.html

And either figuring out a way to mount them to my bike now (I chopped off the passenger peg mounts to clean up the bike so that's out) or do something like this:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=34781.0

Anyone else out there put rearsets on a CB650?

Offline Strife

Alright, some more progress. I've got the engine mounted back into the frame, so I couldn't resit taking some pics with the seat and tank sitting on top of it. It finally is starting to look like a bike again!

I ended up using a suggestion from someone in this forum, about setting the engine on its side and simply dropping the frame on top of it. Man was that person a genius. I can't remember who mentioned that but it made mounting the engine a snap, and best of all, it makes protecting my paint job just as easy. So here are some pics. Again, I had to use the flash due to low lighting, so the quality isn't amazing, and it tends to blast out the red paint seeing as it is reflective metal, and makes it look bedazzled to all hell. But in person its a much more subtle effect and looks awesome.

In some of these pics you can see where I've wet-sanded, but haven't gotten around to re-spraying the gloss coat, but I will, I promise ;)

On a side note, I just dropped $800 in parts  :o but they include my new 4-1 exhaust, rearsets, new front tire, new chain, new rear shocks and springs, and some other various parts, and should be the last of my large expenditures, aside from getting the seat upholstered. Boy when those packages arrive, it'll be like Christmas come early.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
looking good man.........your doing some serious nice work there.... :o :o :o
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Love your work. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
That motor looks sharp with the paint scheme you are using!

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
Absolutely love it!
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Do0ki3 PWNS

looks great!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
OK it's june already!  >:(
More photos to satisfy our lust for input. :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:57:02 am by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Strife

Hey guys, sorry it's been ages since I posted. I got a bit burned out a while back due to the complexity of some of the things and took a break. But I'm back and the beast is nearing completion. Here are some pics of the bike as it is:

I've hit a snag though. Because I went balls to the wall earlier, I lopped off the passenger peg mounts without thinking that they might be useful for rear set mounts. So, after a lot of measurement and design, we made a CAD model of a rear set design using SolidWorks.

The problem is, around me I can only seem to find metal shops that do large jobs, making them waaaay to expensive for me. So I need help from the community. I am in need of either a very small shop that does one off parts, or a hobbyist with a CNC to make my parts. Anyone out there with the chops? I would of course pay for both materials and labor.

Anyone? Buler? Buler? ;)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
Heck mate, you wait a year then show us something that could well be in BOTM anytime soon? ;D
Looking damn fine there, damn fine. :)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
The bike is looking just sick, buddy.Wish I could help on the machinist part. I have always wanted a Drill-Mill-Lathe combo machine I could be a truly dangerous man at that point.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

nater_1

There are online machine shops that will do one off jobs for a reasonable cost.

Offline Strife

Thanks for the compliments, I'm really excited to get this bike done.

nater_1: I'm Google searching for some now, but do you know of any off the top of your head that you've either heard good things about, or have used yourself?

Hush: Haha sorry man, got a bit burned out last year, along with getting really busy with work, but I'm back now!

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
SLICK UNIT!  The color choice is sick! Love it!!  Like sparkly blood n' black... Tooo cool!  BOTM nominee for sure when this is done... let us know!

Offline Strife

HedNut: I was looking at your sig, and noticed your company HedNut, and was curious, do you do actual machining? If so, would you be able to help out with the aforementioned rearset issue? Or perhaps you know of a small shop or hobbyist that could make them?

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Hey Strife!  I don't actually do any machining myself...I have a group of local shops to do it for me.  I am actually on the search for a reliable "backyard" machinist to pull off small projects here and there for a case of beer or a trade of services....I don't personally know any at the moment.   But I can definately get you some quotes for your rearsets...and know shops who will do "one off" jobs. PM me the details. 

or send them to:

Brendan@hednut.com

Cheers!

Offline Strife

Awesome! I'll send you the files. Thank you!

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
If I had the time, I could do you some rearsets, but I struggle just to do piston sets as it is at the moment.

Wish I had a nice mill and lathe at home, heck even a hobby one of each(although I REALLY want ones like the small ones at work!)

Bike looks AWESOME!!

Any vids of it running yet?

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650